Well-known bed-in-a-box veteran Brooklyn Bedding is jumping into the latex bed market by introducing their Bloom Hybrid. This mattress combines the body-cradling comfort of latex with Ascension X® coils that provide responsiveness and motion isolation. Brooklyn Bloom also comes in two thickness options, 11 inches and 14 inches, giving customers more variety.
This company has nurtured a reputation for keeping their prices affordable by doing all of their manufacturing in-house. This blended latex bed with high-profile coils provides many quality materials for a fraction of the cost you might find in a store.
Our in-depth overview of Bloom Hybrid will show you all the natural materials this bed offers and how you might experience the different features from pressure relief to support and motion isolation.
Stay tuned for a thorough analysis, or click down to the bottom for our overall score.
Excellent Matches For Bloom Hybrid
- Hybrid lovers – Beds made with latex and those with coils have advantages, and this bed has some of each so you can achieve a nice balance of features, such as cooling, bounce, and a pressure-relieving cradle.
- Hot sleepers – The combination of coils with Talalay latex offers some natural cooling capabilities. This latex is open-celled, allowing air to flow through easily so heat doesn’t build up. Innersprings also let air travel through a mattress so hot air flows out, and cooler air can flow in.
- Customers who want more natural materials – This hybrid delivers natural cotton, wool, and latex that provides a sleep experience that is more nature-made, which the company claims is healthier for sleepers.
Possible Bloom Hybrid Considerations:
- It won’t have an all-foam feel. – While the Ascension X® coils in this hybrid should deliver exceptional responsiveness and motion isolation, they will give the bed a different feel than an all-foam construction would. However, if you’re intrigued by this Brooklyn Bedding model, the company will allow you to test out this product under a 120-night trial period. This will give you more than enough time to get used to the feel of this hybrid bed and decide if it’s the right investment for you and your sleep needs.
Construction: What’s Inside the Brooklyn Bloom Hybrid?
Like all of Brooklyn Bedding’s mattresses, this bed is compressed at the factory and sealed into an easy-to-ship box where it can be easily transported up the stairs or around tight corners to your bedroom. It works well with many different standard foundations and bases, including adjustable, slatted, and platform frames. The company suggests that a support system that has minimal or no flex works best with this mattress.
The bed’s 1.25-inch quilted cover is made from organic cotton and Joma Wool™ that creates a plush finish on the top of this mattress.
Based on the thickness of each layer on the company’s website, this bed is a total of 11.25 inches tall.
- Below the cover is a 1.5-inch slab of aerated Talalay latex that was manufactured to be buoyant and body-conforming, and it’s also Oeko-Tex class 1 certified for safety. This layer provides the body with much-needed pressure relief while not making you feel as though you are stuck in the bed.
- Further down, you will find a 1-inch premium transition to help ease you into the supportive coils below.
- The innerspring unit is made with 1,032 individually encased 6-inch Ascension X® coils that compress within their individual pockets to foster motion isolation and supportive body conformance. These are reinforced around the edges for side-to-side support.
- The bottom layer is a 1-inch thick high-density polyfoam that forms the base and reinforces the supportive innerspring unit as the coils compress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Upon receiving your mattress, place it on your bed frame and remove the plastic packing around it. The company recommends waiting 3-5 hours before lying on your new bed to allow it time to fully expand.
Settling into your new Bloom Hybrid, you’ll first experience the soft cover as your body sinks immediately into the highly responsive Talalay. The individually wrapped coils will meet your weight and hold your body in a deeper cradle while still providing significant bounce that is tempered slightly by the latex.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium Firm)
As you lie down, whether on a bed or the couch, heavier parts of the body can create tension and sometimes pain, causing you to feel uncomfortable while you rest. Pressure points don’t have to be a nuisance for you, though, if you invest in a high-quality bed that makes it a point to include design features geared toward pressure relief.
The Bloom Hybrid starts off strong in this department with a plush 1.25-inch cover made with organic cotton and wool. While the soft cover should help soothe achy joints, it’s also breathable to help keep you cool.
The primary comfort source is the 1.5-inch layer of Talalay latex below the cover. Not only is Talalay latex a sustainable product, but it provides buoyancy that should help relieve tension in your muscles and pressure points so you can rest peacefully.
Another important mattress feature to help keep you in tip-top shape is a support system. Support features on beds are typically more firm and durable in order to prevent your spine from becoming poorly aligned as you sleep. This is critical because poor alignment can lead to back and neck pain, which can hinder your lifestyle and well-being.
The 6-inch innerspring unit and foam base at the bottom work together as the coils compress to your weight. The base helps fortify the coils while they compress, which should help prevent the heavier parts of your body from dipping too much and throwing off your spine alignment.
Multiple Thickness Options
Shoppers can choose between an 11-inch Brooklyn Bloom or the 14-inch model.
The natural cotton and wool cover is breathable and helps wick away moisture to help you stay cool. The addition of coils should also keep the bed from overheating since they foster airflow throughout the mattress.
Exceptional Edge Support
The coils are specially reinforced around the edges of this model to provide excellent edge support, far above what we have come to expect in the bed-in-a-box industry. So, if you share your bed and need a lot of space, or if you just like to perch on the side to lace your shoes, you should feel comfortably secure in this mattress.
Latex does an admirable job in this category capturing vibrations at their source and preventing them from bouncing across the bed to annoy a light-sleeping partner. The pocketed coils likewise mitigate unwanted motion transfer, and this bed does well compared to other hybrids in the space.
The Bloom Hybrid prioritizes eco-friendly materials with the use of organic cotton and sustainable Joma Wool™ in the cover, along with naturally-derived Talalay latex in the comfort layer below.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Brooklyn Bloom Hybrid is also compatible with an adjustable base.
Handcrafted in the USA
The bed’s Talalay latex is OEKO-TEX® class 1 certified, which means the material is free of harmful substances.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the contiguous United States. There is an additional fee to ship to Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada.
- Trial - Test drive the Bloom Hybrid for 120 nights and make sure it’s right for you before committing to keeping it. If you decide it’s not for you, send it back for a refund.
- Warranty - This bed is covered by a 10-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11/14”||$799 / $1,099|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11/14”||$899 / $1,299|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11/14”||$1,199 / $1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11/14”||$1,399 / $1,999
|King||76” x 80” x 11/14”||$1,699 / $2,449|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11/14”||$1,699 / $2,449|
|Split Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$1,299|
Bloom Hybrid introduces a new latex choice that is both comfortable and supportive while still being affordable, as we’ve come to expect from Brooklyn Bedding.
Side sleepers, who rest with most of their weight balanced on their shoulders and hips, tend to build up pressure in those areas and need a bit of relief that the Talalay latex can provide. For those who need a bit more relief for sore joints in this position, you may consider the Soft model of the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid instead.
Most back sleepers should enjoy how the soft Talalay conforms to their lower back while the coils cradle their shape in a neutral spine position. Additionally, this bed’s Medium-Firm comfort feel should do well with back sleepers of different sizes.
Stomach sleepers often prefer a firmer mattress to hold heavier hips level with the rest of their body. Many stomach sleepers should feel satisfied with this bed’s medium firmness, but those who carry extra weight or just like a firmer bed may want to look at the Firm option on the Brooklyn Signature, another hybrid from this company.
Combination sleepers tend to love medium-firm responsive mattresses because these types of beds are able to accommodate different positions well and simplify repositioning. As a result, most sleepers should rest comfortably on the Brooklyn Bloom Hybrid as they rotate between different sleep positions.
Couples are a good fit for medium-firm mattresses since these are the most universal for different sleep styles. However, the Bloom also has other important features for couples: motion isolation and edge support. While the motion isolation minimizes your chances of waking up your partner if you move, the edge support gives you two more use of the surface space.
Sleepers with heavier weight considerations may do okay with this model. However, if you find that you need significantly more support, the company has created a bed that’s specially designed for people with larger frames, the Titan Mattress, which may be better for those who weigh 300 pounds or more.
Lighter than average folks who regularly sleep on their back or stomach should be a good fit for the Bloom. However, those who sleep on their side and needed something much more plush should consider the Soft version of the Brooklyn Signature Hybrid instead.
The three inches of soft Talalay on top balances nicely with the 6-inch reinforced coil unit.
In addition to comfort, this bed’s value is increased with the use of more natural materials, a significant benefit for those who want their mattress to be a healthy and eco-friendly bed space.