Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Well-known bed-in-a-box veteran, Brooklyn Bedding is jumping into the latex bed market with the introduction of their Bloom series, and their hybrid combines the body-cradling comfort of latex with their Quantum edge coils that provide edge-to-edge support.
This company has nurtured a reputation for keeping their prices affordable by doing all of their manufacturing in-house. This blended latex bed with high-profile coils provides a lot of quality materials for a fraction of the cost you might find in a store.
Our in-depth overview of Bloom Hybrid will show you all the natural materials this bed offers and how you might experience the different features from pressure relief to support and motion isolation. There is a Soft and Firm option, but for this review, we’re discussing the Medium.
Stay tuned for a thorough analysis or click down to the bottom for our overall score.
You will love Bloom Hybrid if you:
- Are looking for a hybrid – Both beds with latex and those with coils have advantages, and this bed has some of each so you can achieve a nice balance of features, such as cooling airflow, bounce, and a cradle that relieves pressure.
- Want to sleep cooler – The combination of coils with latex offers some natural cooling capabilities. Latex is naturally open-celled, which allows air to flow through easily so heat doesn’t build up. Innersprings also let air travel through a mattress so hot air flows out and cooler air can flow in.
- Want more natural materials – This hybrid delivers natural cotton, wool and a latex blend that provides a sleep experience that is more nature-made, which the company claims is healthier for sleepers.
You might not like Bloom Hybrid if you:
- Want an all-foam feel – While the coils in this hybrid deliver exceptional edge-to-edge support and extra cooling airflow, they will give the bed a different feel than an all foam construction that you’ve been looking for. If you’re intrigued by this model but prefer all-foam, the Bloom model is also available with a latex base.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Like all of Brooklyn Bedding’s mattresses, this bed is compressed at the factory and sealed into an easy-to-ship box where it can be easily navigated up the stairs or around tight corners to your bedroom. It works well with many different standard foundations and bases, including adjustable, slatted, and platform frames.
The plush cover is made from natural cotton and JOMA Wool™ that creates a Euro top finish on the top of this 12.5-inch mattress, which contains three layers. There are handles attached to help you lift the bed.
- The first layer is a 3-inch slab of aerated Talalay latex that was manufactured to be both buoyant and body-conforming. This layer provides the body with its needed pressure relief while not holding it in a stuck position.
- The second layer is made from 8-inch Quantum edge coils that compress within their individual pockets to maximize motion transfer and supportive body conformance. These are reinforced around the edges for side-to-side support.
- The third layer is 1-inch thick poly foam and forms the base that cradles and cushions the supportive coil unit.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our scale measures mattresses from 1, which is like air, to 10, that feels like a rock (if you're not sure how we rate the bed firmness, you can learn here). We’d place this mattress at about a 6, which is just a hair above an exact medium. Beds in the Medium-Firm range tend to be the most popular because they can accommodate the widest range of body types and sleep position preferences, but there is a Firm and Soft option as well.
Slipping into Bloom Hybrid you’ll first experience the soft cover as your body sinks immediately into the highly responsive Talalay. The individually wrapped coils will meet your weight and hold your body in a deeper cradle while still providing significant bounce that is tempered slightly by the latex.
Combination sleepers tend to love Medium-Firm responsive mattresses because they accommodate different positions well and simplify repositioning. They should rest comfortably in this mattress, regardless of their preferred combination.
Most back sleepers, for instance, should enjoy how the soft Talalay conforms to their lower back while the coils cradle their shape in a neutral spine position. Those who want an extra touch of support, however, may lean towards the Firm.
Side sleepers, who rest with most of their weight balanced on their shoulders and hips, tend to build up pressure in those areas and need a bit of relief that the Talalay latex can provide. For extra curvy folks or those who just like a bit of extra relief for sore joints in this position, the Soft option may be preferable.
Stomach sleepers, who exclusively sleep in this position, very often prefer a firmer mattress that can hold heavier hips level with the rest of their body. Many stomach sleepers should feel satisfied with this Medium, but those who carry extra weight in the middle or just like a firmer bed, you do have that choice with this model.
Sleepers with heavier weight considerations should be aware that the manufacturer’s weight limit for this mattress is 800 pounds or 400 pounds per side. Those who are towards the heavier end of this limit may prefer the Firm model because it will provide the enhanced support system that will accommodate their shape.
The company also offers a free change in firmness during the sleep trial. You may request a different firmness, and they will send you a new layer of Talalay to replace your current comfort layer. After the 120 days, you may order new layers for a small charge.
Latex does an admirable job in this category capturing vibrations at their source and preventing them from bouncing across the bed to annoy a light-sleeping partner. The pocketed coils likewise mitigate unwanted motion transfer, and this bed does well compared to other hybrids in the space. For exceptionally light sleepers, Bloom with the latex base may be more your speed.
Quantum edge coils are specially reinforced around the edges of this model to provide great edge support, far above what we have come to expect in the bed-in-a-box industry. If you share your bed and need a lot of space or if you just like to perch on the side to lace your shoes, you should feel comfortably secure in this mattress.
- Multiple Firmnesses Available – The company lets you choose between Soft, Medium, and Firm when selecting a Bloom to come to your home. If you don’t think you chose properly, the company will send you an alternate layer of latex to change the feel for free during the trial.
- Trial Period – Test drive the hybrid for 120 nights and make sure its right for you before committing to keeping it. If you decide you do not care for it, send it back for a refund.
- Warranty – This bed is covered by a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Folks in the 48 continental states can enjoy free shipping, and those in Hawaii and Alaska, as well as Canada, can also buy this mattress for a small additional shipping fee.
- OEKO-TEX Class 1 Certification – The latex in this model was certified safe for babies, which requires an especially rigorous testing process that looks for potentially dangerous emissions, chemicals, or heavy metals throughout the manufacturing process.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.5”||$1,199|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,249|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12.5”||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,799
|King||76” x 80” x 12.5”||$2,199|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12.5”||$2,199
Bloom Hybrid introduces a new latex choice that is both comfortable and supportive while still being affordable, as we’ve come to expect from Brooklyn Bedding.
If you want to try the comfort of latex without sacrificing the familiar airflow and bounce of coils, Bloom may just provide the hybrid experience you have been looking for. The three inches of soft Talalay on the top balances nicely with the 8-inch reinforced coil unit.
In addition to comfort, these more natural materials offer a nature-made cooling system that relies on airflow to keep heat moving so it never settles up next to your skin. High-end certifications help to ensure the air around your mattress remains clean and healthy if you elect to try Brooklyn Bedding’s more natural choice.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”