Memory foam lovers unite! Amerisleep is a bed-in-a-box brand that specializes in high-quality, all-foam mattresses. While the brand does have a hybrid bed or two nestled in its collection, today we’re focusing on its most popular mattress offering — the Amerisleep AS5.
Designed to have a softer feel, the Amerisleep AS5 features proprietary Bio-Pur® foam which Amerisleep claims sleeps cooler than traditional foam, plus it uses eco-friendly materials like plant-based oils.
In this Amerisleep AS5 mattress review, we focus on its features, benefits, and drawbacks, so you can decide whether this Amerisleep is the right choice for you.
Who We Recommend The Amerisleep AS5 For:
- Eco-conscious shoppers – The Amerisleep AS5 mattress is made with the brand’s proprietary plant-based Bio-Pur® memory foam. This open-cell foam allows better cooling than classic memory foam while also providing a more responsive feel than the typical slow-sinking sensation of memory foam.
- Side sleepers – Side sleepers looking for pressure relief should like the AS5 mattress as the combination of foams allows enough contouring to relieve pressure in the hips, shoulders, and knees, while also preventing it from building up again – even if you rarely switch sides.
- Couples -The AS5 mattress should be a good option for partners with different sleeping schedules and habits, as it has excellent motion isolation. The foam absorbs movement well, so you’re unlikely to feel your partner’s tossing and turning.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Amerisleep AS5 For:
- Stomach sleepers – Although the soft feel of the Amerisleep AS5 mattress should fit many people, those who prefer sleeping on their stomach may be left wanting more in the support department. The AS5 is likely to be soft for stomach sleepers who need extra support to prevent the hips from sinking into the upper foam layers.
- Budget shoppers – The AS5 mattress is a high-quality bed, but its price tag is something to keep in mind if you’re shopping on a budget. This bed is on the pricey side, with a Queen-size priced at well over 2,000 dollars.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 4/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Mattress firmness is an important factor that determines whether a certain bed will fit your needs and preferences. We rate mattresses on a firmness scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the firmest. The AS5, the softest in the Amerisleep line, feels like a 4, which classifies it as a soft mattress.
This soft feel should feel good for side sleepers, but those under 130 pounds may also enjoy sleeping on their back and stomach since they don’t sink into the mattress as much. Some average-weight sleepers should also find this firmness comfortable, but this depends on their exact weight and preferred sleeping position.
How Does It Feel?
The AS5 has a softer feel, so you’ll notice more sinkage in the upper layers. The combination of foams eases you in, contouring along your curves to hug every inch of your body. This provides a gentle, pressure-relieving hug, especially for side sleepers who have most of their weight concentrated across a narrow surface.
However, despite this bed’s softer feel, you shouldn’t feel stuck since the Active Flex foam located under the Bio-Pur® layer is particularly bouncy, which should help you reposition.
What We Like About the Amerisleep AS5
- Uses eco-friendly materials – The foams in this mattress are CertiPUR-US®-certified, which means they are free of chemicals, toxins, and harmful substances. In addition, the company included its eco-friendly Bio-Pur®, aka a memory foam alternative made from renewable sources.
- Excels at motion isolation – True to its all-foam nature, the AS5 does an incredible job of absorbing motion so that it doesn’t transfer from one side of the bed to the other. This makes it a great option for co-sleepers.
- Has a cooling feel – This mattress has a cool-to-the-touch Refresh Cover that stays seven degrees cooler for eight hours. In addition, the Bio-Pur® foam has an open-cell structure and is more breathable than traditional memory foam.
Our Amerisleep AS5 Complaints
- May be too soft for heavy people – Anyone heavier than 200 pounds will likely find this mattress too soft regardless of their preferred sleeping position. Heavy people, especially those over 230 pounds, might sink too deeply into the mattress, which can lead to a poor sleeping posture.
- Doesn’t have the best edge support – Softer all-foam beds usually don’t have the best edge support due to the nature of their construction. Sleepers who like using the entire surface of the bed may notice more compression towards the edge of the AS5.
- Off-gassing could be an issue – The AS5 comes in a box, and, much like most all-foam beds, it has off-gassing odors that some people may find too strong for the first few days.
Testing the Amerisleep AS5 Mattress: How it Performed
We tested the Amerisleep AS5 to determine its overall comfort in certain sleeping positions. This way, we can help you decide if this bed is the right for the sleeping position you prefer. In addition, we also test for motion isolation, edge support, bounce, sinkage, and other preference-based features that many people find important when investing in a new mattress.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
According to Amerisleep, the weight limit of the AS5 mattress depends on the mattress’s size. For example, the Queen-size can support up to 700 pounds, but smaller sizes may not. However, let’s also not forget its firmness and feel, which may be too soft for anyone who weighs over 230 pounds regardless of the bed’s weight capacity.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Side sleepers who weigh under 130 pounds should experience enough sinkage and support to keep the spine in neutral while also allowing maximum pressure relief.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Some average-weight sleepers may sink deeper into the Bio-Pur® layer, but they should still find sufficient support that ensures their body is aligned in this position.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers are likely to experience this bed as even softer, which may be uncomfortable due to the sinkage in the shoulder and hip areas.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers should like how the softer foams contour the lower back, ensuring that no pressure builds up.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight back sleepers should feel the AS5’s zoned support in the HIVE® transition layer. This layer ensures the back and head are nicely supported while the hips and shoulders get enough contouring for pressure relief.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Back sleepers who weigh over 230 pounds might want to consider a firmer Amerisleep. Heavy back sleepers are likely to find their hips and lower back sinking too deeply into the mattress.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should find sufficient support in this mattress thanks to its HIVE® transition layer and the Bio-Core® base layer that help keeps your body aligned in this position.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers should find this mattress too soft to support the hips in a healthy sleeping posture, especially those weighing over 160 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers are unlikely to get any support in the hip area due to how soft the AS5 is.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Amerisleep AS5 mattress is an excellent option for pressure relief, thanks to its firmness and feel. The mattress feel is described as slightly soft, which should be comfortable for most people struggling with pressure build-up.
The comfort layer is made from Bio-Pur® foam that contours the body, which allows just enough sinkage to relieve pressure and pain in different positions. The Active Flex layer underneath cradles you in to soothe the sensitive areas without taking away from the overall support level.
Back Pain – People with back pain should benefit from the AS5’s combination of pressure relief and support. The HIVE® layer has zoned support that gives extra support in the back area compared to hips and shoulders. This should help you achieve a healthy sleep posture and reduce back pain, especially if you’re a back sleeper.
Hip Pain – Those with hip pain should like the extra sinkage that the HIVE® layer allows in the hip area. The bed should help relieve hip pain even if you like sleeping on your side since its soft feel and cradling provide exceptional pressure relief.
Shoulder Pain – People with shoulder pain usually sleep on their back to take the pressure off this area. The AS5 mattress should help you find relief as the Bio-Pur® comfort layer contours the area while the HIVE® transition layer offers extra cushion without compromising spine alignment.
Although this bed has superior pressure relief, this doesn’t come at the price of support. The main support lies in the transition and support layers, which are made from denser and firmer foam to support the two softer comfort layers up above.
You’ll first encounter the HIVE® layer, which offers targeted support where you need it most.This layer is softer in some areas and firmer in others, combining pressure relief with enough support to maintain healthy spine alignment. This layer also follows the Active Flex layer above, which adpats to your body as you move on the bed.
In addition, there’s the Bio-Core® layer that gives extra support to all the layers above.
Motion isolation is important for most people, but especially those who share their bed with a combo sleeper or a restless partner. Even people who sleep with kids or pets can be easily disturbed if they sleep light, so thinking about motion isolation is crucial. The AS5 excels in this department as it’s made entirely out of foam.
All-foam mattresses are the best when it comes to absorbing motion, and although this bed has some bounce, you’re unlikely to feel your partner tossing and turning.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Although all-foam mattresses tend to overheat, Amerisleep found a way to eliminate this possibility by including several cooling features. The cooling abilities in the Amerisleep AS5 start with its cool-to-the-touch cover, which draws body heat away from the surface of the bed. The cover is designed to stay about seven degrees cooler compared to a traditional 100-percent polyester cover. In addition, the Bio-Pur® material has an open-cell structure that allows air to flow more easily than it would through traditional memory foam. As such, the AS5 mattress sleeps cooler than traditional memory foam beds.
Read more about cooling mattresses here.
Performance for Couples
Couples who prefer a softer mattress should like the AS5 by Amerisleep. This bed adapts to your body as you move and absorbs that motion to prevent it from transferring to the other side of the bed. This is important for couples with different sleeping habits, as well as people who co-sleep with restless sleepers, or those who like switching positions.
Apart from motion isolation, couples may also like this bed’s bounce and responsiveness. This can help sexually-active couples and those who are combination sleepers.
Far Infrared Energy
The Refresh Cover is made from scientifically engineered fabric that’s designed to convert your body heat into far infrared energy. This may help with muscle recovery by increasing blood circulation.
Amerisleep incorporated several proprietary materials, such as its version of memory foam called Bio-Pur® along with HIVE® and Bio-Core®. These materials work together to deliver a perfect combination of support and contouring.
Eco-conscious shoppers should like the Amerisleep AS5 mattress as it includes an eco-friendly Bio-Pur® foam made from renewable sources. Plus, all foams in this bed have a CertiPUR-US® certification showing they’re chemical-free.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This bed works with all mattress foundations, including an adjustable base for those who want a more customized feel and performance. Amerisleep sells frames and adjustable bases on its website.
Made in the USA
Construction: What’s Inside the Amerisleep AS5?
The Amerisleep AS5 is available in all-foam and hybrid versions, which allows sleepers to choose based on their needs and preferences. The all-foam version we’re talking about here is 14 inches tall and has four layers under the Refresh Cover.
- The cover is soft and breathable, and designed to maintain an optimal sleep temperature. The fabric feels cool-to the-touch and prevents heat from building up around you.
- The first comfort layer is made from the brand’s proprietary Bio-Pur® foam, which mimics memory foam without making you feel trapped. This layer's open-cell design promotes airflow, plus it has a softer feel and should help soothe sensitive areas prone to pressure build-up.
- The second comfort layer is Active Flex, which gives this mattress additional softness and responsiveness. This layer contours to your body without taking away from support. The foam bounces back into its original shape as you move around the bed.
- The HIVE® transition layer is the star of the show when it comes to support. This foam provides targeted support by offering a firmer feel under your head, back, and legs and a softer feel under the hips and shoulders.
- The Bio-Core® base layer enhances this bed’s support by ensuring all the layers above perform at their best. In addition, this is what gives the mattress additional stability so that it doesn’t sag or dent.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Amerisleep AS5 is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which should make it easy to pick up and move to the desired room. However, keep in mind that the box can be heavy, so make sure to have someone help you carry it. White glove delivery is also an option if you want a professional service to install your bed.
To set up your mattress, start by placing the box on your bed foundation before removing the packaging. Once you remove all packaging, the mattress will unroll and start decompressing. The AS5 may take up to 24 hours to decompress before you can use it.
You may notice strong off-gassing odors, which is common for bed-in-a-box mattresses, especially if you waited a while before unpacking your bed. Although the odors may be strong to some, they should dissipate by the time the mattress decompresses.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the contiguous USA. Delivery takes up to seven days.
- White Glove Delivery – Professional installation is available.
- Trial – Amerisleep offers a 100-night trial with the AS5, which should give you enough time to test if the mattress fits your needs.
- Warranty – The AS5 mattress comes with a 20-year warranty.
- Return Policy – Returns are free, but you’re required to keep the mattress for at least 30 days. If you wish to return it before the 30 days are up, you will be charged 99 dollars.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 14”||$2,099|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$2,149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$2,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$2,349|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,649|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,649|
|Split King||80” x 38” x 14”||$3,848|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Amerisleep AS5 mattress flippable?
The Amerisleep AS5 mattress has carefully selected materials which are stacked intentionally to provide pressure relief, cushioning comfort, and support. For this reason, you should not flip this mattress as that would mess up the order of its layers, which would also affect its feel and performance.
Where is the Amerisleep AS5 from?
All Amerisleep mattresses are made in the USA, which allows the company to offer fast and free shipping within the country.
What is the break-in period for the Amerisleep AS5 mattress?
The company suggests you keep the mattress for at least 30 days since this is how long it takes for you to adapt to your new mattress. All Amerisleep mattresses have a break-in period of about 30 days.
Amerisleep AS5 vs. Other Brands
Amerisleep AS5 vs. Nectar
- 14-inch profile
- Bio-Pur® foam
- 100-night trial
- 12-inch profile
- Traditional memory foam
- 365-night trial
Who We Recommend the Amerisleep AS5 For
- Side sleepers
- Lightweight people
- Eco-conscious shoppers
Who We Recommend the Nectar For
- Back sleepers
- Memory foam fans
- Average-weight people
Check out our full Nectar Mattress Review.
Amerisleep AS5 vs. Nolah Signature
- 20-year warranty
- Open-cell foam comfort layer
- Slightly soft feel
- Forever warranty
- Temperature neutral AirFoam™
- Plush-soft feel
Who We Recommend the Amerisleep AS5 For
- Luxury shoppers
- People with pressure build-up
Who We Recommend the Nolah Signature For
- Budget shoppers
- People looking for edge support
- Lightweight side sleepers
Interested? Read our full Nolah Signature Mattress Review.
Amerisleep AS5 vs. Other Amerisleep Models
AS5 vs. AS3
- 14-inch profile
- Slightly soft
- Four layers
- 12-inch profile
- Medium plush
- Three layers
Who We Recommend the AS5 For
- Lightweight back sleepers
- People with hip pain
Who We Recommend the AS3 For
- Average-weight sleepers
- Combination sleepers
- People looking for a thinner mattress
Check out our AS3 Mattress Review.
AS5 vs. AS5 Hybrid
- HIVE® targeted support
- Cradling sensation
- Classic hybrid construction
- Pocketed coil support
- Bouncy feel
Who We Recommend the AS5 For
- Side sleepers
- Lightweight stomach sleepers
Who We Recommend the AS5 Hybrid For
- People with mobility issues
- Those looking for edge support
- Back and stomach sleepers
Amerisleep is a well-known company that offers a variety of all-foam mattresses. The AS5 is among the best-selling models as it delivers a combination of targeted support, pressure relief, sinkage, and bounce that make this bed suitable for most people.
This bed is a treat for side sleepers as it has a slightly soft feel and two comfort layers that allow enough sinkage to prevent pressure in this position. Lightweight and average-weight side sleepers should experience a good combination of pressure relief and targeted support from the HIVE® transition layer.
Back sleepers should benefit from the bed’s targeted support that prevents the hips from sinking too deeply in this position. There is enough cushioning to prevent pressure build-up in the lower back while still keeping the spine in alignment. However, heavier back sleepers may want a firmer Amerisleep mattress.
Stomach sleepers usually benefit from firmer mattresses that can offer enough support for the hips. The AS5 mattress might be too soft for stomach sleepers unless those weighing under 130 pounds. Anyone heavier may want a firmer bed that can do a better job of keeping the hips aligned with the rest of the body.
Combo sleepers, especially lightweight ones, should like the AS5 mattress as Bio-Pur® and Active Flex foams do a good of adapting to your body’s curves in different positions. Although this is a softer mattress, it has some bounce and responsiveness to help with repositioning which is something combination sleepers need.
Couples looking for a softer bed should like the AS5 as it has a slightly soft feel. The bed is made entirely from foam which means it has excellent motion isolation. This is important for partners with different sleeping habits, especially if one person is a light sleeper. However, couples looking for edge support may want to look into the hybrid version of this bed.
Heavy people weighing more than 230 pounds are likely to experience this mattress as even softer. As such, the bed may not provide the support they need to keep the body in a healthy alignment. Although it can handle up to 400 pounds per sleeper, you may feel trapped in this bed if you weigh above 230 pounds.
Lightweight people should like the Amerisleep AS5 mattress thanks to its slightly soft feel that provides a hugging sensation without too much sinkage. Those weighing under 130 pounds should experience cradling and all the perks of targeted support coming from the HIVE® transition layer.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight people should experience a balance of pressure relief and support, depending on their exact weight. Those weighing closer to 200 pounds may want to consider the hybrid version of this mattress, while people weighing closer to 130 pounds should like the softer feel and cushioning regardless of their preferred sleeping position.
Although this bed has a higher price, we think it delivers plenty of benefits and features. More responsive and cooling than traditional memory foam, this mattress uses several proprietary materials to offer a unique all-foam experience. Amerisleep also packs a lot of value by offering a 20-year warranty, which is longer than the 10-year industry standard.
After testing the Amerisleep AS5 mattress, we think it’s worth the hype and attention – that is, if you enjoy all-foam beds. When you first lie on it, you’ll notice how the comfort layers cushion your curves, offering a cloud-like experience in different sleeping positions. Although this may not be the best match for heavy people and those who sleep on their stomachs, side sleepers, average-weight people, and combo sleepers should like it just fine.
While the price point is a bit steep, we do think it’s justified because of the proprietary materials and cool-to-the-touch cover.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.