In recent years, baby mattresses have seen numerous improvements that enhance their safety for little ones. So if you’re on the hunt for a modern crib mattress that can give you peace of mind while your baby sleeps, you may want to consider bed-in-a-box brand Newton –– a company that specializes in crib mattresses.
Newton crib mattresses prioritize infant safety by using 100% breathable, non-toxic materials that prevent infant suffocation. This mattress is also certified by the Australian Firmness Standard Test, which means it meets the ideal firmness level for babies safety, growth, and development.
In this Newton crib mattress review, we closely examine the Original Crib Mattress from Newton Baby and discuss its pros, cons, and performance. That way, you can decide whether this mattress is the right fit for your baby.
Who We Recommend The Newton Original For:
- Newborns and infants – The Newton Original Crib Mattress includes several features that make it safe and comfortable for infants. This mattress is highly breathable, reducing the risk of suffocation. In addition, it’s also 100% washable and remains cool while your baby sleeps.
- Growing toddlers – The Newton Original is also suitable for toddlers. This mattress features “two-stage firmness” that adapts to your baby’s weight and sleeping needs as they grow. While the mattress remains firm for infants, toddlers who weigh a bit more can benefit from the bed’s conforming, responsive qualities.
- Protective parents – This mattress includes several safety features to give you peace of mind as your baby sleeps. The Newton Original is fire-resistant and uses non-toxic, hypoallergenic materials. In addition, each of its layers is 100% breathable, and the mattress maintains optimal firmness for infants.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Newton Original For:
- Organic shoppers – Although this crib mattress contains non-toxic materials, not all of its construction is organic. For this reason, parents looking for a 100% organic mattress may want to look elsewhere.
- Budget shoppers – The Newton Original mattress is on the pricey side, so it won’t appeal to everyone’s budget, especially if you’re after a cheap mattress. On top of that, this crib mattress is even pricier if you go for the waterproof version.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 8/10 for Infants, 7/10 for Toddlers
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Firmness is crucial when buying a mattress for your newborn and toddler. Babies, especially newborns, need a firm surface to sleep on. This means little to no sinkage to ensure there’s minimal risk of suffocation.
We rate mattresses on a firmness scale of 1 to 10, which helps shoppers have a better understanding of how a certain bed feels. The Newton Original mattress is flippable and has two firmness options. The softer one is rated a 7 out of 10 and is best for toddlers, whereas the firmer side falls at an 8 out of 10 and is best suited for newborns.
How Does It Feel?
The mattress has a Wovenaire® core that somewhat resembles dry ramen noodles in appearance. However, don’t let that analogy deter you. When you press down on this layer, you’ll find that the cushioning material is responsive, springy, and impressively breathable.
You’ll also see large gaps among the woven polymer that give the mattress a spongy quality. In theory, you could press your face to the mattress and breathe right through it with minimal discomfort.
Overall, the Newton Original mattress feels firm, comfortable, and lightweight.
What We Like About the Newton Original
- Two firmness options in one – The Newton Original crib mattress is flippable, so your child can use it for a longer period of time. The firmer side is designed for newborns as it has a firm feel, whereas the softer side is for toddlers and has a slightly firm feel.
- Utilizes a breathable design – The bed’s dual-layer and viscose covers are both entirely breathable, which helps reduce the chances of suffocation.
- It’s washable – The two outer layers of the Newton Original crib mattress are washable, making it easy to maintain the bed clean, fresh, and free of bacteria.
Our Newton Original Complaints
- The waterproof mattress costs extra – Many parents opt for a waterproof crib mattress to make cleaning up urine and other liquids quick and easy. However, if you’re looking for a waterproof Newton mattress, you’ll need to pay extra for the Waterproof model of the brand’s crib mattress. You cannot add a generic waterproof pad to the Original model, as this could reduce the mattress’s breathability.
- It’s not 100% organic – Some parents prefer crib mattresses that use only natural, organic materials. While Newton mattresses do contain a few natural materials (like viscose), they also include polymer and polyester. If you’re looking for a 100% natural mattress, you may prefer a company like Avocado.
Testing the Newton Original Mattress: How it Performed
Testing a crib mattress is slightly different than testing a standard bed for adults. Newborns and toddlers rarely share their cribs, so they don’t care about motion isolation. However, things like sinkage, bounce, pressure relief, and edge support are important. The Newton Original mattress is flippable, with one side being slightly firmer than the other. As a result, the two sides perform differently.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
According to Newton’s representatives, this crib mattress has been tested for up to 100 pounds. However, it’s also important to mention that you can still get in to read your kid a bedtime story. Going a bit over the weight limit won’t break the bed, but do keep in mind it’s intended for children up to 100 pounds.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight babies should like the firmer side, while toddlers should prefer the softer side that allows more sinkage and pressure relief.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight sleepers are likely to find the mattress too soft, more so since it has a weight limit of 100 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – We don’t recommend this crib mattress for heavy people since they won’t get adequate support. Instead, they’re likely to sink too deeply.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers weighing up to 100 pounds should experience a nice level of support and pressure relief. Although the firmer side doesn’t allow too much sinkage, babies should feel well-supported in a healthy sleeping posture.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weigh sleepers may sink too deeply into the Newton Original since it’s made for kids up to 100 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy sleepers will likely find this crib mattress uncomfortable as it’s made for toddlers and infants.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Kids who like sleeping on their stomach should find Newton’s Original mattress supportive enough. The Newton has a firmer feel on both sides, so it fits both toddlers and babies sleeping on their stomachs.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer bed that can also carry more weight.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers weighing over 230 pounds should prefer a mattress that can support more than 100 pounds.
Pressure Relief & Pain
Pressure points are areas of the body that come into direct contact with the mattress while you sleep. If your toddler’s bed is too firm, your child may wake up with sore knees, elbows, and hips due to harsh contact with their mattress.
Thankfully, the Newton Original Crib Mattress provides the right cushioning and softness to reduce pressure buildup for toddlers. The mattress’s core is 90% air, allowing it to distribute your toddler’s weight evenly across the bed and gently cradle pressure points.
Back Pain – Kids with back pain should like the firm and slightly firm feel of the Newton Original crib mattress. The mattress doesn’t allow too much sinkage, which is excellent for those with back pain as it helps keep the spine aligned regardless of how your kid likes to sleep.
Hip Pain – Little ones with hip pain should sleep on their back to avoid putting too much pressure on the hips. The softer side allows a bit of contouring for toddlers who like sleeping on their side.
Shoulder Pain – This bed feels a bit firmer, so it may not be the best for relieving shoulder pain for infants who sleep on the side. Heavier toddlers should experience deeper sinkage and better pressure relief in the shoulder area.
Toddlers need supportive mattresses that promote proper spinal alignment as they grow. The most supportive mattresses keep a toddler’s spine in a straight, horizontal position throughout the night by supporting recessed areas and allowing for gradual sinking to cushion pressure points.
The Newton Original Crib Mattress is about as supportive as you can get with a two-stage crib mattress. This 5.5-inch mattress provides a balance of firmness and softness to keep a toddler’s spine in a healthy position, but it doesn’t include any special measures to optimize support.
Motion isolation isn’t too important for babies and toddlers since they don’t typically share a crib. However, we’d still like to point out that the Newton Original mattress is made entirely out of foam and would do a good job of isolating motion. All-foam beds are usually good at motion isolation, and the Newton Original mattress is no exception. In other words, you should be able to sneak out of bed after reading a bedtime story without waking your child.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Babies can quickly overheat if their sleeping conditions aren’t just right. However, using a crib mattress that promotes air circulation can prevent overheating and keep your baby at the optimal temperature overnight.
The Newton Original crib mattress features a lightweight, airy core that promotes air circulation and cools your baby’s bed. This Wovenaire® core is 90% air, making it both comfortable, breathable, and cooling. Your child’s body heat can easily circulate through the Wovenaire® air pockets to prevent the bed from becoming too warm.
Hand-Crafted in the USA
Newton Baby designs and assembles all of its crib mattresses in Nashville, Tennessee. While the company obtains some of its mattress materials from China, it produces its patented Wovenaire® material in the U.S.
This mattress is one of the only crib mattresses on the market that is 100% washable. The two outer layers are removable and machine-washable, making it easy to clean them during the night.
If needed, you can also wash the inner Wovenaire core in the shower. Simply scrub the mattress with soap, rinse it with cool water, and stand it up to dry.
This mattress includes some eco-friendly, natural materials that promote healthy air quality. For example, the mattress utilizes a natural viscose cover, a material derived from wood pulp. Additionally, 90% of the mattress’s core layer is air, while the other 10% is a food-grade polymer. The entire mattress is also recyclable.
This reliable crib mattress meets all American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) crib safety standards. The Newton Original features two 100% breathable outer layers that can prevent accidental suffocation. This means that if your baby accidentally shifts face-down on the Newton Original mattress, they will still be able to breathe through the mattress cover, dramatically reducing the risk of suffocation.
Construction: What’s Inside the Newton Original?
The Newton Original Crib Mattress features a simple yet effective construction that emphasizes safety, breathability, and comfort for your little one. The bed includes one core layer and two covers that you can easily remove to keep the mattress clean and allergen-free.
Here’s a closer look at the three primary components in the Newton Original:
- 100% Breathe-Through, Dual-Layer Cover is a soft, quilted cover that optimizes comfort for your baby. This layer is 100% breathable, reducing the risk of suffocation.
- Next, a semi-synthetic, removal viscose cover makes the mattress flame-resistant without the use of any harsh chemicals. This layer is also 100% breathable and machine-washable.
- Wovenaire® Core is a patented material that Newton uses in all of its crib mattresses. This cushioning material is a safer alternative to traditional foam, springs, and latex that you may see in other baby mattresses. Wovenaire® is 90% air and 10% food-grade polymer, making it lightweight, comfortable, and toxin-free.
The Original Crib Mattress is 52 inches long, 28 inches wide, and 5.5 inches tall. It should fit snugly in all standard cribs.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
When you purchase the Newton Original Crib Mattress, the company ships the mattress to you in a box slightly larger than the mattress itself. The unboxing process is quick and easy, and the mattress does not require any time to inflate or decompress once you remove it from the box.
In addition, any off-gassing odors should dissipate within a few hours.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards. In addition, This reliable crib mattress meets all American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) crib safety standards.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Newton provides free shipping throughout the contiguous United States through FedEx. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, you may need to pay an additional shipping fee. You can expect your mattress to arrive within four to twelve business days of your purchase date.
- Trial – The Newton Original Crib Mattress comes with a 100-night home trial. This trial begins the day your baby comes home from the hospital, meaning you won’t waste trial time if you purchase this mattress before your baby is born. Be sure to register your mattress on the Newton Baby website to qualify for this offer.
- Warranty – Newton crib mattresses come with a limited lifetime warranty that covers material and workmanship defects.
- Return Policy – Returns are easy but you’re required to keep the mattress for 30 days before deciding to return the mattress for a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Price (w/o discount)
|52” x 28” x 5.5”
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Newton Essential and Newton Original mattress?
The Newton Original mattress is more expensive than the Newton Essential because it’s also taller. The Original mattress stands at 5.5 inches whereas the Essential model is 4 inches tall.
Do Newton mattresses fit all cribs?
Newton mattresses are designed to fit all standard cribs. Some of these models may fit more snuggly than others, allowing you to use them for a larger crib later on when your child grows a bit.
Can newborns sleep on the Newton mattress?
The Newton mattress is safe for newborns to use. The Original is made from breathable and non-toxic materials, so there’s minimal risk of suffocation even if your child sleeps on their stomach.
Newton Original vs. Other Brands
Newton Original vs. Saatva Crib Mattress
Who We Recommend the Newton Original For
- Toddlers and babies
- Stomach-sleeping toddlers
- Back-sleeping infants
Who We Recommend the Saatva Crib Mattress For
- Parents looking for an organic mattress
- Those who want a taller mattress
- Kids with allergies
Newton Original vs. Colgate Classica III
Who We Recommend the Newton Original For
- Children age 4+
- Side-sleeping toddlers
- People who want a recyclable mattress
Who We Recommend the Colgate Classica III For
- Shoppers who want something made in the USA
Newton Original vs. Other Newton Models
Newton Original vs. Newton Waterproof
Who We Recommend the Newton Original For
- Toddlers who sleep hot
- Budget shoppers
Who We Recommend the Newton Waterproof For
- Kids in the potty train phase
Newton Original vs. Newton Mini Crib Mattress
Who We Recommend the Newton Original For
- Standard cribs
- Children transitioning to big beds
Who We Recommend the Newton Mini Crib Mattress For
- Smaller cribs
- Newborns and toddlers
- Those who want a washable bed
Overall, the Newton Original crib mattress goes above and beyond to provide a safe, comfortable sleeping experience for infants and toddlers. Here are our scores for specific age ranges and sleeping styles.
Infants (Age 0-1)
The Newton Original crib mattress checks all of our boxes for a safe, reliable, and comfortable baby mattress. However, the bed’s breathable nature is what sends it into the “perfect” range in our scoring system. Not only does this mattress meet safety standards for infant beds, but it goes above and beyond to prevent infant suffocation.
Toddlers (Age 1-3)
The Newton Original’s two-stage firmness makes it suitable for toddlers, newborns, and babies. This mattress remains firm for infants but provides pressure relief for heavier children, making it comfortable and supportive for growing toddlers.
Children (Age 4+)
This mattress has an impressive weight limit of 100 pounds, making it suitable for older children. However, as a crib mattress, it measures 52” by 28”, making it unsuitable for children taller than 50 inches.
Toddlers who prefer to sleep on their sides will find that the Newton Original crib mattress provides the perfect balance of firmness and pressure relief. This mattress gently yields to firm pressure, making it comfortable on pressure points like elbows and hips.
Back-Sleeping Infants and Toddlers
The safest sleeping position for infants is on their backs. As an infant crib mattress, the Newton Original provides a firm, unyielding surface for babies to sleep safely without risking suffocation. However, this mattress also provides the proper cushioning support for toddlers who prefer to sleep on their backs.
If your toddler regularly shifts to their stomach during the night, you can feel confident that the Newton Original will give them adequate comfort and support to maintain proper spine alignment. This mattress contours slightly but does not yield enough to put the spine out of proper alignment.
The Newton Original includes numerous features to help new parents feel confident in their babies’ comfort and safety. While the mattress could be more eco-friendly and may be above some parents’ budgets, it should surpass a typical baby’s needs.
After analyzing all of the Newton Original’s features and comparing it to other crib mattresses, we highly recommend this baby mattress option. The Newton Original crib mattress provides an impressively safe, comfortable sleeping experience all around for babies and toddlers.
Infants can benefit from the bed’s 100% breathable materials, firm support, and cooling qualities that promote restful sleep without risking suffocation. Meanwhile, toddlers can feel comfortable and cradled in this bed, as the mattress should yield slightly to their heavier weights.
Overall, the Newton Original delivers all of the essential qualities and more that you would expect from a modern, high-end crib mattress.
Lead Product Tester
Julia is the Lead Reviewer at Sleep Advisor, specializing in testing out mattresses and sleep accessories – she’s in the right line of work, because she loves to sleep.