Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Don’t work to fit your bed. Make your bed work to fit you.
That is Luft’s motto and the reason the company offers several different custom comfort options to suit the needs of any sleep preference. With 60 years in the mattress industry, this company has dedicated themselves to creating high-quality products for an affordable price.
Our in-depth overview of the Luft will look at the Luxury Firm Multi Sleeper, with references to the Plush Multi Sleeper and Firm Sleeper as relevant. We’ll break down the construction of this item and provide you with an overview of how it performs in important sleep areas.
Check out our full analysis of this product below. Or skip to the end of this review for our overall impressions of this bed and our final scores based on comfort, edge support, cooling, and more.
You will love Luft if you:
- Are looking for personalized pressure relief – With 7 comfort zones, this product is designed to provide Firmer or Softer feels as needed for heavier or lighter areas of the body. This should provide the right amount of pressure relief and support for all sleep positions.
- Sleep hot – Graphite, cooling gels, and an individually pocketed coil system team up to fight the heat and should provide you with a bed with cool sleep experience.
- Want enhanced edge support – This mattress features a Quantum Coil design that should reinforce the edges of the bed, making your sleep surface feel just a little bit bigger. Less Soft foam options should only help to create an even more stable edge.
You might not like Luft if you:
- Need enhanced motion control – Because this item has more bounce than a denser memory foam construction, couples may notice slightly more motion transfer than some all-foam beds can deliver. However, most shoppers are not likely to consider this a dealbreaker when choosing a mattress, and bounce can help with repositioning.
If you want to see something else, you can visit our full list of top picks for 2020 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This product is a foam and individually pocketed coil hybrid, bed-in-a-box product. This mattress is best used on a flat, supportive surface such as foundations, box springs, and platform frames. The company recommends slatted frames have slats no more than 4 inches apart.
The cover is made of a stretchy fabric that should remain breathable and aid in easy repositioning.
The following breakdown of materials refers to the Luxury Firm Multi-Sleeper model.
- The top layer contains 1 inch of Graphene Infused Premium Memory Foam. This material should help to conduct heat away from the body, helping to promote a cooler sleep experience.
- The middle layer consists of 2 inches of High-Density Adaptive Foam. This layer should provide contouring and pressure relief for a comfortable sleep.
- The bottom layer is made up of 1,074 individually wrapped Quantum Coils. This layer has 7 zones to provide personalized support in different areas of the body.
Note: The company does not provide full specifications on their website.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the Luxury Firm at a 6-7.5 on our scale of 1-10 which sees 1 as marshmallow Soft and 10 is hard as cement. This puts this comfort level at a Medium to Medium-Firm. We ranked the Plush bed as a 3.5 and the Firm option at a 9.
Learn more in our firmness scale guide and learn about comfort levels.
The cover should feel Soft and cool, wicking moisture and preventing overheating. The gels inside the comfort materials and the coil system should help keep air circulating to further move heat away from the body. Most buyers should find this item sleeps quite cool.
The Luxury option should provide a minimal cradle with a body-contouring effect. Those who like a deeper hug may opt for the Plush and those who prefer to float on top may prefer the softer versions. Pressure relief should be adequate for most people, but those who want enhanced pressure relief may want to opt for the Plush bed.
You should notice significant bounce due to the pocketed coils beneath the foams. The foams should be slower to respond than latex, but faster than memory foam. This should all add up to easy repositioning for combination sleepers.
Back sleepers should be able to find a comfort level that best suits their individual needs thanks to the Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm options available. Most may prefer the latter two options, as these should provide more adequate lumbar support and promote good spinal alignment.
Stomach sleepers usually prefer a more solid feel and may want to check out the Luxury and Firm versions of this product, depending on their weight or preference. Either of these products should prevent the hips from sinking too deeply and should promote a neutral and straight spine.
Most side sleepers should find the Luxury Firm or Plush options suit their needs, though some may experience pressure in the hips when lying on the Luxury Firm bed. Those who do need a softer experience should opt for the Plush version.
The Luft bed has a variety of options that should meet any shopper’s needs based on their individual preferences. The zoned layer is likely to provide ample support and pressure relief to sleepers of all preferences, helping to promote a neutral spine and eliminate aches and pains from too much sinkage or pushback. Those with different weight or pressure relief concerns should find a suitable option in one of this company’s three different comfort levels.
Foam products should dampen most vibrations, while innerspring items may allow more movement because the springs are connected, causing energy to move throughout the entire bed. The coils in this brand are individually pocketed to help prevent movement from affecting the other coils. As this is a hybrid system, the individually wrapped coils and foam layers should combine to dampen movement and minimize most sleep disruptions.
You should notice higher than average edge support from this mattress due to the Quantum Edge design that puts a row of thin but solid coils right around the edge. There may be compression through the comfort foams, but the coils should help provide stability when sitting or lying at the edge. This should help make the bed feel a little larger, which should be beneficial to co-sleepers and sprawlers.
- Multiple Firmness Options – The Luft Bed comes in Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm comfort levels.
- Trial Period – Luft offers a 100-day trial period for this bed.
- Warranty – This item comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This ships for free in the United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams used in this product are safety-tested and certified to be safe for public use and have low or non-existant levels of harmful chemicals like formaldehyde.
- Charitable Donations – Luft will work to donate returned mattresses.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$749|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$799|
|Full||53” x 75” x 14”||$849|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$1,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$1,299|
Any preference should be met through the various comfort options provided by Luft. Enhanced edge support and good motion control should be present, making this a great option for co-sleepers.
Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm options are all available to provide various levels of sinkage, contouring, and pressure relief. Low motion transfer and enhanced edge support should make this a desirable option for co-sleepers.
Luft’s motto is: Life isn’t one size fits all. That’s why the company offers multiple comfort options to ensure that you find a bed that fits you. This lends a lot of value to an affordable product that uses high-quality materials to provide a luxurious feel for people of all preferences.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.