Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Novosbed is a company based in the United States who decided to branch out to their neighbors in the North. They created Douglas in order to serve Canadian shoppers with a product designed, built, and shipped locally in Canada.
Our in-depth Douglas review will reveal the inner materials of this item, along with suggestions for which types of sleepers should be best-served by it. You’ll also find rankings based on cooling, quality, and other key mattress-shopping priorities.
Keep scrolling to read our comprehensive review, or skip to the end for our overall impression and scores.
You will love Douglas Mattress if you:
- Like a deep hug – Sleepers should immediately sink into the top comfort foam, resulting in a deep hug that contours and provides pressure relief. Solid support should be felt from the lower base material.
- Sleep hot – This mattress features cooling gels in the foam and an added cooling cover. This should prevent overheating despite the deep sinkage.
- Are a Canadian shopper – Douglas proudly designs, sources, and manufactures their products by and for Canadian citizens.
You might not like Douglas Mattress if you:
- Have significant weight concerns – The company recommends a weight limit of 250 pounds per person. If this is a concern, a more sturdy item or a mattress with springs or a firmer base foam may work better.
Also, you can check our top beds in 2020 for more recommendations.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This all-foam product is compressed for convenient box shipping. The mattress can be used on any sturdy surface, including adjustable frames. The company recommends slats that are only 2 or 3 inches apart and a very sturdy box spring with no give to prevent sagging.
The Douglas CoolSense™ Cover features Natural Eucalyptus Fabric™ that is designed to wick away moisture and prevent overheating. The fashionable top cover is emblazoned with a Canadian Rockies design and can be removed via a bright red zipper for easy washing and tumble-drying on a gentle setting.
The total height of this mattress is 10 inches.
- The top layer boasts a 2-inch Luxury ecoLight™ Cooling Gel Foam. This material should promote cooling and pressure relief. It is designed to be responsive and durable.
- The second layer contains 2 inches of Premium Elastex™ Foam. This is a latex alternative that should allow for a quick response and ample support.
- The base layer holds a 6-inch Motion Isolation Support Foam. This should act as a sturdy foundation while absorbing movement to minimize motion transfer. The edges should provide firm support to increase the usable surface of the bed.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
This mattress features a score of 6-7 on our comfort scale. This system indicates a score of 1 would feel softer than a cloud, while a score of 10 would feel firmer than cement. Douglas should come across as medium-firm to firm for most shoppers.
The top cover should feel cool and breathable, allowing moisture to be wicked away from the sleeper. The upper comfort materials should contour to the body, promoting pressure relief as shoppers sink into a deep hug. Firmer support should be noticed once the foundation layer becomes activated.
There should be some bounce, though it is somewhat muted as it comes from the firmer foundation while the upper foams dampen the bounce a little. Similarly, the upper materials may be slow to respond, but the lower base layer should reshape very quickly. Most combination sleepers should experience no trouble in repositioning, though some with heightened mobility concerns may want to consider a topper or a mattress with a coil system.
Most side sleepers should experience soothing pressure relief that allows the shoulders and hips to burrow into the foam without excessive pushback. Those who manage to sink completely through the upper two levels may find the foundation to be too firm for their liking. But overall, the plush feel of the memory foam should work well for this position preference.
Back sleepers should enjoy ample lumbar support as the contouring foam fills the lower back region. There may be some sinkage of the hips, but overall weight distribution should be even, promoting good spinal alignment.
How this bed performs for most stomach sleepers may vary depending on weight and preference. The sinkage of the upper materials could cause improper spinal alignment and the bed may feel too soft for some. Others might find the firmer base support suits their needs very well.
The company recommends a weight limit of 250 pounds per person or 500 pounds for the entire bed. If this is a major concern, a product with a sturdier construction may be preferable.
All-foam items generally perform better than innerspring beds when it comes to motion control, as does this bed. Multiple layers of dense foam should do well to minimize and isolate vibrations, reducing motion transfer. Shoppers with restless partners should be able to sleep soundly without noticing all of their partner’s movements as they toss and turn throughout the night.
All-foam beds often present with some compression when shoppers lie or sit along the edge of their mattress. There may be some compression noticed with the Douglas, but the firm foam around the bottom layer, combined with the foundation’s firmer feel, should prevent people from compressing all the way through the foam. This should be ideal for people who like to hug the edge of the bed as they sleep.
- Trial Period – This product offers a 120-night trial period.
- Warranty – Douglas provides a 15-year warranty for this product.
- Shipping – Shipping is free for most Canadian shoppers. A fee may be required for some very remote areas.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certification promises low VOC emissions and safe levels of additives like nickel or lead.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$649|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$679|
|Full||53” x 75” x 10”||$729|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$799|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$899|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$899|
Canadian shoppers seeking a deep hug and a medium-firm feel should love the affordable Douglas mattress.
This product combines plush, pressure-relieving upper materials with a firm and supportive base layer. This should add up to a medium-firm to firm comfort level that offers a deep hug and enhanced motion control. An easy-to-clean cover is the cherry on this cool and comfortable sundae.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.