Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Following the popularity of the all-foam Bowery, Brooklyn Bedding has introduced their entry-level mattress as a hybrid. Customers with tighter budgets now have the advantage of bounce and air flow to this streamlined design.
Brooklyn Bedding’s prices are already competitively low, but the Bowery expands the market presence for this well-known manufacturer based in Arizona. All of their mattresses are built on site at their own factory, which works to reduce the company’s overhead.
Our in-depth review of the Bowery Hybrid mattress will show you how this bed stacks up to its predecessor and how the coils help or possibly hinder its design, based on your personal preferences regarding firmness, motion isolation, and edge support.
Check out our complete rundown if you have a minute, but if you’re pressed for time, you don’t want to miss the score and summary sections at the bottom of the page.
You will love Bowery Hybrid if you:
- Need a budget-friendly option – In-house manufacturing helps this company establish value across their entire line of products, but the streamlined Bowery hybrid design is priced exceptionally for the hybrid space and is plenty affordable, even for tighter budgets.
- Are shopping hybrids – Hybrids that combine foam with coils take advantage of both worlds, bringing you the bounce and circulating air of innersprings with the gentle comfort of memory foam. This design has been expertly balanced to provide pressure relief and support.
- Prefer to keep cool – Open-cell structure updates memory materials in this mattress so the surface can remain cool, and air flowing through the coils carries hot air away, helping to keep the bed’s insides from trapping unwanted heat.
You might not like Bowery Hybrid if you:
- Prefer all-foam beds – All-foam brands can provide superior motion transfer and a fantastic cradling feel, but updates to traditional coils in this mattress offset light sleeper’s concerns about motion while allowing for greater breathability and temperature control.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
For your convenience, the company’s factory compresses these mattresses and delivers them to you packed into a smaller box that is both easier to ship and carry through your home. Whatever frame or foundation you prefer, this bed will probably work well with it, including adjustable bases.
The top cover’s cotton is stretchy and elastic to ensure a snug fit that shouldn’t pull loose and bunch up. This is quilted to an inch of memory foam to cradle the body in softness. The side panels are an attractive blue on this 10-inch three-layer mattress.
- The first layer starts beneath the quilting and is made from 2 inches of comfort foam that gently transitions into the supportive coils.
- The second layer stands 6 inches high and is made from the company’s Ascension™ coils that compress individually for a body-tailored support system that minimizes the amount of motion that travels.
- The base cushions the coils with 1 inch of high-density poly foam that stabilizes the structure and forms its foundation.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our evaluations score mattresses between an ultra-soft 1 and a hard-as-granite 10. This version is a touch firmer than the all-foam at a 6. Mattresses that are within the spectrum of Medium-Firm sell really fast because their support and comfort balance tend to be more universal among different individuals and their preferred sleep positions.
Read more: Our Firmness scale guideline
Most sleepers should settle immediately into a gentler cradle that is more on than in this model as the quilted memory foam molds to their shape and the pocketed coils conform to their figure. The cover feels soft and plush with the addition of the foam and the cotton is breathable so it should remain cool.
Moving around on the bed, you should feel a pronounced bounce coming from the coil unit that, when paired with the comfort foam’s responsiveness, will make the brand easy to navigate for combination sleepers. The more universal Medium-Firm feel should likewise be a great fit for most sleep position combinations.
Most exclusive back sleepers should like how the pocketed coils and soft foams mold to the curve of their spine so that it remains in a neutral position throughout the night.
Side sleepers should also appreciate how their curves are accommodated and pressure points, that sometimes build up in this position along the hips and shoulders, receive relief from the foams. Those who like extra pressure relief may want a softer bed, like the Soft Aurora or Signature.
The firmness of this mattress should work well for most stomach sleepers, though people who carry extra weight in their stomach and hips, may prefer a firmer mattress for the enhanced support that can keep their middle level with their shoulders and legs.
If you’re trying to decide between the hybrid and the all-foam Bowery, you should know that the hybrid may be a better fit for those with substantial weight considerations.
The cushion of memory foam on the top of this model trap and reduce vibrations in the while the pocketed coils work well to reduce motion transfer in this hybrid, which performs well for mattresses of its kind, and most couples may sleep soundly without disturbing each other with their shifts in position.
The coils in this bed bolster support around the edge of the Bowery hybrid, and its performance in this category is about on par with other mattresses in the bed-in-a-box industry, which typically don’t excel at edge support. Sleeping on the side, you should feel supported, but you may notice some compression if sit with your weight balanced on the edge.
Never thought about edges before? You’re not alone, but if you’re trying to share a smaller space with a partner, firmer edges could help increase the bed’s usable area.
- Trial Period – You are free to try this brand for 120 days to make sure it’s the correct choice, and if you don’t like it, return it for a refund.
- Warranty – This product comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Residents of the 48 contiguous United States receive free shipping with purchase, but shipping is available to Canada, as well as Hawaii and Alaska for a small charge.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – Foams in this mattress have undergone testing to ensure their safety for consumers.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$549|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$649|
|Full||54” x 80” x 10”||$749|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$799
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,049|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,049|
The budget-friendly market just got a little more bounce thanks to Brooklyn Bedding’s introduction of the Bowery as a hybrid mattress that comes with a balanced feel and a cooler sleep.
Brooklyn Bowery’s exceptional value has been enhanced by the inclusion of coils, and this brand represents an outstanding price for the quality in the affordable mattress space. Comfort and support are nicely balanced in a more streamlined design that can work well for most budgets.
With the inclusion of innersprings, the Bowery’s temperature control is more breezy and cool as air travels through the springs to bring cool air in while hotter air is flushed out. Edge support is also slightly firmer as the supportive springs should bolster your weight, even when you’re sitting on the side.
Those looking for great quality for their dollar may have met their match with this brand new hybrid.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.