Following the popularity of the all-foam Bowery, Brooklyn Bedding has introduced its entry-level mattress as a hybrid. Customers with tighter budgets now have the advantage of bounce and airflow to this streamlined design.
Brooklyn Bedding’s prices are already competitively low; their mattresses are built on-site at their factory, which works to reduce the company’s overhead so they can pass savings onto their customers.
Our in-depth review of the Bowery Hybrid mattress will show you how this bed stacks up to its predecessor and how the coils help or possibly hinder its design, based on your personal preferences regarding firmness, motion isolation, and edge support.
Check out our complete rundown or skip to the final score and summary at the bottom of the page.
Excellent Matches For Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid
- Need a budget-friendly option – The Bowery hybrid design is priced exceptionally for the hybrid space and is reasonably affordable even for tighter budgets.
- Seeking a hybrid – Hybrids that combine foam with coils take advantage of both worlds, bringing you the bounce and circulating air of innersprings with the gentle comfort of memory foam. This design has been expertly balanced to provide pressure relief and support.
- Need help keeping cool – Open-cell structure updates memory materials in this mattress so the surface can remain cool, and air flowing through the coils carries hot air away, helping to keep the bed’s insides from trapping unwanted heat.
Possible Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid Considerations:
- Prefer all-foam beds –All-foam brands can provide superior motion transfer and a fantastic cradling feel. Still, updates to traditional coils in this mattress offset light sleeper’s concerns about motion while allowing for greater breathability and temperature control.
- Possibly not firm enough for stomach sleepers – There’s a lot to love about this hybrid mattress, but most stomach sleepers will need a bit more support. Stomach sleepers tend to need a firmer model as their weight tends to dip in their hips in softer beds, compromising back alignment. However, side sleepers and back sleepers will likely find plenty to enjoy in this bed.
Construction: What’s Inside Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid?
For your convenience, the company’s factory compresses these mattresses and delivers them to you packed into a smaller box that is both easier to ship and carry through your home. Whatever frame or foundation you prefer, this bed will probably work well with it, including adjustable bases.
The top cover’s cotton is stretchy and elastic to ensure a snug fit that shouldn’t pull loose and bunch up. This is quilted to an inch of memory foam to cradle the body in softness. The side panels are an attractive blue on this 10-inch three-layer mattress.
- The first layer beneath the quilting and is made from 2 inches of comfort foam that gently transitions into the supportive coils.
- The second layer stands 6 inches high and is made from the company’s Ascension™ coils. Up to 1032 individually encased coils are designed to compress independently for superior motion isolation and a body-tailored support system. This specially engineered design helps to minimize the amount of motion that travels and cradle the curves of your body for customized comfort.
- The base cushions the coils with 1 inch of high-density polyfoam. This material helps to add durability and stability to the structure and forms its foundation. The cushioning of the texture allows the coils to gently compress and do their job to their maximum ability to rest with ease.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Our evaluations score mattresses between an ultra-soft 1 and a hard-as-granite 10. This version is a touch firmer than the all-foam at a 6. Most sleepers should settle immediately into a gentler cradle that is more on than in this model as the quilted memory foam molds to their shape and the pocketed coils conform to their figure. The cover feels soft and plush with the addition of the foam and the cotton is breathable so it should remain cool.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Plush Soft) 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm) 8(Firm)
The Bowery Hybrid will provide most sleepers quality pressure relief. When lying on the floor, you can quickly discover where your pressure points will be. Anywhere excess weight is pooled can create pressure, especially when you’re sleeping on your side and all of your weight is settled on a more narrow surface area.
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid’s approach to pressure relief lies primarily in the foam layers and innerspring coils. The plush foam should relieve pressure on the shoulders, while the extra boost of support in the mattress’s core is boosted with the innersprings. The base layer aides in providing quality pressure-relieving comfort by giving the springs something plush to press down into, maximixing relief.
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid excels in the support department with its innerspring coils which are individually wrapped. The design was engineered to promote durability and long-term use, helping to ensure that the support remains constant over time.
Quality support may be important to couples who are sexually active as well, and the pocketed coils provide a decent amount of springiness. At the same time, the foams help with comfort without sinking too deeply. Most sleepers should find this mattress to provide enough support, as it offers a robust lift for healthy spinal alignment without excess firmness.
The coils in this bed bolster support around the edge of the Bowery hybrid. Its performance in this category is about par with other mattresses in the bed-in-a-box industry, which typically don’t excel at edge support. Sleeping on the side, you should feel supported, but you may notice some compression if you sit with your weight balanced on the edge.
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid arrives in a box via FedEx. The brand advises four to six hours before laying on it, but it may take 72 hours before expanding to its true size.
Innerspring brands allow for natural air circulation, which helps hot air escape the bed for a cooler sleep experience. Innerspring mattresses are amongst the coolest on the market for this reason.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Handcrafted in the USA
CertiPUR-US Certified - this mattress is made with materials that have been tested for low VOCs, heavy metals, phthalates, flame retardants, and other harmful substances.
Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the contiguous United States; and Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada for an additional fee.
- Trial - You can keep this product for 120 days to make sure it’s your dream mattress, and if it isn’t, the company will refund your money.
- Warranty - There is a warranty on this brand good for ten years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$549|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$649|
|Full||54” x 80” x 10”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$849
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,099|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,099|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 10”||$649|
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid is a luxury mattress at an affordable price, and we think most sleepers will enjoy the comfort it offers.
Side sleepers should enjoy the soft construction of this mattress. Most side sleepers will feel the top foam layer and gel cover conform to their curves and relieve the pressure concentrating on the hips and shoulders when they sleep in this position.
This bed is excellent for back sleepers as they should feel the cradling comfort layer in the curve of their lower back and the supportive base foam lift their spine into a comfortable, healthy alignment. This bed isn’t quite as plush as other memory foam beds, making it a nice middle ground between comfort and support.
Stomach sleepers must watch out for spine alignment because the hips (which typically carry our extra weight) tend to dip in this position, which can mess with proper sleep posture. Exclusive stomach sleepers who are average weight or heavier will want to watch that their hips do not dip too low in this model.
This bed goes a long way towards providing specific feels that suits individual preferences.
Repositioning, also a concern for combo sleepers, should be very simple on this mattress because of the amount of bounce coming from both coil units and the responsiveness of the foam.
Couples looking for versatility should enjoy this mattress as it provides adequate edge support, allowing each person to spread out considerably. This feature lets each person enjoy full access to the entire surface of the mattress without feeling like they’ll fall off the edge.
Significantly heavier folks can sometimes struggle to find a mattress that can accommodate their weight without feeling like they’re sleeping on pressure-inducing concrete. Those over 230 pounds will likely prefer a bed more suited to their body size like the Helix.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel that most of these models (the HD, Luxury Firm, and Firm) are much too hard to accommodate them, especially if they are side sleepers. Smaller sleepers’ weight might not be enough to truly activate the coil layers and experience the product’s full potential; however, it shouldn’t be uncomfortable.
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid packs a lot of value into their beds, and their durability promises a return on your investment. Similar beds in retail stores can cost thousands in comparison to what Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid offers for much less, and you still are getting a luxurious feel and free professional delivery.