Are you looking for an organic latex mattress? If so, you’ve come to the right place as we review the SleepOnLatex Pure Green Organic Latex bed. This model features organic latex, cotton, and New Zealand wool carefully crafted to deliver comfort, durability, and support.
What stands out is that the mattress is hand-sewn and shipped fully-assembled. In other words, it’s a bed-in-a-box mattress, compressed for easy shipping and maneuverability.
This in-depth review of the SleepOn Latex mattress will break down the features, layers, and properties of this quality bedding product. Below, you’ll also find recommendations on who should buy this bed and the sleeping positions it should suit best.
Read through for a complete analysis, or skip to the end to find the product recap and scores.
Excellent Matches For SleepOnLatex
- Hot sleepers – Hot sleepers should like the natural temperature regulation latex provides. The material stays cool and is unlikely to overheat, making this bed a good option for those who frequently sleep hot.
- Couples – Although this bed is made entirely out of latex, it offers excellent motion isolation that couples should love. This is especially beneficial for partners with different sleeping habits as you’re unlikely to feel your partner tossing and turning.
- Back and stomach sleepers – Average-weight stomach and back sleepers should find sufficient support in the SleepOnLatex mattress. The bed is available in firm and medium firmness levels, both of which are excellent for these sleeping positions.
Possible SleepOnLatex Considerations
- Possibly too firm for side sleepers – This SleepOnLatex mattress is available in two firmness options: firm and medium. While these are excellent for back and stomach sleepers, they may be too firm for those who prefer sleeping on their side.
- Latex is more buoyant – While memory foam is known for the deep hug it gives, latex is more buoyant. This means you’re more likely to feel like sleeping on top of the bed rather than in it. Although this isn’t necessarily a drawback, it’s an important feature to have in mind if you struggle with pressure build-up.
Weight considerations are important when deciding whether a mattress is right for you. In this case, you have to decide between two firmness options as well, and your sleep position will factor in too.
The SleepOnLatex mattress should be good for lightweight, average, and heavyweight sleepers, depending on their preferred sleeping position. Lightweight back and stomach sleepers should like the medium version, but if they sleep on their side, this may be too firm. Average-weight sleepers have the most versatility. If you’re a side sleeper, we recommend trying out the medium option first, but if you rest on your back or stomach, go with the firm choice.
Heavier individuals over 230 pounds who like sleeping on their side could enjoy the firm model, while those who like sleeping on their back and stomach may need an entirely different mattress. Heavyweight sleepers need maximum support to ensure good spinal alignment, so the SleepOnLatex may not suit their needs.
Construction: What’s Inside SleepOnLatex?
The construction starts with a cover made from 100 percent organic cotton. The cover is quilted with an interior New Zealand wool layer for a softer feel. In addition, wool helps regulate body temperature, insulating the foam and preventing it from overheating. The combination of wool and cotton makes the cover cooler to the touch and more durable.
- The quilted top is made from wool, adding softness and acting as a natural fire barrier. Although latex is naturally cooling, the wool layer helps enhance this by preventing the foam layers from absorbing heat.
- The comfort layer is made from 2-inch thick Dunlop latex for added cushioning and support regardless of the firmness level you choose. This layer is softer than the base, also acting as a transitional layer.
- The mattress base is made from a 6-inch thick natural Dunlop latex that provides support and a foundation for the upper layers. This unit gives the entire mattress durability and structure while also enhancing the support in both SleepOnLatex models.
The mattress is an off-white color and has clean stitching, so it looks simple and clean. Although it’s soft and gentle to the touch, the company recommends using sheets when sleeping on the mattress to avoid spills and stains. The construction is the same for both models, although the firmness of the foam will differ.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Sitting down and lying on the SleepOnLatex mattress gives a unique experience that differs from other latex mattresses. This bed allows a bit of sinkage, which is common for latex beds. However, the mattress doesn’t contour the body as much because of the firmness. However, this should work well for those who don’t like being trapped in traditional all-foam beds.
Although it looks simple, the bed is well-made. The entire construction looks high-quality, and its stitching seems to hold well, even with tugging and pulling.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10 (Medium), 8/10 (Firm)
Both the firm and medium SleepOnLatex models are slightly lacking with regards to pressure relief. This is mainly because they are on the firmer side of the spectrum. However, the medium model offers more pressure relief than the firm if you have to choose one. The medium version of the SleepOnLatex mattress feels softer and more conforming, helping to relieve pressure on the shoulders, hips, knees, and other sensitive points.
Side sleepers typically struggle with pressure build-up the most. Folks who like sleeping on their side and weigh under 230 pounds should find sufficient pressure relief in the medium version. The most relief comes from the bed’s 2-inch Dunlop latex comfort layer. If you’re a side sleeper and weigh over 230 pounds, you need support as much as pressure relief. In this case, the firm model might be a better option.
SleepOnLatex is an excellent option if you’re after a supportive mattress. Both firm and medium models do a good job of supporting the body regardless of your preferred sleeping position. The most support comes from the base of the mattress as it’s the tallest and firmest layer, designed to hold the rest of the construction and your body.
In addition, even the top and comfort layers are on the firmer side, supporting the body to prevent you from sinking into the mattress. For this reason, you’ll feel more like lying on top of the bed instead of in it.
Multiple Firmness Options
By providing firm and medium firmness options, SleepOnLatex targets a range of sleepers. This organic latex mattress fits all sleeping positions (depending on your body weight), offering multiple levels of support and pressure relief for a comfortable sleeping experience.
Organic Natural Latex Foam
SleepOnLatex uses organic natural latex foam that’s hypoallergenic, durable, and comfortable. The foam is made from organically-grown rubber trees and certified through GOLS, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, Fair For Life, and EcoInstitut.
Along with the organic latex, this mattress has organic wool and cotton, so it’s an excellent option for eco-conscious shoppers. The wool is GOTS-certified, acting as a fire-resistant and temperature-regulating barrier. The cotton is also GOTS-certified and grown without synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
Latex is naturally cooling, so you can expect this mattress to be good for hot sleepers. In addition, cotton and wool incorporated in the upper layers help with temperature regulation, keeping the surface of the bed cool throughout the night.
Great Edge Support
Both the firm and medium models provide good edge support, allowing sleepers to sit and sleep near the edge of the bed. The tall base layer is firm enough to provide solid support, so you’re unlikely to feel like you’re sliding off the bed.
Ease of Movement
Dunlop latex gives this bed sufficient bounce and responsiveness, making it easy to move around. Although the surface is plush, you won’t feel the foam trapping your body, so movement shouldn’t be an issue regardless of your body weight.
Latex is more buoyant than memory foam, so these beds can’t offer quite the same levels of motion isolation. However, the SleepOnLatex mattress does a good job of absorbing motion so that both partners can enjoy uninterrupted sleep.
Made in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications This mattress was certified by OEKO-TEX®, a third-party organization that evaluates textiles at all processing levels for acceptable levels of hazardous chemicals and flame retardants. The SleepOnLatex also has an eco-INSTITUT® certification, which signifies that the company has gone above and beyond to ensure levels of hazardous chemicals are well-below safety regulation requirements.
- Certified Organic Materials The cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified, which means the material meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic. The latex and wool are also GOTS-certified.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the United States.
- Bed-in-a-Box - The mattress comes compressed and rolled into a box for easy shipping and maneuverability.
- Trial - You can keep this product for 100 nights to make sure it fits your needs. If not, you can return it for free, and the company will refund your money.
- Warranty - The company offers a 10-year warranty on this product.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 9”||$699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 9”||$749|
|Full||54” x 75” x 9”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 9”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 9”||$1,499|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 9”||$1,499|
SleepOnLatex is a latex mattress made entirely out of natural and organic materials. We think that its high-quality construction and firmness options should fit most sleepers and eco-conscious shoppers.
Average-weight side sleepers should like the medium version of this bed, whereas lightweight sleepers or those need a deeper cradle for their pressure points may prefer something softer. Some heavyweight side sleepers could be a match with the firm side as well.
This bed is an excellent match for most back sleepers. The construction makes it feel like you’re sleeping on top of the bed, supporting the back and hips, preventing them from sinking into the mattress. In addition, the comfort layer gives a bit of cradling to prevent lower back pain.
Stomach sleepers should be careful when it comes to spine alignment because the hips can easily dip in when sleeping on the stomach. For this reason, most stomach sleepers tend to find firmer beds the most comfortable. This SleepOnLatex bed should fit most stomach sleepers, although those weighing over 230 pounds may prefer an even firmer mattress.
Combination sleepers need a bed that fits all sleeping positions and allows easy repositioning. This latex mattress does exactly that, so it’s a good fit for those who like changing positions throughout the night. The bed doesn’t trap you inside the upper layers, so you shouldn’t have any issues moving around.
Couples usually look for a mattress with good motion isolation and edge support. This SleepOnLatex bed absorbs sufficient movement so that partners don’t disturb one another when tossing and turning. In addition, you can use the entire surface of the bed as it has good edge support.
Heavier folks should enjoy sleeping on the firm model of the SleepOnLatex mattress. However, those who are regular stomach sleepers should look at firmer selections or mattresses specially built for larger frames. The mattress has a firm and sturdy base that supports the upper layers, preventing them from giving in under the weight.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel both models are too firm for their needs. Lightweight folks might struggle to activate the upper layers, which can potentially result in pressure build-up, especially if they prefer sleeping on their side. That being said, some lightweight stomach sleepers may feel comfortable on the medium side.
SleepOnLatex is an excellent option for eco-conscious shoppers and those looking for the best value for their money. Latex is hypoallergenic, cooling, and durable, so the bed should last a long time before showing any signs of wear and tear.
Latex beds are an investment because these are typically more expensive than other models. SleepOnLatex is a reliable company that uses sustainable materials to provide comfort for a better night’s sleep while retaining competitive prices.
The Pure Green Organic Latex Mattress is a versatile bed that should fit couples, combination sleepers, and back sleepers best. The bed supports the body to keep the spine aligned, which should help relieve back pain.
We think this bed is a valuable investment that should return fairly quickly as it helps improve the quality of life. Although it doesn’t look very luxurious, it offers a lot for the price.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.