Home Design is recalling their upholstered low-profile standard and platform beds over safety hazards1. More specially, the recall notes that these beds may “break, sag, or collapse” during use, potentially causing consumers to fall or injure themselves. The recall involves the following product list:
- Part Number 80002 Tufted Upholstered Low Profile Standard Beds – Described as a “gray, warm gray, or blue bed frame with standard supports requiring a box spring.”
- Part Number 80032 Tufted Upholstered Low Profile Standard Beds – Described as a “gray or beige bed frame with standard supports requiring a box spring.”
- Part Number 80055 Tufted Upholstered Low Profile Standard Beds – Described as a “silver gray, gray, or black bed frame with standard supports requiring a box spring.”
- Part Number 80071 Tufted Upholstered Low Profile Platform Beds – Described as a “gray, beige, or black bed frame with platform supports which does not require a box spring.”
- Part number 80053 Tufted Upholstered Low Profile Platform Beds. – Described as a “warm gray bed frame with platform supports which does not require a box spring.” Additionally, this frame doesn’t have a center support leg halfway along the side rail.
These products have been sold at Wayfair, Walmart.com, and Overstock.com between July 2018 and November 2023. According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the recall began on January 18, 2024. As of late, the recall involves as many as 527,177 U.S. products, along with 55,857 in Canada.
Currently, 128 beds have been reported as breaking, sagging, or collapsing while in use. There have been a total of 36 injuries reported.
Need a Home Design Bed Frame Alternative?
For those looking for an alternative bed frame to provide more peace of mind, we recommend visiting our list of best bed frames that can accommodate all sorts of budgets.
A favorite among the Sleep Advisor team is the Thuma Bed Frame, which our lead product tester, Julia, tried out for herself. In her review, Julia complimented the Thuma’s strong support and durability.
Explore some of our favorite bed frames here:
Thuma Bed Frame
Known as “The Bed,” this frame comes together without tools and offers robust support with its wooden slats.
Sleep Advisor Score
4.90 / 5
Siena Bed Frame
A premium bed frame made with high-quality leather and hand-sewn touches.
Nectar Aurora Bed Frame
A platform bed frame that combines wood, steel, and a pleasingly clean design.
Tempur-Pedic Contemporary Bed Frame
An especially strong and durable frame that can support tall, heavy mattresses.
Jill Zwarensteyn is the Editor for Sleep Advisor and a Certified Sleep Science Coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
- “Home Design Recalls Upholstered Low Profile Standard and Platform Beds Due to Fall and Injury Hazards”. United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. Webpage accessed January 22, 2024.