Are you looking for a bed that feels like it was designed just for you?
Helix’s founders understand that everyone sleeps differently, so they rely on customer feedback to create a wide range of products with specific position preferences and body types to suit individual needs. Their handy Sleep Quiz allows shoppers to choose the bed that most aligns with their needs and preferences.
This in-depth Helix Luxe review will look specifically at the Midnight version, designed to be a universal mattress with a Medium feel and side sleeper support built in. In addition, we’ll provide scores on comfort, cooling, and more, so you can determine how well this product will match your priorities.
Keep reading for our comprehensive review of this product. Or skip to the end for our final thoughts and scores.
Excellent Matches for Helix:
- Want enhanced temperature control – The proprietary Ultra-Cool phase-changing cover is included with all Luxe products. The gel inside the comfort foam and individually pocketed coils should further enhance airflow and temperature regulation. The cover also contains a plush pillow top for a soft, luxurious feel.
- Are seeking guided customization – Helix provides a guided quiz designed to match shoppers with one of their nine original and six Luxe products that should best suit their individual needs.
- Enhanced support and pressure relief – The Luxe line features zoned materials to provide solid support under the head and feet, with gentle pressure relief for the hips and shoulders. These zoning measures should promote proper spinal alignment and enhance comfort.
Possible Helix Midnight Luxe Considerations:
- Prefer an ultra-firm feel – The pillow top on the Luxe models is made to cradle your shape for comfortable sleep and enhanced pressure relieving properties. However, those who prefer to float on the top of an ultra-firm mattress may like the firmer options of the standard Helix.
- Bed in a Box – If you don’t want your mattress to arrive compressed in a box, you can opt for white glove delivery for an additional fee. Many mattresses that are compressed into a box have an off-gassing period. However, Helix claims it only takes 30-45 minutes for their bed to expand fully before use.
According to the Helix website, each mattress can support up to 1000 pounds or 500 pounds per individual. You can rest peacefully knowing the Helix team meticulously tests these mattresses to ensure they are safe for these weight limits. This high weight limit is quite remarkable, making Helix a stand-out contender for larger bodies.
The body-positive movement of late has sparked many industries to begin accomodating a wider variety of body sizes. However, Helix has not just hopped on the bandwagon. The brand has been incorporating these considerations for years, taking weight, movement, motion isolation, edge support, and more into account. However, smaller framed people will likely want to opt for Helix’s softer models to take advantage of the multiple comfort layers.
The fact that Helix can adequately support heavier bodies also points to the product’s longevity. Knowing that this mattress can sustain significant weight indicates its superior quality and ability to stand the test of time.
What’s Inside Helix Midnight Luxe?
This is a bed-in-a-box hybrid using coils and foam. The bed can be used on any solid surface including adjustable frames, the floor, and bases with slats no more than 5 inches apart. Proprietary foundations, frames, and adjustable bases are available through their website.
The cool and plush polyester Ultra-Cool Premium Pillow Top has been treated with phase-changing technology and should allow a luxury feel and temperature regulation. Each Luxe mattress is 14 inches in height.
Layers of the Helix Luxe bed:
- The first layer utilizes Gel Visco foam to further enhance cooling properties and promote soothing pressure relief.
- The second layer contains Memory Plus Foam. This is a 2-inch material that is designed to adapt to your body weight to provide personalized relief and support.
- The third layer is a High-Grade Polyfoam that should provide a comfortable transition between the comfort and support materials.
- The fourth layer is comprised of 1000+ Wrapped Coils standing at 8 inches in height. These individually pocketed coils are zoned to provide support or pressure relief where your body needs it most. The shoulders should gently sink with the hips more firmly supported to promote proper spinal alignment.
- The bottom layer is a DuraDense Foam that should provide stability to the overall sleep system and help to absorb motion from the coil system above.
Note: The company does not provide full specifications on its website.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Helix Midnight Luxe offers plush support; the high-grade polyfoam and gel memory foam combined with the pillowtop provides soft comfort to help you sleep easily. Settling into the bed, you should feel contouring in your lumbar from the wrapped coils, while the plush pillow top and memory plus foam relieves pressure on your shoulders. Helix Midnight Luxe’s dual coil system gives the sleeper a springy experience, covered in plush luxury.
When lying on the floor, you can quickly discover where your pressure points are on your body. Anywhere excess weight is pooled can create pressure, especially when you’re sleeping on your side and all of your weight is settled on a more narrow surface area. Ideally, you want a bed that can accommodate your unique needs and relieves any discomfort due to excess pressure.
Helix offers multiple Luxe mattress options to help buyers find a bed that suits their needs. Helix enables you to do this by providing a handy sleep quiz to determine which comfort level should work best for you.
According to the company’s website, the soft construction is designed to offer enhanced relief to side sleepers. The Midnight Luxe is intended to provide a universal Medium experience for all sleepers, though this product should also work well for most sleep types.
You should notice a gentle cradle as you sink into the pillow top cover. Once the comfort foams become activated, the zoned construction of this product should allow some body parts to sink slightly while firmly supporting others where support is needed most; this should provide a neutral spine and enhanced pressure relief.
This bed should provide enough bounce in the deeper latex and foam material to allow you to readjust freely, making this product a good fit for combination sleepers or anyone who doesn’t like to feel “stuck” in their mattress. Back sleepers should enjoy the solid lumbar support as well, helping maintain a neutral spine.
There should be minimal motion transfer present in this product compared to most bed-in-a-box hybrid models. The dense materials should absorb vibration and help dampen the movement that may travel through the coil system. As a result, couples should experience fewer disruptions due to motion transfer on this bed.
Helix products perform above the industry standard in this area and their Luxe product line only improves on this. These beds feature reinforced perimeter coils that further enhance edge support and maximize the usable sleep surface for couples and co-sleepers.
Multiple Firmness Options
The company offers nine different comfort options, six of which come in both Standard and Luxe versions. A Sleep Quiz is provided on the website to ensure you choose the right bed to suit your needs.
Adjustable Base Compatible
- Trial Period – Shoppers can get a feel for their new bed with the company’s 100-night trial.
- Warranty – Helix offers a 15-year warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States. The company also ships to most of Canada.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- OEKO-TEX® Certification – This product was certified by OEKO-TEX®, which evaluates textiles at all processing levels for acceptable levels of hazardous chemicals and flame retardants.
- CertiPUR-US Certified – This product should contain no ozone depleters, flame retardants, mercury, lead, formaldehyde, or phthalates and has low VOCs.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 14”||$1,099|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||$1,349|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,649|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,949|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,349|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,349|
Helix vs. Casper
We’ve picked the Casper Hybrid and Helix for comparison in our Versus section because they’re both popular beds with a lot to offer. Each brand has multiple models to choose from, given your needs and preferences.
The Casper Hybrid offers various models, including the Medium Soft, Medium, and Medium Firm. Helix also offers multiple models, including the Soft, Medium Soft, Medium Firm, Firm, and an extra Firm model. Right off the bat, both brands offer high customizability.
Casper provides excellent pressure relief, which the Helix provides well in some models, but leaves a bit to be desired in the firmer Twilight and Dawn beds. Additionally, Casper seems out barely outperform the Helix in motion isolation; only because the Helix offers such a wide variety of models, their consistency lacks in this category.
Where the Helix truly stands out is the temperature control. All Helix mattresses, including their popular Midnight model, are designed to be highly breathable, with high levels of airflow to keep hot sleepers cool through warm summer nights. Additionally, Helix is a Hybrid, meaning the brand employs a blend of foams and innersprings, with the innersprings letting air circulate, further aiding in temperature control.
Full Comparison Here: Helix vs. Casper
Helix is a customizable luxury mattress at an affordable price, and we think the firmness options will help many innerspring lovers find their perfect fit.
The Helix Sunset, Midnight, and Twilight models are well-suited to side sleepers due to their softer construction, making them better pressure-relieving options. Individuals weighing less than 130 pounds should enjoy the plush design of the Sunset. However, even the softer models may not be soft enough for lightweight side sleepers despite the customization.
This bed truly excels for sleepers in this position because of the care that went into providing excellent support and buoyancy for spinal alignment. Most back sleepers should be well-served by the Moonlight, Dusk, and Dawn models, as they give a bit more support than the softer versions.
Stomach sleepers must watch out for spine alignment because the hips (which typically carry our extra weight) tend to dip in this position, which can mess with proper sleep posture. The Helix takes this well into consideration, providing a variety of models to suit individual support preferences. We recommend the Duck model for individuals weighing less than 230 pounds.
Repositioning, also a common concern for combo sleepers, should be simple because of the bounce from both coil units and the foam’s responsiveness. Additionally, repositioning often presents movement, potentially disturbing partners in the night. However, the motion isolation Helix offers should make the concern a thing of the past.
Couples looking for motion isolation should be impressed with Helix’s models that allow both people to sleep without interruption. However, Helix’s edge support leaves a bit to be desired, particularly in the softer models. If you’re a side sleeper who needs superior edge support, we recommend the firmer models or another brand, like Purple or Saatva.
Heavier folks can struggle to find a mattress to accommodate their weight without feeling like they’re sleeping on concrete. However, the diversity of the support systems and firmness options help to ensure a closer match for people in most weight classes while still blending pressure relief with enhanced support.
Lighter than average sleepers may have a hard time finding models to accommodate them. However, the Sunset model will likely be an excellent fit for tinier folks. The softer design of this model should let even petite bodies activate all the layers in the bed for gentle relief.
Helix packs a lot of value into their beds, and their durability promises a return on your investment. Similar beds in retail stores can cost thousands compared to what Helix offers for much less, and you still are getting a luxurious feel, customizable options, and quality products.
Should you buy it? We say yes.
We highly recommend this mattress as we love the customization options Helix offers. Helix’s enhanced temperature control is ideal for hot sleepers looking to stay cool through warm nights. In addition, the mattress employs superior motion isolation, making it an excellent choice for those frequently disturbed by a fidgety partner.
Back and stomach sleepers weighing over 130 pounds should be well supported by Helix’s firmer models, and side sleepers should feel gently cradled by the Sunset and Moonlight beds. While the edge support leaves a bit to be desired, the diverse options make it hard not to find a model well-suited to your needs.