The gist: Beautyrest Black pillows are medium-firm and filled with a plush down alternative with a two inch loft. They’re covered with a Tencel-Lyocell-cotton fabric blend that is cool and moisture-wicking. You can buy a two pack of these pillows at retailers like Costco, Amazon, and Walmart.
Will It Work for Your Sleep Position?
Side sleepers need a pillow that can, literally, rise to the occasion of supporting their neck and head. Pillows with a higher loft level do this best, since they keep weight off of the shoulders. The Beautyrest Black pillow has a two inch gusset and rises a bit higher on the top and bottom. This is too low for most side sleepers.
If you sleep strictly on your side, you can easily fold these pillows in half. Otherwise, you’ll probably want a pillow with a higher loft or adjustable fill level. If you switch from your side to your back while you sleep, you may be able to get enough pressure relief to avoid pain around pressure points like your shoulders.
Read More: Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
The Beautyrest Black is close to perfect for most back sleepers. When you sleep on your back, you need a balance of support and cushion, and Beautyrest Black pillows provide just that. A pillow that’s too high will cause your head to tilt forward, which can kink your neck and even block your windpipe. A pillow that’s too low won’t support your neck’s natural curve, which can cause neck pain and even back pain.
Additionally, the Beautyrest Black pillow is filled with a down alternative fiber fill that can be easily manipulated to cradle your head. It also holds its shape, so back sleepers need not worry about their heads turning out of alignment or the pillow flattening out.
Read More: Best Pillows for Back Sleepers
Stomach sleepers need a lower loft pillow, and even a plush pillow top mattress will suffice for some. Pillows with too much fill or a profile taller than two inches risk arching their neck out of its natural alignment. This is especially problematic since stomach sleepers already turn their neck at a harsh angle.
The Beautyrest Black pillow may be too lofty for some stomach sleepers. Particularly, those with a petite frame will probably want a lower loft pillow. With that said, if you hug your pillow while stomach sleeping, you’re more likely to feel supported and aligned on the Beautyrest Black.
Read More: Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
- Gussets: The Beautyrest Black pillow has a two inch gusset around the perimeter. Gussets ensure that the pillow keeps its loft and shape.
- Down Alternative: The DreamLoft polyester fill is hypoallergenic and eco-friendly. It’s also incredibly plush. Some reviewers even say it feels like they’re sleeping on a cloud.
- Machine Washable: You can toss this pillow into your washer if it gets dirty (though we still recommend using a pillowcase).
- Moisture-Wicking: The cover of the Beautyrest Black bed pillow is made with a 400-thread count blend of breathable cotton (70%) and moisture-wicking Tencel Lyocell (30%). This combo provides maximum airflow.
- Affordable: The Beautyrest Black pillow is sold as two-pack, so you get two pillows for one relatively low price.
- Durability: Customers rave about how well Beautyrest Black pillows hold their shape throughout the night.
- Contouring: The DreamLoft fill is plush and cushioning, but it is supportive enough to contour around the high curve of your neck and low curve of your head.
- Availability: You can buy Beautyrest Black pillows at multiple retailers, but we noticed that they are often sold out. Also, if you buy from a retailer like Costco, you may need a membership.
- Lumpy: Some reviewers noted that their pillow developed clumps in the fill, particularly after tumble drying them. You may want to add tennis balls to your drier or let the pillow air dry. You also may need to fluff up these pillows every once in a while.
What is Beautyrest Black?
Beautyrest Black is a bedding line by Beautyrest. It includes a suite of new products, like the Beautyrest Black pillow and the Beautyrest Black mattress. The Beautyrest Black line is known for special features like cooling gel memory foam comfort layers and the T3 pocketed coil support system.
Can Beautyrest Black pillows be washed?
Yep! You can pop your Beautyrest Black pillow into your washing machine. It’s not specified whether or not you can tumble dry these pillows, so we recommend letting them air dry or tumble dry on low heat with a few tennis balls.
Is Beautyrest Black a good pillow?
Absolutely! From plush, contouring fill to a soft, moisture-wicking cover and machine washable construction, we’re big fans of this pillow. But is it the right pillow for you? That’s up to you, but we recommend it to back sleepers, hot sleepers, those with allergies, couples, and some stomach sleepers.
What is the highest-rated pillow?
In addition to the Beautyrest Black pillow, we’re big fans of the Layla memory foam pillow. It’s filled with shredded memory foam that can be adjusted to the perfect loft level for your body type. You can also read our recommendation for the best pillows for every sleep style.
The Beautyrest Black pillow provides a medium support level that’s most compatible with back sleepers, but can work for some stomach sleepers (also check out the Xtreme Comforts SlimSleeper Pillow) and side sleepers (check out the Leesa Hybrid Pillow). It’s an easy, affordable way to enhance your new mattress or upgrade an old mattress.
Related: Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Review
Shop around to see who has these pillows in stock and who has the best prices. Costco listed their two-pack at $32.99 plus $2.99 shipping, and you get unlimited returns. Amazon sellers have competitive pricing, varied return policies, and generous shipping within the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.
Lead Product Tester
Loren is the Lead Reviewer at Sleep Advisor. She has prioritized sleeping for as long as she can remember, rarely deviating from seven to nine hours each night.
Education & Credentials
- Certified Sleep Science Coach