Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Our Nectar vs. Helix Mattress comparison looks at two different brands that have competing philosophies on marketing their products. One of these brands gives sleepers 15 different mattresses to choose from, while the other believes their single option lays the subject to rest.
Helix Sleep uses a quiz to help their customers find their most ideal bed among an assortment of great hybrid options. The quiz inquires about customers sleep preferences and body type, narrowing your options down.
Nectar’s updated memory foam construction has a large online following. It has gone on to be one of the most recognizable names in the bed-in-a-box industry. But does the hype surrounding this bed compete with the customization that the other brand offers?
Stick around to find out and if you want more info on either one of these products, check out the in-depth reviews.
Quick Comparison: Nectar vs. Helix
SLEEPADVISOR125 or click the button below
- Relieves pressure
- Traditional memory foam feel
- 365-night trial period
MATTRESS18 or click the button below
- Customizable bed
- Hybrid foam and innerspring
- 100-nights trial period
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
A delivery company drops Nectar mattress at your residence, vacuum sealed into a bag. Long staple cotton blended with Tencel construct the covering. It is sewn into a 1.5-inch gel foam.
This construction allows currents of air to freely flow through the fabric, wicking heat and moisture away from you as your rest, so you can sleep cool. This cover helps guards 11 inches of foam materials beneath.
- The top foam, this is 3-inches of patented foam called LushFoam™. As your body’s heat transfers to the bed, the gel in this material spreads surface temperature away from your figure. This material comfortably contours to your anatomy, diminishing nagging pressure and strain.
- The middle foam, this is called Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam. At 1.5-inches thick, this layer fosters facilitated transitioning as your figure gently ease into the thicker foundation of the bed.
- The bottom layer, this is 5.5 inches tall and supports both the bed and your body’s weight. Made from High Vegetable Base Super Core, this substance is designed not only to support your anatomy but should foster correct spinal alignment.
Because Helix is offered in so many variations, this review is going to look at their most versatile model, the Helix Dusk. This mattress is a hybrid design, using a latex alternative and coil support system. It is shipped to customers homes compressed inside of a box.
This bed boasts a Two Touch Design cover that is furnished with a double layered design. The top cover is polyester should feel extremely soft, while the bottom covering uses a Jersey knit with an integrated fire barrier.
This bed is 10 inches tall with 4 layers beneath the cover.
- The top layer is furnished with a 2-inch Helix Dynamic Foam. This material responds like latex for facilitated movement but has been mixed with conforming polyfoam to foster pressure relief.
- The next layer uses a High-Grade Polyfoam that is 1-inch thick. This material is designed to adapt to the sleepers anatomy for added pressure relief.
- The third layer is 6-inches of wrapped reinforced perimeter coils. This design helps to minimize motion transfer while supporting the sleeper.
- The final layer uses a 1-inch DurDense Foam. This helps protect the mattress and supports the coils above it.
The materials and layering in Helix mattresses may vary slightly depending on which model customers order, so it may be important to look specifically at which mattress you are interested in.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Nectar holds a score between a 6 and a 6.5 our firmness scale that looks at beds on a scale of 1 to 10 with a 10 being the firmest. On the other side of this comparison, the Helix Dusk scores at a 6, but the varying models of these beds can hold a score anywhere between a 2 and 9.
Nectar’s firmness works well for varying body types and sleeping positions. Sleepers can rest on supportive memory materials that slowly eases them into a deep hug. As this is an all foam bed, it as little to no bounce but stays firm enough that repositioning sleepers can move around with ease.
The Helix provides a responsive experience that gently cradles sleepers curves. This would likely be the easier of two options for transitioning sleepers, as these models can incorporate latex-like materials, and all models use springs. Nectar could still be an excellent choice, as this memory foam is initially firm under pressure and can give sleepers a good surface to push off.
Both brands should work well for sleepers with different body types and weight considerations, though for significantly heavier folks, it may be worth looking into Helix as they have an option specifically for plus size individuals.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
These products are going to deliver varying degrees of bounce. Nectar should have nearly no bounce at all but does allow sleepers to sink into a nice pressure reliving hug. Despite having a slower responding surface, this bed is fairly easy to reposition on.
The Helix Dusk leaves customers sleeping in a gentle cradle and definitely has more bounce than the Nectar, thanks to the springs. Though in the versions with memory materials, you should expect less responsiveness on top. Both sinkage and bounce will vary depending on which model customers order, but all remain comfortable and easy to move around in.
Comparing Motion Transfer
You know all about motion isolation, or the lack thereof if you’ve ever slept in a cheap hotel where you can feel your partners every movement as they toss and turn on the bed next to you. Most bedding manufactures nowadays have found a solution to this annoying problem.
Nectar is an excellent choice at reducing motion transfer, as the memory cells are built to absorb motion, preventing it from every crossing the surface. And while Helix has coils, these are not like the coils of olden times. These coils are individually pocketed and separated from the others to anchor motion to the spot.
When it comes to motion transfer, either bed is a great option, but Nectar may have a slight upper hand.
Comparing Edge Support
Edge support is a great feature to keep in mind if you share a sleeping space. Maximizing the surface area of the mattress with strong edges gives you and your partner more room to sleep. A weak perimeter can make the sides uncomfortable and unsupportive.
Because Helix uses a reinforced perimeter coil system it comes out on top in this category.
Nectar does not fall far behind, especially for an all foam bed. Resting on the edge of either of these beds is completely supportive, though there is the possibility to experience slightly more compression when sitting along the side of the Nectar.
Nectar vs. Helix Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Long staple cotton and Tencel quilted with memory foam||Polyester and Jersey knit, two covers|
|Materials||High Vegetable Base Super Core, Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam, LushFoam™||Dynamic Foam or memory foam plus, micro coils, high-grade polyfoam|
|Cooling||Gel within the foams, and a breathable cover||An optional cover has phase change material. Foams and coils designed for breathability.|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradling/Deeper Hug*|
|Trial Period||365 nights||100 Nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and U.S. Territories including Puerto Rico, White Glove Delivery is optional||Delivered within USA and Canada|
|Made in the USA||No||Yes|
|Size||Nectar Price (w/o discount)||Helix Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Nectar or Helix?
Although both beds have very different designs, each gets the job done. So, here are some final points to help you decide which bed is best for you.
We Would Recommend Buying Nectar if You are Looking for:
- All memory foam. Customers of this brand can enjoy sleeping in the hugging sensation of memory foam.
- Top tier motion isolation. The memory materials used in this design keep motion at bay, so sleepers can sleep blissfully unaware as their partner gets up to use the restroom.
- A terrific value. This product has a competitive price that other brands are hard pressed to beat. They also go above and beyond by offering their 365-day trial period and an Everlong Warranty.
We Would Recommend Buying Helix if You are Looking for:
- A tailored fit. Helix’s sleep quiz helps customers find the mattress that is right for them. And if for whatever reason the product you choose does not work, their trial period allows sleepers to swap it out for a different option.
- Reinforced Edges. Sleeping along the side of the bed is no fun at all, especially if those edges are weak. Helix’s reinforced perimeter makes the sides of this bed as supportive as the middle.
- Cooling. The coil layers allow air to circulate through the bed’s inside, while the foams are designed to regulate temperatures. For enhanced cooling features, the Luxe offers an Ultra Breathable Cover.
Helix and Nectar, the tailored fit versus classic memory foam. Both beds offer great features but the decision is up to you. Which will it be?
Remember, if you are still having trouble, feel free check out our in-depth reviews on either of these beds.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.