Update: Leesa Hybrid is formerly known as Sapira
If you have been eyeing the all-foam Leesa mattress but are most comfortable with the traditional feel of innersprings, you may want to check out their high-end luxury Leesa Hybrid.
Since their launch in 2014, Leesa has become one of the most recognizable bed-in-a-box brands, who are also known for their dedication to community outreach. They’re also one of few online mattress companies that offer you a chance to try out their products in a store since partnering with chain retailer West Elm.
Our in-depth review of Leesa Hybrid will give you a score of this bed based on an evaluation of comfort, edge to edge support, bounce, motion isolation, and more.
Keep reading for our breakdown of foam and coils or move on to the overall impression and score.
You will love Leesa Hybrid if you:
- Are in the market for a hybrid – It offers many of the best features of both all-foam and innerspring mattresses, which make it a very comfortable and versatile bed. You will get the great pressure relief of foam and high motion isolation without sacrificing the long-lasting support of a coil system.
- Sleep on your back or stomach – Leesa scores slightly firmer than average, which will be great for many back and stomach sleepers who are looking for a slightly firmer bed to keep their spines in alignment without sacrificing pressure-relieving comfort.
- Have heavier weight considerations – According to Leesa, the Hybrid was designed to accommodate individual weights up to 350 pounds, which is significantly more than some other bed-in-a-box competitors.
You might not like Leesa Hybrid if you:
- Want an all-foam mattress – Beds with innerspring bases like Leesa can offer a bit more bounce and generally have a different feel than a product made without them.
Do you want to view more options? Click here to view our complete list of mattress reviews. Or if you want to see a list of beds you can check our top 12 beds for 2021 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Leesa Hybrid is compressed and delivered in a box. It is suited for most solid frames and bases, including slatted frames, solid box springs, bunkie boards with box springs, adjustable bases, and platforms. The company also sells their own foundations through their website.
A cover made from a soft knitted breathable polyester and the company’s signature stripes gives the entire bed a smooth and sleek finish. If absolutely necessary, this cover may be removed and machine washed inside-out on a delicate cycle, but the company recommends spot cleaning.
This hybrid contains 5 distinct layers and stands 11 inches tall.
- The first layer is a 1.5-inch layer of Cooling Premium Top Foam that is aerated with pinholes to improve temperature regulation. It is quick-responding and has some bounce which aids in a sleeper’s repositioning.
- The second layer is a 1.5-inch layer of memory foam that contours to the sleeper’s curves and provides comfortable pressure-relief. Memory materials have a reputation for trapping heat, but by positioning this layer away from the body, that heat is more isolated.
- The third layer is 1 inch of core support foam that forms the transition between the comfort layers and coils and provides extra motion isolation and contouring.
- The fourth layer is a 6-inch Quantum core pocketed coil system made from steel that extends edge to edge for continuous support over the mattress’ entire surface area.
- The fifth layer is another 1-inch layer of stabilizing foam for the coils to rest upon.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our scale of firmness, Leesa scored 6.5 to 7 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. We would categorize this mattress as a medium-firm feel, which will be comfortable for most people and especially ideal for stomach and back sleepers.
Lying down on the soft cover, you will feel your body settle onto the foams. After a few seconds pass, you will feel the memory layer activate and provide additional contouring and pressure relief. Overall, you will sleep closer to the top of this bed rather than in it, and it will give you a gently floating, cloud-like experience.
This bed’s aerated top layer of foam, breathable cover, and innersprings work together to promote airflow and regulate temperature, keeping the bed cool, so you should not have problems with overheating. Sleeping closer to the top with more of your body’s surface area exposed to the air will also help to keep you cool.
In addition to strong support, the coil layer provides a medium-level bounce. Even with a memory layer in the bed, the overall responsiveness of the bed is fairly quick, so the quick responsiveness and bounce come together to ease repositioning. Combination sleepers who turn during the middle of the night should not have issues adjusting.
Back sleepers can enjoy the firm support of pocketed coils that should keep their spine in good alignment while the foams contour to their spine. Read more about the most optimal support for people who sleep on their back here.
Most side sleepers will appreciate the pressure-relieving top layers of foam that reduce stress on their hips and shoulders and the spinal-alignment from the coil system, especially side sleepers who are significantly heavier than average. Side sleepers who are significantly lighter and need a little more help to sinking in for contouring may want to try the all-foam Leesa. And if you want to read more about their preferences, you can find useful information about side sleepers here.
Stomach sleepers will be well served by this slightly firmer hybrid that should keep their hips from sinking too deep and creating problems with their spine alignment. Why do they need firmer bed? Find out all about the stomach (belly) sleeper here if you're interested.
Overall, the Leesa Hybrid is a great choice for most sleepers, even those who are heavier than average. If the Leesa Original mattress interests you but you have some higher weight considerations, the Hybrid is a great alternative.
Leesa Hybrid performs exceptionally well in this category compared to some other hybrid beds. Memory foam consistently shines with motion isolation and individually pocketed coil system that is wrapped in 1-inch layer of stabilizing foam works really well to keep motion from transferring from one part of the bed to the other because the coils flex independently of one another.
Couples (especially light sleepers) who worry about becoming a disruption to each other’s sleep at night will appreciate this bed’s excellent motion isolation.
This mattress’ coil system extends edge-to-edge, which means support available in the middle also extends to the sides and is exceptional compared to many other boxed beds. When sitting on the side, you will notice some slight compression through the comfort layers but will feel well-supported by the coils. Lying down on the side should feel the same as lying in the center.
This is especially important for people who share their bed and need to use more overall space on the mattress.
- Trial Period – You may try Leesa for 100 nights to make sure that it is right for you or return it for a full refund.
- Warranty – The brand furnishes a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping and returns are available throughout the USA and Canada.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams are have been evaluated for levels of harmful chemicals, heavy metals, and ozone depleters, which includes formaldehyde, lead, and mercury.
- Giving Back – The Leesa company is committed to giving back to their community and donates one mattress for every 10 mattresses sold and plants one tree for every mattress sold.
- Adjustable Bed Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||$1,199|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$1,299|
|Full||53” x 75” x 11”||$1,599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,899|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$2,099|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$2,099|
Leesa Hybrid has combined the sleek foam structure of Leesa’s flagship bed with a steel coil system for long-lasting support and comfort.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
Leesa Hybrid is a luxury-level hybrid from the makers of Leesa, a bed-in-a-box online retailer that is committed to giving back and providing truly excellent value. It is a unique hybrid that will be especially comfortable for back and stomach sleepers, as well as those with heavier weight considerations who can sometimes go underserved with some bed-in-a-box mattresses.
For those in the market for Leesa’s quality and durability with the added bonus of a Quantum coil unit, this hybrid easily stacks up to retail store brand hybrids that are substantially marked up thousands of dollars. Unlike most online mattress offerings, you can try it out before you buy it at one of the company’s galleries or at a West Elm retail store.
Leesa is manufactured in the USA by a company that believes in investing in the future, and this hybrid is a solid investment for you to consider as your next mattress.