Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
What if a mattress could feel as good on your nose as it does on your back? What if you could buy it for hundreds less than you would spend in a retail store?
Zinus’ entry-level bed includes green tea and charcoal in their memory foam to keep your bed smelling fresh from when you open the box through years of comfortable sleep. The company is aimed at designing for every preference and keeping their choices budget-friendly.
Our in-depth Zinus Green Mattress review will help you decide if this is the right product for you by scoring it with a system that evaluates features like pressure relief, firmness, and motion isolation. While there are a few different heights and firmness levels available for this mattress, we will be concentrating on the accommodative 10-inch version.
Take a moment and read our evaluation or cut head to the score and conclusion.
You will love Zinus if you:
- Want a budget-friendly choice – This mattress is priced to fit almost any budget and contains pressure-relieving memory materials that often cost hundreds more in retail stores.
- Have a sensitive nose – The infusion of green tea extract, charcoal, and castor seed oil help to offset the industrial “new mattress smell” associated with many bed-in-a-box options and keep it smelling fresh as you live and sleep on it.
- Need motion isolation – Not many materials can absorb motion quite like memory foam, and the 2.5 inches on the top of this all-foam construction should keep you sleeping peacefully even if you share the bed with a restless partner.
You might not like Zinus if you:
- Sleep really hot – Memory foam has a reputation for retaining heat, but the convoluted base structure and the aerated second layer were designed to keep the air moving, which should keep most sleepers cooler than more traditional memory materials. But if you are someone who sleeps exceptionally hot, you may want to upgrade to the company’s Cooling Gel offering, or you can check out our top picks for cooling bed category.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This all-foam bed arrives at your door compressed in a box, which can be easily transported to your room. All-foam beds typically require flat, non-flexible surfaces such as platforms or closely slatted frames, though this bed is adjustable base compatible. Zinus also manufactures their own bed frames.
The cover is made of knitted Jacquard, which means there is an intricate design incorporated directly into the fabric’s weave, which is known to be stretchy and stable.
The 10-inch version of the bed has three layers.
- The first layer is 2.5 inches of BioFoam®, a memory foam that conforms to your curves and offers pressure relief. It has also been infused with green tea extract, natural castor seed oil, and ActivCharcoal that helps wick away moisture, discourages bacterial growth, and gives the product a pleasant smell.
- The second layer contains 2 inches of what the company calls Pressure Relief High Density Foam with an aerated design to improve airflow through the mattress, which helps keep its temperature regulated. This layer provides additional pressure relief and forms a transition between the softer top layer and the base layer below.
- The third layer is a 5.5-inch high-density base layer that is convoluted, a structure that looks like egg crate on top that allows air to flow more easily through the mattress and keep it cool. This layer is the bed’s main source of support for the sleeper and gives the mattress its shape.
You can also purchase this bed in a 6-inch, 8-inch, and 12-inch height which will differ in both dimension, specifications, and range from firmer to more plush.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the 10-inch version of the mattress as 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, where 10 is the firmest. Other versions are also available which are firmer or more plush relative to their height, but the medium type of firmness will appeal to a diverse population of individuals and accommodate most sleep positions.
The memory materials in this mattress are designed to hold your body in a deep hug that contours to your whole body for all-over pressure relief. As you sink into the first layer, you will experience the more supportive second transition layer as well as the firmer base that will help keep your spine aligned.
Though memory materials have a tendency to retain heat, Zinus has offset these concerns by adding a base with a convoluted structure that promotes airflow, as does the second layer of aerated foams. Most people should experience a comfortably cozy sleep without overheating.
There is minimal bounce in this bed and with the slower-responding comfort layer, combination sleepers, who tend to change position a lot, may require slightly more effort to move around, but it will likely be worth it because the 10-inch version does sleep comfortably in multiple positions.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the supportive spinal alignment as well as how well the comfort layer contours to their lower back while sleeping.
Most side sleepers will love the way Biofoam® relieves their pressure points and holds their spine in good alignment. Exclusive side sleepers who may desire some additional pressure relief may consider the plusher 12-inch option.
Most stomach sleepers will feel supported without feeling their spine is overly arched by their hips dipping low. However, those who sleep exclusively on their stomach, especially those with extra weight in their midsections, may prefer the 8-inch firmer option.
Firmness and comfort are relative to body size, shape, and preferences, but the 10-inch version should suit the most people, especially combination sleepers. If you have heavier weight concerns, note that the company has established a 250-pound weight limit in the Twin size and 500 for sizes Queen and larger.
Memory materials really excel with motion isolation because of their ability to absorb and contain vibrations, and there is very minimal transfer of motion in this bed. If you share your bed space and worry about being disturbed by comings and goings, this would be a great choice.
Bed-in-a-box brands do not typically shine in this category, and the Zinus Green Tea did as expected based on industry standards. Sitting on the edge, you will notice some compression, especially in the comfort layers. Lying down on your side, you should feel secure. Edge support is not a deal breaker for everyone, but if you share a smaller space with a partner and need more room to move around, you may want to consider it.
- CertiPUR-US® – An evaluation of the foams in this mattress shows acceptable levels of chemicals associated with mattress production, including formaldehyde, certain flame retardants, and ozone depleters, as well as heavy metals like lead and mercury.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
The Zinus Green Tea was designed to provide the deep hug of classic memory foam at an extremely affordable price.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
Zinus Green Tea represents considerable value in the entry-level space and incorporates a lot of creative materials like tea extract, castor oil, and charcoal to keep the mattress smelling fresh and clean.
The top layer of BioFoam® will contour nicely to your body and relieve your pressure points, as the aerated transition layer and convoluted base conform to and support your curves while helping to regulate temperature. The result is a classic deep hug experience that will help keep you cozy and comfortable all night.
This bed is a great choice for someone looking for a classic memory experience, especially those without thousands of dollars to spend in the retail space. The attractive price point makes this memory bed experience accessible to almost any budget.
If you want to browse more, take a look at our top bed list for this year.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.