Zinus is a bed-in-a-box mattress brand specializing in low-cost options and aiming to dominate the budget mattress space while providing good quality and high value for each purchase. They offer customers customizable mattresses with a generous, industry-standard trial and warranty deal.
Zinus’ entry-level bed includes green tea and charcoal in their memory foam to keep your mattress smelling fresh from when you open the box through years of comfortable sleep.
While a few different heights and firmness levels are available, our in-depth Zinus Green Tea Mattress review will concentrate on the accommodative 10-inch version.
Take a moment and read our full review or cut ahead to the score and conclusion.
Who Do We Think Matches With Zinus Green Tea?
- Budget-friendly shoppers – This mattress is priced to fit almost any budget and contains pressure-relieving memory materials that often cost hundreds more in retail stores.
- Scent-sensitive sleepers – The infusion of green tea extract, charcoal, and castor seed oil help to offset the industrial “new mattress smell” associated with many bed-in-a-box options and keep it smelling fresh as you live and sleep on it.
- Folks who share a bed – Not many materials can absorb motion quite like memory foam, and the 2.5 inches on top of this all-foam construction should keep you sleeping peacefully even if you share the bed with a restless partner.
Possible Zinus Green Tea Complaints:
- It may feel too warm. – Memory foam has a reputation for retaining heat, but the convoluted-base structure and the aerated second layer were designed to keep the air moving, which should keep most sleepers cooler than more traditional memory materials. But if you are someone who sleeps exceptionally hot, you may want to upgrade to the company’s cooling gel-infused memory foam addition.
- Minimal Edge Support – Like most memory foam beds, Zinus has limited edge support. Lying near the edge of the bed, you may feel like you could roll off, which makes it difficult to use the entire surface of the mattress.
Construction: What’s Inside Zinus Green Tea?
The bed’s cover is made of knitted Jacquard, which means there is an intricate design incorporated directly into the fabric’s weave that is known to be stretchy and stable.
The 10-inch version of the bed has a total of three layers.
- The first layer is 2.5 inches of BioFoam®, a memory foam that conforms to your curves and offers pressure relief. It has also been infused with green tea extract, natural castor seed oil, and ActivCharcoal, which helps wick away moisture, discourages bacterial growth, and gives the product a pleasant smell.
- The second layer contains 2 inches of what the company calls Pressure Relief High-Density Foam with an aerated design to improve airflow through the mattress, which helps regulate its temperature. This layer provides additional pressure relief and forms a transition between the softer top layer and the base layer below.
- The third layer is a 5.5-inch high-density base layer that is convoluted, a structure that looks like an egg crate on top that allows air to flow more easily through the mattress and keep it cool. This layer is the bed’s main source of support for the sleeper and gives the mattress its shape.
You can also purchase this mattress in a 6-inch, 8-inch, and 12-inch height, which will differ in dimension, specifications, and range from firmer to plush. However, the number of layers remains the same with all height options.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
After you unbox your new mattress, it will typically expand in 48 to 72 hours. While memory foam is known for giving off that unpleasant “new mattress smell,” you shouldn’t have to worry about that with this bed. The infusion of green tea, castor seed oil, and charcoal in the foams reduces these odors.
Settling into this bed, you should feel the green tea memory foam conforming to the natural shape of your body while the comfort layer relieves pressure on the shoulders and hips.
Firmness Scale: 6/10
The memory materials in this mattress are designed to hold your body in a deep hug that contours to your whole body for all-over pressure relief.
When your body weight is concentrated in one area, the excess pressure can disrupt sleep and lead to aches and pains. One of the benefits of memory foam is that it does a good job of conforming to your body in multiple positions, alleviating pressure, and preventing pain at its source.
Sleepers looking for extra pressure relief may opt for the 12-inch version that is slightly more plush with extra cushioning to help relieve pain and accommodate curvier body types.
With the slower-responding comfort layer, combination sleepers, who tend to change position a lot, may require slightly more effort to move around, but it will likely be worth it because the 10-inch version should sleep comfortably in multiple positions.
As you sink into the first layer, you will experience the more supportive second transition layer as well as the firmer base that is designed to keep your spine aligned. While this medium-firm option should provide good support for a wide range of sleepers, heavier frames or those looking for a little extra support may want to consider the 6- or 8-inch firmer models.
If you have heavier weight concerns, note that the company has established a 250-pound weight limit in the Twin size and 500 for sizes Queen and larger.
This brand is all about designing beds for every preference, so they have lots of options that allow you to customize your sleep experience based on your needs. This bed is available in varying levels of thickness (which changes the firmness) and with an optional cooling gel memory foam layer.
This bed ships rolled up and compressed in a box. When it arrives, all you have to do is unroll your new mattress and wait for it to take shape. Removing middlemen saves the company money, which they pay forward by keeping prices low.
Great Motion Isolation
If you sleep light and you share a bed with a human or furry friend, motion isolation is something that will likely be important. Memory foam mattresses do a good job of minimizing movement across the bed, so even if your bedmate is rolling around, you can still be off in blissful dreamland.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This low-maintenance mattress can be used with a box spring, platform bed frame, slatted base, bunkie board, or adjustable bed frame as long as it is on a flat surface.
An evaluation of the foams in this mattress shows acceptable levels of chemicals associated with mattress production, including formaldehyde, certain flame retardants, and ozone depleters, as well as heavy metals like lead and mercury.
The Zinus Green Tea mattress was designed to provide the cozy hug of memory foam at an extremely affordable price.
Most side sleepers will love the way Biofoam® relieves their pressure points and holds their spine in good alignment. Exclusive side sleepers who may desire some additional pressure relief may consider the plusher 12-inch option.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the supportive spinal alignment and how well the comfort layer contours to their lower back while sleeping. Those looking for a little more lumbar support may opt for the firmer 6- or 8-inch options.
Most stomach sleepers will feel supported without feeling their spine is overly arched by their hips dipping low. However, those who sleep exclusively on their stomach—especially those with extra weight in their midsections—may prefer the 8-inch firmer option.
Some people spend part of the night in one position and shift around while they sleep. Finding the best mattress that can accommodate multiple positions isn’t always easy. Firmness and comfort are relative to body size, shape, and preferences, but the 10-inch version should suit most people, especially combination sleepers.
While this mattress doesn’t have the level of bounce that some couples may be looking for, it makes up for it in the area of motion isolation. The 10-inch model also has a lot of versatility regarding different body types and sleeping positions. However, it lacks the edge support some couples may prefer.
This bed was designed to hold up to 250 pounds in the Twin size and up to 500 pounds in the Queen size. Sometimes, all-foam beds lack the durability and support that heavier frames need to prevent “bottoming out.” While this bed does have a supportive base, the firmer 6- or 8-inch models may be a better fit for those with weight considerations.
Foam tends to work well for lighter frames and allows them to experience the full potential of the bed. This medium-firm option should help lighter folks to achieve a good balance of support and pressure relief in all sleeping positions.
This bed is a great choice for someone looking for a classic memory feel, especially those without thousands of dollars to spend in the retail space. The attractive price point makes this green tea memory foam-bed experience accessible to almost any budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is the Zinus mattress so great?
Part of what makes Zinus so remarkable is that it offers a quality product at an affordable price. Mattresses are significant purchases, so due to this fact, it can be easy to put off buying one. Zinus’s business model cuts out the middleman and ships directly to customers.
Is Zinus made from safe materials?
The Zinus mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, which means it’s crafted without ozone depleters, flame retardants, mercury, lead, formaldehyde, and phthalates, letting buyers sleep comfortably knowing they are resting atop a safe product.
Is there a trial period and warranty?
Zinus offers a 100-night sleep trial period to allow buyers to ensure they can fall asleep comfortably and wake up rested night after night. With over three full months to test it out, buyers can purchase worry-free, knowing they only have to keep their mattress if they feel it’s right for their needs.
If there is a manufacturing defect, Zinus backs their product with a 10-year limited warranty, granting peace of mind for years to come.
Can I finance it?
Yes, you can finance the Zinus mattress. Zinus recognizes that beds are a significant purchase and wants to provide everyone the opportunity for a decent night of sleep for years to come. You can finance through Affirm, a payment solutions company, to offer flexible options.
Can I sleep on my Zinus the first night?
The product could take up to 72 hours to fully decompress. However, it is completely safe to sleep on the first night and will not impair the decompression process, letting you enjoy your product from day one. In fact, sleeping, walking, and jumping on the product helps to fluff up the mattress.