Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
What does it take to create the perfect mattress?
That is exactly what Zonkd set out to discover. Having worked in the sleep industry for years, the company’s founders combined their knowledge and industry contacts to put together a line of products they felt would check off everyone’s top priority list for the ideal sleep experience.
This in-depth overview of the Zonkd will look at the mix of memory foam and latex materials and features of this bed, along with who we think it is best-suited for. You will find rankings based on cooling, comfort, and more.
Read through the full review for a comprehensive look at the Medium mattress and how it compares to the Soft and Firm options. Or skip ahead to the end for our overall impression and final scores.
You will love the Zonkd mattress if you:
- Want excellent motion control – The comfort layer should provide enhanced energy absorption for minimal motion transfer. This is ideal for those with restless partners or people who share with their children or squirmy pets.
- Like an all-foam feel – This product combines the contouring of Memory Foam with a deeper level of bounce that should aid in repositioning. Combination sleepers and those who like the feel of Memory Foam without being “stuck” should enjoy the benefits of this design.
- Are a combination sleeper – With a universal Medium feel and deep bounce, sleepers who change positions frequently should experience ample support and easy movement.
You might not like the Zonkd mattress if you:
- Prefer an innerspring mattress – If you prefer the feel of a traditional innerspring mattress, this product may not be for you. However, enhanced motion control and extra cooling properties make this bed worth a look.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Zonkd Medium mattress is an all-foam Memory Foam and Latex hybrid bed-in-a-box product. This product can be used on most flat frames including platforms, bunkie boards, a traditional box spring, or a slatted base with slats no more than 3 inches apart to help prevent sagging.
The cover should feel soft and plush to the touch. It is designed to have antimicrobial for extra relief for those who may have allergies. The company’s logo is stitched into the white and dark navy blue cover.
The total height of the mattress is 12 inches.
- The first layer is a Copper Contour Layer made up of Memory Foam that has been infused with Copper Gel. This layer should provide pressure relief and a moderate cradling effect but should remain cool thanks to the conductive nature of the copper.
- The second layer consists of Talalay Latex for a slight bounce and a deeper, quick response that should allow for easy repositioning despite the initial sinkage. The density of this layer changes based on the Firmness level that is being used.
- The Foundation Layer is comprised of a sturdy, Firm foam to create overall stability throughout the entire base.
Note: The company does not provide full specifications on their site.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rank the Medium option at a 6.5 out of 10, making it a slightly Firmer Medium feel if 1 were feather soft and 10 were rock hard. We give the Soft option a 4 and the Firm sits at an 8.5. Most sleepers should be satisfied with this versatile Medium feel, but those who prefer something Firmer or Softer may try the other versions of this bed.
Learn more: Our Bed Firmness Scale & Guide
The initial comfort layer should be slow to respond. You should notice a gentle cradle in the Medium with slight contouring that should fill the lumbar region and provide support for a neutral spine. The memory foam is meant to provide pressure relief and a cool sleep experience thanks to the copper gel infused throughout.
Sleepers should notice minimal surface bounce because of the energy absorbing comfort layer. The Talalay Latex beneath the top layer does provide a quicker response and a deeper bounce that should provide easy repositioning that should help to reduce any feelings of being trapped in foam.
Combination sleepers should find this bed suits their needs well, especially those who prefer a Medium feel. The neutral spinal alignment and contouring should provide pressure relief and minimize aches and pains.
Back sleepers should sense an even weight distribution and solid lumbar support, which should help to relieve pain and pressure for most. Those who prefer a different sleep experience can try the Soft or Firm options.
Stomach sleepers may find themselves sinking too deeply in the hips, which could lead to the spine becoming unaligned. The Firm option may be best-suited to these sleepers, especially if you remain in this position for much of the night.
Side sleepers may experience some pushback in the heavier areas of the body, such as the hips and shoulders. They may want to seek out the Soft version of the Zonkd bed to better suit their preferences.
Comfort is a personalized preference and everyone may experience this bed differently. Sleepers of all kinds should enjoy this Medium option, but Soft and Firm versions are available if those are preferred.
The Latex inside the bed does provide a minimal bounce, but as this layer is buried between the base and comfort layers, motion transfer should be kept to a minimum. You should notice very little sleep disruption from restless partners or pets as the Memory Foam absorbs most vibrations.
Edge support is sometimes a consideration for those who sit on the bed to prepare for the day or people who share their sleep surface with partners, pets, or children. A slight compression may be noticed when lying on the edge of the bed, with deeper compression present when sitting. This product performs as expected for an all-foam bed and this compression is not usually a dealbreaker for most shoppers.
- Multiple Firmness Options – Zonkd beds are available in Soft, Medium, and Firm comfort levels.
- Trial Period – Zonkd offers a 110-day trial period so shoppers can get a feel for their new bed.
- Warranty – The company offers a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This item ships for free throughout the United States.
- Oeko-Tex Class 1 Certified – The Latex in this product is certified to be free from harmful materials. This rating indicates that children under 3 years old are safe to use this bed.
- Charitable Donations – The company works in partnership with Wrenn House to offer free duffel bags and pillows to all children seeking shelter there. They also conduct periodical fundraisers, such as donating a portion of sales to the Susan G. Komen foundation during the month of October.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$999|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,049|
|Full||53” x 75” x 12”||$1,249|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,299|
|King||76" x 80" x 12”||$1,499|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 12”||$1,499|
This bed should provide excellent motion control and easy repositioning, making it a great choice for couples and combination sleepers.
Zonkd set out to create the perfect sleep experience for everyone. For them, that meant providing a variety of comfort levels so each shopper could choose the feel that best suits their individual needs.
With Soft, Medium, and Firm options and a combination Memory Foam and Latex feel, this bed definitely has its bases covered. Add to that enhanced motion control and cooling properties and you have a bed with a lot of value.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!