Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Soft, medium, or firm? All-foam or hybrid? There are so many options!
Thankfully, our Zenhaven vs. Brentwood Cedar comparison is here to help you make an informed decision on your next mattress purchase. We’ll look at the features of Zenhaven’s all-foam latex bed, created by parent company Saatva to provide affordable luxury to all.
Then we’ll compare and contrast those results with Brentwood’s natural and organic hybrid created by a company dedicated to environmental causes and healthy sleep.
Quick Comparison: Zenhaven vs. Brentwood Cedar
- Reduces heat retention
- Dual firmness
- Hypoallergenic bed
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Pressure relief and support
- Bed with bounce
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
The company does not compress this all-foam latex mattress before shipping it. This means shoppers will not need to worry about off-gassing or letting the bed reform before using it.
This 10-inch mattress has an organic cotton cover with an inch of New Zealand wool quilted into it to provide temperature regulation and a plush feel. There are different comfort feels on either side of the mattress, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush. We will discuss the construction from the perspective of the Gentle Firm option being face-up.
- The initial layer is 1.5-inch Talalay latex. There are 5 comfort zones provided on this layer that should provide enhanced support to the shoulders and hips, with more gentle relief and compression in other areas.
- The second layer contains a firm 3-inch Talalay latex that helps to make up the Gentle Firm feel when shoppers use the mattress on this setting.
- The third layer consists of a softer 3-inch Talalay latex. The material used in this layer should be softer than the one above it, helping to create the Luxury Plush comfort option.
- The final layer holds a second 1.5-inch 5-zoned Talalay latex. This material is softer and should provide pressure relief and enhanced support in the hips and shoulders when the bed is flipped to make this the top layer.
Brentwood Cedar Construction
This is a hybrid product that combines organic and natural materials like flaxseed and coconut husk with coils and latex. It is compressed and boxed when shipped.
The cover of this 13-inch bed is made of organic cotton and Summerweight New Zealand wool that should promote temperature regulation. Organic cotton fibers create a pillow top effect that should feel plush and inviting.
- The top layer consists of a 2-inch Dunlop latex. This should create the medium feel provided by the bed and is designed to promote bounce and airflow.
- The second layer holds a 2-inch Grooved Dunlop latex. The grooves in this material should enhance airflow, which can aid in cooling. The material offers 3 comfort zones that provide varying levels of support and pressure relief for the shoulders, lower back, and legs.
- The third layer contains Individually Wrapped Coils standing 8 inches in height. Extra reinforcement in the coils located in the lumbar region offer lumbar support and promote proper spinal alignment. The pocketed design should allow the coils to react independently to the sleeper’s weight and position, this should minimize motion transfer and promote pushback or compression where it is most needed.
- The base layer is a 1-inch Coconut Husk foundation that provides stability to the upper materials and eliminates the use of adhesives.
- The perimeter features reinforced coils to ensure stability and consistency from edge-to-edge.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Using our comfort (firmness) scale, we have assigned a number between 1-10, which should indicate how each product will feel to most shoppers. This system assumes that 10 is a very firm and solid feel, while 1 should feel soft and plush.
Zenhaven’s Luxury Plush model is ranked at a medium-soft 4.5. The company’s Gentle Firm sits at a 7, which should feel medium-firm to firm to most people. The Cedar holds a score of 6, which should feel medium or medium-firm.
Anyone seeking a versatile medium feel might be drawn to the hybrid. The dual-sided options offered by the all-foam offer slightly softer or firmer feels, which might draw side or stomach sleepers as they tend to swing toward these ends of the spectrum.
Both beds should provide temperature regulation due to the wool inside the covers. They also both offer zoned comfort. Zenhaven’s comfort layers are split into zones that provide soothing pressure relief or supportive pushback where it is needed most.
The Cedar features zones in its comfort material, along with enhanced lumbar support in the coil secton. These features work to allow the body to sink or remain floating as necessary to support even weight distribution and a proper spinal alignment.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Shoppers should sink into the upper latex of the all-foam bed, coming to rest inside a deep hug on the plusher setting, or a gentle cradle using the firm option. There may be less sinkage noticed in the Ceder, allowing people to float on top of the bed inside a gentle cradle.
Because both products use materials with fast response times, repositioning should not be an issue for combination sleepers on either mattress. If, however, enhanced mobility is a key feature for you, the hybrid should provide higher levels of bounce because of the coil system. Zenhaven provides moderate levels of bounce, which is to be expected for a springy latex item.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Both beds carry quite a bit of bounce, which may allow some motion to travel through the layers. Most shoppers should not experience any issues when sleeping on either product. Exceptionally light sleepers or those with very restless partners might want to opt for Zenhaven as the all-foam construction should isolate more motion than the coils inside the Cedar.
Comparing Edge Support
The latex in the all-foam bed may allow some compression when lying on the edge and a deeper compression when sitting. For the most part, buyers should feel comfortable enough sleeping on the edge without worrying about losing stability.
Those looking for extra support in this area might be drawn to the hybrid. This product features reinforced coils around the perimeter that should promote consistent support all the way across the bed.
Zenhaven vs. Brentwood Cedar Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||New Zealand wool and organic cotton||Summerweight New Zealand wool and organic cotton|
|Materials||Talalay latex||Dunlop latex, coils, flaxseed, coconut husk, hydra silica sand|
|Cooling||Wool, pinholes in latex||Wool, aerated latex, pocketed coils|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug, Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Warranty||20 years||25 years|
|Trial Period||120 nights||1 year|
|Certifications||OEKO-TEX® and GOTS certified||eco-INSTITUT®, OEKO-TEX®, and GOTS certified|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free to parts of Canada and the United States, free White Glove Service is available||Free in the continental United States|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Zenhaven Price (w/o discount)||Brentwood Cedar Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Zenhaven or Brentwood Cedar?
Have you decided on the all-foam or the hybrid? Still not sure which mattress is the perfect one for you? Check out the below recommendations to see which product we think will work best for which types of sleepers.
We Would Recommend Buying Zenhaven if You are Looking for:
- Dual-sided firmness options. This product can be flipped, allowing buyers to switch between a Gentle Firm or a Luxury Plush comfort setting. This should allow shoppers to experience the firmness level required as their needs and preferences change.
- Zoned comfort. The upper materials on either side of this mattress boast 5 zones that offer varying levels of compression. This should tailor the support and pressure relief to suit the shopper’s position and sleep habits.
- An all-foam experience. Multiple layers of latex wrap the sleeper in a deep hug. Enhanced motion control and pressure relief promise hours of uninterrupted, soothing sleep.
We Would Recommend Buying Brentwood Cedar if You are Looking for:
- A versatile medium feel. The firm support of the coils should intertwine with the softer latex material to create an overall medium level of comfort. This feel should be comfortable for most sleep types.
- Enhanced zoning . The second layer in this bed contains 3 comfort zones that offer different levels of compression and pushback. There are reinforced springs in the lumbar region of the coil unit to provide enhanced support to the lower back, giving two separate zoned layers.
- A natural hybrid experience. This product combines the gentle relief of latex with the solid support of coils. Natural materials like coconut husk and flaxseed reduce the number of chemicals or harsh materials in this bed.
The differences between these all-foam and hybrid beds are as clear as night and day … which should make each a perfect match for a specific type of sleeper. If you love multiple comfort options, pressure relief, zoned comfort, and enhanced motion control, Zenhaven will look great in your home. If you want a medium feel, enhanced support, zoned comfort, and more natural materials, you can’t go wrong with Cedar.
If you would like a closer look at either mattress, head back to the top of this guide for links to each in-depth review.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.