Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Inspired by the wellness benefits of yoga, the founders of Yogabed set out to create an all-foam mattress using their 40 years of experience in the mattress business, and their aim was to create a healthier sleep space.
Though this product was originally launched in 2015, it was recently acquired by Marpac, makers of sleep sound machines, who are looking to expand their foothold in the sleep market.
Our in-depth review of Marpac’s Yogabed will take a look at all the angles and score the mattress based on our system, evaluating details like temperature regulation, support, repositioning, and pressure relief.
Check out the detailed analysis, or continue on for the scoring and summary sections.
You will love Yogabed if you:
- Like quick-responding foam – If you enjoy memory foam but don’t like its classic deep hug feel, this might be a good alternative. The quick-responding top layer will conform nicely to your curves and assist the second layer’s memory materials with pressure relief, but you should not sink too far or have difficulty moving around.
- Want to stay cool – Yogabed has incorporated several temperature-regulating features to keep you from sleeping too hot. Specially designed fibers in the cover maintain a constant comfortable temperature, and gels and ventilation in the foam layers help to wick away heat and keep air flowing.
- Want to keep their bed clean – The foams are certified free from harmful chemicals and have been designed to be hypoallergenic. The Zip-n-Wash cover can be machine washed and dried, as well as replaced, if necessary.
You might not like Yogabed if you:
- Want a traditional innerspring feel – The supportive core should keep your spine aligned and the designers use breathable and ventilated foams to improve airflow, but the feel and bounce are different from what we expect from innersprings.
If you want, you might want to check our top list of beds for 2020.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
As soon as you place your order, your all-foam Yogabed is compressed into a box at a manufacturing facility in Indiana and delivered straight to your door. Most solid foundations, frames, or platforms will work fine with this mattress, as well as adjustable bases.
The breathable cover is a thin, stretchy fabric integrated with THERMOCOOL® technology, which is smart temperature-regulating fiber cross-sections that absorb and carry heat away when the body is hot and release it again when the body cools, continually maintaining a comfortable temperature.
The top of the Zip-N-Wash cover can be zipped off and is one of few in the industry that can be machine washed and dried. If needed, additional covers are available for sale through the company website.
The internal construction includes four foam layers and the bed stands 10 inches tall.
- The first layer is 1 inch of the company’s proprietary Instant Response Foam™ that blends the best qualities of memory products with a springy feel similar to latex (yet contains no actual latex). This blend is hypoallergenic, ventilated for airflow, and infused with YogaGel™ to wick away heat. This layer conforms to your body’s curves for high-quality pressure relief that should not overheat.
- The second layer is 2 inches of YogaGel™ Memory Foam, which is ventilated and infused with gel to carry away heat. This layer provides both deep contouring and support while transitioning between the comfort layers and the base.
- The third layer is 5 inches of breathable base foam, which is the bed’s main source of support for the sleeper. This foundation also delivers stability and structure to the mattress.
- The fourth layer is another 2 inches of high-density poly foam, which was added to give the bed additional stability, shape, and continuity of feel.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
In our experience, medium-firm mattresses tend to be the most versatile because they can accommodate many different body types and sleeping positions. We scored Yogabed at a 6.5 out of 10 on our scale of firmness, with 10 being the firmest. This places it slightly firmer than medium.
You can learn more about our firmness scale and scoring system here.
The cover is soft and cool to the touch and is stretched tight against the layers. Lying down on this bed, you’ll notice how quickly the first layer of Instant Response Foam™ conforms to your shape while you gently sink into the memory materials in the second layer.
Overall, the sinkage in this mattress has a medium cradle. You won’t sink so deep that you’re stuck, and the quick response foams on top ease repositioning.
There is some bounce coming from both the top and base levels. These features plus the versatile firmness score make this mattress a great choice for combination sleepers who tend to change positions while they sleep.
Most back sleepers will like how quickly the first layer contours to the curve of their lower back. The base layers deliver enough support to keep their spine straight (you can see what back sleepers need to look for in this article). Substantially heavier back sleepers or those who require additional support might want to look at mattresses in the firm range.
Most side sleepers will notice the contouring of the top comfort layers while the firmer base layers keep their spine in good alignment. Sleepers who are significantly lighter may notice that their weight does not quite penetrate the layers for maximum pressure relief in their hips and shoulders, and they may want to try a softer mattress (you can see some great options for side sleeping position here).
Most stomach sleepers will appreciate the support they receive from the medium-firm feel, especially through their hips. Hips can be a problem area for people in this position when they sink deeper into the mattress than the rest of their body, which can result in lower back pain (you can see more about beds for belly sleepers here). Sleepers who are significantly heavier or need extra support may seek out a bed that is slightly firmer.
The Yogabed will suit a wide variety of sleeper’s body types and preferences. Those with substantial weight concerns may want a firmer mattress. Exclusive side sleepers who are more petite may find the pressure relief they need in a slightly softer bed.
One of the preference-based features to look at is how a mattress absorbs movement at the point of impact and keeps it from traveling across the bed. People who share their sleep space may worry about disturbing their partner by rolling over or getting up. Foam, especially made with memory materials, tends to excel in this category, and the motion transfer on the Yogabed is pretty minimal.
Another preference based feature is edge support. Bed-in-a-box brands that are rolled up into a box typically don’t have extra support in their edges. There is some compression when you are sitting on Yogabed’s edge, which is to be expected. You should still feel comfortably supported when lying down on the side with your weight spread out.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third-party organization has tested the foams in this bed for harmful ozone depleters and chemicals, including mercury and formaldehyde.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
Yogabed is made from long-lasting materials and has a machine-washable cover that provides a comfortably cradled sleep that is easy to clean.
We are not experts on chakras, but we think Yogabed has built a very solid and comfortable bed with materials made to last. By using a direct-to-consumer model, Marpac is able to offer high-quality materials at a competitive price point compared to similar retail models.
This bed is built with some high-performance materials. THERMOCOOL® technology will help keep you from overheating, and the Instant Response Foam™ will keep you from getting lost inside your mattress. The Zip-n-Wash cover is completely machine washable, which will help you keep your sleep space germ-free.
Marpac wants to help you recognize “bedhead as a badge of honor” and delivers enough quality and comfort to help you find your best resting pose.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.