Better sleep is always the goal, but what about healthier sleep? That’s the goal of this company’s products that range from sleep sound machines to actual mattresses. Yogabed is the flagship design with a zip-off cover for easy cleaning and an innovative take on responsive memory foam for superior pressure relief.
Our in-depth review of Marpac’s Yogabed will look into the mattress specs and score the bed based on our system, evaluating temperature regulation, support, and much more.
Check out the detailed analysis here, or continue on for the scoring and summary sections.
Who Do We Think Matches With Yogabed?
- Hot Sleepers – Yogabed utilizes gel-infused memory foam and specially designed fibers in the cover to improve airflow. With extra ventilation throughout the foam layers, this should perform above the industry average in temperature regulation for all-foam models.
- Couples – With superb motion isolation, this bed should help couples stay asleep throughout evening trips to the restroom and regular readjustments.
- Clean Freaks – Yogabed has a machine-washable and removable cover for easy maintenance and cleaning for those who like their sleep space to be extra tidy.
Possible Yogabed Complaints:
- People who Prefer Bounce – As an all-foam option, this bed minimizes bounce for good motion isolation, though those who prefer the extra bounce may be better suited by an inner-spring or hybrid option.
Construction: What’s inside Yogabed?
The breathable cover is a thin, stretchy fabric integrated with THERMOCOOL technology, which includes temperature-regulating fibers that transfer heat away from the body, helping to continually maintain a comfortable temperature.
The top of the Zip-N-Wash cover can be zipped off and is one of few in the industry that can be machine washed and dried. If needed, additional covers are available for sale through the company website. The internal construction includes 4 foam layers and stands 10 inches tall.
- Under the cover is 1 inch of the company’s proprietary Instant Response Foam™ that blends the best qualities of memory products with a springy feel similar to latex (yet contains no actual latex). This blend is hypoallergenic, ventilated for airflow, and infused with YogaGel™ to wick away heat. This layer conforms to your body’s curves for high-quality pressure relief that should not overheat.
- The second layer is 2 inches of YogaGel™ Memory Foam, which is ventilated and infused with gel to carry away heat. This layer provides both deep contouring and support while transitioning between the comfort layers and the base.
- The third layer is 5 inches of breathable base foam, which is Yogabed’s main source of support for the sleeper. This foundation also delivers stability and structure to the mattress.
- The bottom layer is another 2 inches of high-density polyfoam, which was added to give the mattress additional stability, shape, and continuity of feel.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The all-foam Yogabed is rolled up and compressed into a box at a manufacturing facility in Indiana and then delivered straight to your door. Most solid foundations, frames, or platforms will work with this mattress, as well as adjustable bases.
After unboxing, you’ll want to give the mattress a few hours to decompress before sleeping on the surface. Settling into the bed, you should feel the gentle contouring of the quick response foam and the memory foam layers beneath. Moving across the surface, you’ll notice the cover is tightly stretched across the bed, making repositioning simple.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
Side and back sleepers often need pressure relief the most to help keep their spine in alignment as they sleep and to minimize pain points that press against the mattress. Yogabed’s quick response layer should contour gently to your curves as the lower memory foam layers allow you to sink into a medium cradle.
Most people should not sink in so deep that they get stuck but deep enough to benefit from the pressure-relieving layers. The good news is that with a quick response layer on top, repositioning shouldn’t be any more difficult with the medium cradle.
When it comes to support, the dense foam deep in the bed should keep you from bottoming out on the mattress and support the pressure relief layers to keep your spine aligned.
Support tends to be the most important in the hip and back area, coming in handy for a variety of sleeping positions. Though this mattress excels at motion isolation, there is some noticeable bounce as you press deeper into the bed and activate the support layers.
Yogabed ships directly to your door rolled up and compressed into a box to save you the hassle of handling pickup or visiting a store locally.
With gel built into the quick-response layer and memory foam located below the surface, Yogabed should breathe well and conduct heat away from the body of those who sleep hot.
Great Motion Isolation
All-foam models tend to do better than others when it comes to motion isolation. Though there is some bounce in the quick-response layer and deeper in the support layers, most should be undisturbed by slight movements across the mattress.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The mattress was made to be compatible with a variety of adjustable bases for a customizable sleeping position.
Yogabed is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it has been evaluated by a third party and found to contain safe amounts of harmful substances within the foams. This bed shouldn’t lower the indoor air quality in your home, and with minimal to no off-gassing, these foams should be ready for sleep as soon as they’ve decompressed.
Yogabed offers a unique design with some advanced features such as quick-responding, pressure-relieving, and cooling memory foams. Made to be suitable for a variety of sleeping positions and body types, this bed offers plenty of features for a good value.
Side sleepers tend to need more customized pressure relief and support to keep the spine in alignment without causing a build-up of pressure. With memory foam at the forefront of the Yogabed design, most side sleepers should benefit from the medium cradle, allowing the bed to contour to pressure points while supporting the back and hips as you sink into the deeper layers.
At a medium firmness, this mattress should do a good job of providing lumbar and contoured support for most people. Because the layers become more firm as they progress downward, most back sleepers should be able to avoid bottoming out and stay supported in a medium cradle, receiving adequate pressure relief and support.
This bed is versatile enough to be comfortable for most stomach sleepers, though those who are significantly heavier may prefer a firmer bed to keep the hips from dipping into the bed and throwing the spine out of alignment. However, with graduated firmness and plenty of support, most people should be able to sleep comfortably on their stomachs.
This versatile product should suit most sleeping positions with the exception of significantly heavier folks who stomach sleep for the majority of the night. However, most combo sleepers should benefit from the quick-response foam that tops off this mattress to make repositioning simple, as well as its memory-like structure that creates advanced pressure relief.
Yogabed should suit most sleeping positions, meaning one half of the couple shouldn’t suffer because the other is a stomach sleeper. However, bed-in-a-box brands tend to struggle with edge support, meaning you may need to get a bigger sized mattress if you want some more wiggle room. Additionally, this bed features minimal bounce, so it might not be as good for sex as a spring bed could be.
Learn more: Highest-Rated Couple's Beds For 2021
At a medium firmness level, most sleepers should be able to rest comfortably and benefit from the pressure-relieving layers. However, those who are significantly heavier may bottom out in the mattress and feel it is too hard as they sink to the lower layers of the bed.
This mattress features two pressure-relieving layers at the top that even lightweight sleepers should benefit from. Though the bed is a 6.5 on the firmness scale, most light-weight sleepers shouldn’t feel that the bed is too firm, and stomach sleepers shouldn’t feel that it is too soft.
The Yogabed mattress combines a variety of cooling, pressure-relieving, and supportive measures for a versatile and convenient design. At a reasonable price, this mattress provides a good value that should last.