Do you want the best of both worlds when it comes to mattresses? Have you wondered how to find the support of innersprings and pressure relief of specialty foams?
Unlike most bed-in-a-box models, Voila’s hybrid design incorporates coils, memory foam, and Talalay latex at an amazing value in the online retail space.
The company focuses on modern performance technology and offering consumers high-end comfort and convenience.
This in-depth review of Voila is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as quality, value, and comfort.
The brand offers three distinct firmness levels, including Plush, Medium, and Firm. We are reviewing the Medium option in this post, as it caters to the widest variety of individuals.
Continue reading the full review or skip to the summary here.
Want to see all the best mattresses available? Read our comprehensive guide for 2018.
You will love Voila if you:
- Want the best of both worlds – Its hybrid construction supplies both support and pressure relief. Whether you spend the night in multiple positions or beside a partner with a different sleep style, this mattress caters to a variety of individual preferences. In addition, the coils work for a wide range of weights.
- Value edge support – While buying from an online retailer is convenient, few brands that are compressed and delivered to your door have solid edges. This brand is an exception.
- Sleep hot – From performance materials to temperature-friendly coils, individuals who sleep hot will enjoy the cooling benefits of this brand.
You might not like Voila if you:
- Want an all-foam bed – Voila incorporates pocketed coils into its design. Unlike all-foam brands, it has increased edge support, bounce, and airflow.
- Are highly sensitive to off-gassing – Although this is limited to one or two days after unboxing, there is a short off-gassing period while the product airs out. However, it is minimal and over quickly.
Do you feel like seeing more options? Click here to view our full list of mattress reviews.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Voila is a hybrid mattress that is compressed, rolled into a box, and delivered to your door. It works well with a variety of foundations.
The two-toned cover is bold, functional, and zips off for easy cleaning. Its white top is made of polyester and the grey sides have mesh. The top combined with the porous quality of the mesh help with airflow and cooling.
The brand’s three different firmness models each have different heights. While the Medium model is 11 inches tall, the Plush is 12 inches and the Firm is 10 inches. The mattress is much heavier than others we have reviewed, in part because of the brand’s use of premium materials and their belief that more layers provide enhanced comfort.
In fact, there are 12 layers consisting of the following materials.
- Gel-infused memory foam on the top layer adds cooling, comfort, and pressure relief.
- Talalay latex and foam layers add additional comfort underneath the memory foam.
- Pocketed coils are in a five-zone layout to give sleepers a gradient of support where they need it most. There are 768 coils in each mattress. By wrapping each coil individually (as opposed to a connected coil structure), there is enhanced motion isolation and greater contouring.
- Edge support is provided by three layers of foam, which maximizes the mattress’ usable surface area.
Note: The brand does not publish full specifications online.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The brand’s Medium option caters to the widest range of people due to its medium-level firmness. It ranks as a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. The Plush and Firm models are 3.5 and 8.5, respectively.
The cover is soft to the touch and we instantly noticed the top memory layer. Pushing deeper into the bed reveals the additional Talalay latex, foam, and coil layers.
The top layer responds slowly, but the levels underneath layers are quick. The coils and latex give the mattress a good amount of bounce. This design helps with ease of repositioning, which can be important when shifting during the night.
While lying down, there is a contouring effect over its solid base layers. One of the most interesting aspects of the bed’s firmness is its five zones of coils. The zones have been strategically placed and have different firmness levels.
Back sleepers will find support from the springs while also experiencing lumbar support from the foams.
Similarly, stomach sleepers are well-supported with enough pressure relief in their hips to achieve neutral alignment.
Side sleepers have enough comfort materials to protect their shoulders, hips, and knees from pressure.
Note that the Plush model may perform better for significantly heavier side sleepers who need additional pressure relief. It has a deeper contouring and more comfort materials.
Likewise, the Firm model may be best for significantly heavier stomach and back sleepers who need more support.
However, this brand’s individually wrapped coils and memory top work together to create low motion transfer.
While motion transfer is not crucial to every person, it is something to be aware of when buying. Light sleepers will often find this more important than those who typically sleep undisturbed.
Unlike many online brands that are compressed into boxes for delivery that are known for poor edges, Voila excels in this area. It has effective triple edge support made from layers of foam.
There is barely any compression while lying on the edge and only slight compression when sitting on the edge. Our testers felt great all night and never like they were going to roll out of the mattress.
Overall, we are impressed.
- Trial Period – 100-night trial. The purchase price will be refunded if the bed is not for you.
- Warranty – 10-year limited warranty.
- Shipping – The cost of shipping within the USA is included in the sales price. The bed can be shipped internationally after speaking with support and may require an additional fee.
- Multiple Firmness Options – Not only does the company offer Plush, Medium, and Firm options, but they will let you exchange the bed one time during the trial period so you can find your perfect fit. Just pay for freight and the difference in price between the two models.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38.5” x 74.5” x 11”||$699|
|Twin XL||38.5” X 79.5” X 11”||$799|
|Full||53.5” X 74.5” X 11”||$999|
|Queen||59.5” X 79.5” X 11”||$1,199|
|King||75.5” X 79.5” X 11”||$1,499|
|Cali King||71.5” X 83.5” X 11”||$1,499|
Voila’s hybrid design is a refreshing surprise in the bed-in-a-box industry!
Voila’s “best of both worlds” hybrid approach provides the bounce and support of coils with the pressure relief of memory materials and foam.
It is a uniquely engineered bed with excellent cooling, edges, and motion isolation.
While their Medium option works for most individuals, they have Plush and Firm options to cover every sleeper. During the 100-night trial, your bed may be exchanged for another model so you can find the perfect fit.
With its combination of high-end materials and innovative structure, we believe this bed to be a great value for the price.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I’ll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.