What if you could create your perfect mattress?
Brooklyn Bedding, an Arizona-based company that manufactures all of their mattresses at their own factory, designed Custom to fit their customer’s ever-changing needs. Shoppers can choose which cover and comfort system they want, including materials, firmness, and more.
Our in-depth review of the Custom bed will show you layer by layer of this personalized hybrid in its Medium configuration to see how it may be the ticket to the pressure-relieving and supportive sleep you’ve been looking for. We’ll also be discussing preference-based details like motion transfer, bounce, and edge support.
Continue on for our complete analysis, but if you prefer, you can hop down to the bottom and read our summary and score.
Excellent Matches For Custom
- Folks seeking a customized bed – The Custom bed allows you to choose which firmness, comfort materials, and cover fabric you want. This allows for ultimate personalization. Shoppers who purchase a King or Cali-King can choose to split the comfort level of their bed.
- Hybrid fans – A combination of foam and springs can provide the advantages of both materials, such as the comfort and body conformance of foam with the airflow and bounce of coils.
- Hot sleepers – The breathable cover choices and airflow through the individually pocketed springs in this mattress should help you keep the bed temperature neutral while you sleep and ensure you don’t wake up sweaty.
Possible Custom Considerations:
- Not available in smaller sizes – The Custom offers a lot of great options, but sizing is limited. The bed is only available in a Queen, King, or California King.
- It won’t have an all-foam feel – A hybrid mattress is a fusion of foam and coil systems. That being said, some shoppers prefer an all-foam bed and may need time to get used to the feel of coils. The good news is you have up to 120 nights under the trial period to decide whether this hybrid bed is for you.
Construction: What’s Inside the Custom?
The standard cover of the Custom is made with organic cotton. Cotton is an excellent material because it’s highly breathable. Furthermore, the cotton in this cover is sustainably sourced.
In total, the medium-firm Custom stands at 13 inches high.
- Below the cover are two 2-inch layers of comfort foam. Customers can choose among Titanflex, Luxe Memory Foam, or Latex for their comfort layer.
- The next layer is a 2-inch transitional foam that should help ease you into the coils further below.
- The innerspring unit is made up of 1,024 individually encased Ascension® coils and stands 8 inches thick. This layer serves as the primary support mechanism of the Custom and should help deliver motion isolation as well.
- The base of this mattress is a 1-inch high-density foam. This layer gives the bed durability and reinforces the Ascension® coils as they compress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Custom is compressed and shipped in a box to your home. The company recommends waiting 3-5 hours for the mattress to expand before lying on it.
When you lie down, you’ll feel the soft comfort of the cotton cover combined with your personalized comfort foam that holds your body in a gentle hug. The responsive foams should not cling to your shape or make you feel stuck, but since the bounce is deeper, rolling over might be an issue for those who struggle with mobility.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium)
As you lie down, your weight will begin to put pressure on some parts of the body. Unfortunately, these areas can become sensitive to pressure and may cause discomfort or pain. These pressure points, as they’re referred to, can help find relief through a well-made mattress that incorporates pressure relieving features.
The advantage of the Custom is that you can choose your desired comfort foam based on your pressure relief needs and preferences. For example, those who prefer some more responsiveness may choose the latex comfort layer, or folks who want even more pressure relief and motion isolation may opt for the Luxe memory foam.
A supportive mattress is also important because it helps keep your spine in proper alignment. When the spine becomes maligned, this can lead to problems with back or neck pain.
The Custom’s support system is comprised of an innerspring unit with 8-inch individually encased Ascension® coils. The advantage of pocketed coils is that they react independently, allowing them to contour to your body to provide the necessary support where you need it most.
In addition to these coils, the bottom of the Custom contains a 1-inch highly-dense foam base. This base aids in bed support by reinforcing the coils as they compress while providing a durable foundation.
This bed comes with three 2 inches of personalized comfort foam that includes Latex, Luxe Memory Foam, or Titanflex. Customers can choose between a soft, medium, and firm feel. Lastly, you can customize your cover by choosing the standard cotton or selecting the Luxury Cooling or Recovery fabrics for an additional 100 dollars.
This mattress features a zippered Eurotop cover that’s designed to foster airflow and keep the bed cool.
In addition to a breathable cotton over, this bed features coils further below, which should deliver even more airflow. For advanced cooling, you can pay 100 more for the Luxury Cooling or Recovery cover.
Exceptional Edge Support
Mattresses designed to compress into smaller boxes show some slight changes in support on the far edges, and this hybrid performs as we expect from this industry. You are free to lie down on the side of the bed as you normally would without feeling any significant change to the support system, but you might notice some compression when seated on the very edge with all of your weight concentrated on one spot.
The foams in this mattress, though responsive, do a great job of capturing vibration at its source and preventing most of it from moving across the bed and the pocketed coil unit also cuts down on motion transfer. You may feel a slight bit of disturbance when your partner gets in and out of bed, but this choice performs excellently for a hybrid and should not rattle you awake.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Custom is compatible with an adjustable base.
Handcrafted in the USA
The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® Certified, which indicates they do not contain dangerous levels of certain chemicals and heavy metals such as mercury and formaldehyde.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - This mattress ships for free within the continental United States. There’s an additional fee to ship to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada.
- Trial - Sleep in the mattress for up to 120 nights, and if it does not live up to your expectations, you can return it for a refund.
- Warranty - The product comes with a 10-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,749
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,199|
|Cali King||72” x 80” x 13”||$2,199
Brooklyn Bedding’s answer to the demand for personalization has yielded Custom, a versatile hybrid that you can adjust to fit your specific needs and preferences.
Most side sleepers should feel comfortable lying on their side, but they should be mindful of excess pressure that can build up under the hips and shoulders in this position. If you tend to feel extra pressure in this area, the softer configuration may suit your needs better.
Most back sleepers should like how the comfort foam conforms to their shape and create a well-supported and low-pressure sleeping environment. Tastes in this category do tend to vary, and some exclusive back sleepers may prefer the firmer setting.
Stomach sleepers often are best suited by firmer mattresses so that their heavier midsections do not sink too low and affect good spine alignment. Occasional tummy sleepers or those who are lighter than average might prefer the Medium, but many may gravitate towards the Firm.
A medium-firm setting adapts well to different positions, which is a particular advantage to combination sleepers who do not commit to one sleep style. The personalization of the Custom is a strong advantage for combination sleepers, making this an excellent choice for these consumers.
The bed’s multiple firmness options and comfort choices allow you and your partner to create a bed that caters to both of you. Another benefit of the Custom is that you can choose to split the comfort if you order a King or Cali-King size.
Individuals who weigh substantially more typically prefer a firmer bed to support them well. Some heavier folks may enjoy the Firm setting on the Custom. However, those who weigh over 300 pounds should consider the company’s Titan mattress, which is specially designed for larger frames.
Lightweight sleepers, who usually go for plush beds, will appreciate the Eurotop and likely gravitate towards the softer setting, especially if they weigh under 120 pounds. However, lightweight stomach or back sleepers may decide to incorporate the medium foam for something a bit more supportive.
Rather than deciding between different models, the Custom offers multiple ways to personalize your mattress by being a part of the building process when you make your order.
You get to decide how your mattress feels in at least four ways, ensuring that you’re getting a bedding product that’s more tailored to you than ever before.