Life moves pretty fast, and as we grow and change, our sleeping needs and preferences may change as well. What if your mattress could adjust with you?
Brooklyn Bedding, an Arizona-based company that manufactures all of their mattresses at their own factory, designed Rubix to fit their customer’s ever-changing needs. The comfort system can flip between Soft, Medium, and Firm, depending on your preference, which adds versatility and adaptability to your mattress investment.
Our in-depth review of Rubix bed will show you layer by layer of this customizable hybrid in its Medium configuration to see how it may be the ticket to the pressure-relieving and supportive sleep you’ve been looking for. We’ll also be discussing preference-based details like motion transfer, bounce, and edge support.
Continue on for our complete analysis, but if you prefer you can hop down to the bottom and read our summary and score.
You will love Rubix if you:
- Want to customize your sleep – Rubix bed saves you the concern of selecting a firmness when you purchase because the comfort foams can be adjusted at home to suit your changing needs. Soft one day but firm the next; it’s all up to you.
- Are shopping for a hybrid – A combination of foam and springs can provide the advantages of both materials, such as the comfort and body conformance of foam with the airflow and bounce of coils (How? You can see our main guide to find out how this material combo works).
- Sleep hot – The breathable cover and airflow through the individually pocketed springs in this mattress should help you keep the bed temperature neutral while you sleep and help ensure you don’t wake up sweaty (you can find out more in our main guide).
You might not like Rubix if you:
- Want to sink slowly into your mattress – The comfort system of this hybrid is made from three layers of Energex foam that is more responsive than traditional memory foam. One advantage of this is that the foams retain less heat and should make repositioning much simpler.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The company compresses and roll packs Rubix into a box before delivering it to your house where you can carry it to your room and install it by unwrapping the plastic and allowing the foams time to expand. Most frames work well with this choice, and the bed is compatible with adjustable bases.
The cover, made from soft cotton quilted to poly-foam, forms a Euro top along with two layers of foam that you select when you install the bed. To create the feel, you unzip the top and choose two different foams from three provided to deliver your preferred feel based on instructions contained in the box. Altogether, the bed stands 12.5 inches high and contains 5 layers.
- The first layer is a layer of open-celled 2-inch Energex™ foam that is highly breathable so it remains cool while conforming to your shape. It is also responsive like latex for easy repositioning. Its firmness will depend
- The second layer is another 2-inch layer of Energex™ that will complete the feel combination that you find most comfortable. It is very similar to the first layer, but it differs in firmness slightly.
- The third layer is 1-inch high and transitions to the support system using an intermediate layer of foam.
- The fourth layer contains 6-inch Ascension™ coils that are individually wrapped so that they compress individually and reduce motion transfer while supporting your spine.
- The final layer is 1-inch high-density base foam that forms a stable base and supportive cushion for the coils.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The following is our assessment of the bed in its Medium setting, but know there are two other settings also available that will alter your experience of the feel. The Medium scored at a Medium Firm, or 6 on a scale to 10, where 10 is as hard as the floor. This versatile setting will most likely suit most sleepers as it contains enough support for most body types while providing a good amount of pressure relief (learn more about firmness levels of any bed here).
When you lie down on the Rubix bed, you’ll feel the soft comfort of the Euro top’s quilted cover combined with Energex™ foam that holds your body in a gentle hug. The responsive foams should not cling to your shape or make you feel stuck, but since you are resting deeper and the bounce is deeper inside the bed, rolling over might be an issue for those who struggle with mobility.
This Medium setting adapts well to different positions, which is a particular advantage to combination sleepers who do not commit to one sleep style (Are you one of them? Learn more in our main guide here).
Most back sleepers should like how the layers of foam conform to their shape and create a well-supported and low-pressure sleeping environment (Learn more about this position in our complete guide). Tastes in this category do tend to vary, and some exclusive back sleepers may prefer the firmer setting.
Most side sleepers should feel comfortable when lying on their side, but they should be mindful of excess pressure that can build up under the hips and shoulders in this position. If you tend to feel extra pressure in this area, the softer configuration may suit your needs better (Learn more about the needs of a side sleeper in our full guide here).
Stomach sleepers often are best suited by firmer mattresses so that their heavier midsections do not sink too low and affect good spine alignment (You can learn more about this position here). Occasional tummy sleepers or those who are lighter than average might prefer the Medium, but many may gravitate towards the Firm.
The manufacturer’s recommended weight limit for the entire bed is 900 pounds, which should accommodate most sleepers, though the company does encourage sleepers with higher weight considerations to stick with the Medium or Firm setting.
The foams in this mattress, though responsive, do a great job of capturing vibration at its source and preventing most of it from moving across the bed and the pocketed coil unit also cuts down on motion transfer. You may feel a slight bit of disturbance when your partner gets in and out of bed, but this choice performs excellently for a hybrid and should not rattle you awake.
Mattresses designed to compress into smaller boxes show some slight changes in support on the far edges, and this hybrid performs as we expect from this industry. You are free to lie down on the side of the bed as you normally would without feeling any significant change to the support system, but you might notice some compression when seated on the very edge with all of your weight concentrated on one spot.
- Customizable Feel – Depending on which way you orient the foam layers within the comfort system of this mattress, you can achieve different feels and accommodate different sleep needs.
- Trial Period – Sleep in the mattress for up to 120 nights, and if it does not live up to your expectations, you can return it for a refund.
- Warranty – The product comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This mattress ships to the continental US for free, but it is also available for Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada for an additional fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This company has obtained certification for this mattress that indicates that its foams do not contain dangerous levels of certain chemicals and heavy metals such as mercury and formaldehyde.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12.5”||$899|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12.5”||$949|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12.5”||$1,099|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,249
|King||76” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,499|
|Cali King||72” x 80” x 12.5”||$1,499
Brooklyn Bedding’s answer to the demand for customization has yielded Rubix, a versatile hybrid that you can adjust at home to create the comfortable feel you dream of paired with the firm support of coils.
Rubix is a bed made to adapt to your individual needs and preferences. The company includes three layers of Energex foam, and once you decide on your preferred feel, you can select two layers to place within the Euro top and above the 6-inch layer of pocketed coils that form the support system.
Should your comfort needs change, you can change the feel of your bed by swapping out layers or changing their arrangements. All of this is accomplished within the comfort of your home, so you can experience the joy of a brand new bed without making another purchase. Life can change unexpectedly, and with Rubix, your bed can change with it in a snap.