Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you looking for an eco-friendly bed that is both luxurious and affordable? If you’re looking for comfort, but want to avoid the sinking sensation of memory foam, you may want to consider all-natural latex. Unlike memory foam, this material moves with your body, evenly distributing weight and gently cradling the shoulders and hips.
Luma Sleep was founded in 2015 and is known for using latex as the primary comfort layer in their mattresses. Their signature product is the Luma Mattress, a three-layer hybrid system with natural latex and pocket coils. They also have three additional options that feature pillow tops, as well as several frames and pillow toppers.
This company states that over 90% of the materials used in their beds instantly adapt to your unique shape and sleeping positions, “so you can enjoy deeper, more restorative sleep”. Our in-depth Luma mattress review will dive deeper into this hybrid model, scoring this bed using our system that looks at features like firmness, versatility, and value.
Keep reading to learn more about this eco-friendly, luxurious model, or skip ahead to the end for our conclusion and scores.
You will love the Luma Mattress if you:
- Need balanced pressure relief and support – Latex moves with your body, designed to provide dynamic pressure relief for side and multi-position sleepers. The pocketed coil system provides gentle support that should relax your muscles and promote spinal alignment.
- Want to reduce your carbon footprint – This product is made from all-natural latex, wrapped in an environmentally friendly Tencel material. This sustainable fabric is made with wood cellulose from eucalyptus trees that are grown in farms to protect rainforests.
- Want conformity without sinkage – Individually wrapped coils can adapt to your shape and movements. The responsive latex foam has a naturally buoyant cell structure that is designed to conform to your body while still providing the support you need.
You might not like the Luma Mattress if you:
- Have heavier weight considerations – This company recommends heavier sleepers consider either the Hybrid Slumber System or Latex Slumber System. These mattresses offer structures that are better suited for the deep support needed.
- Prefer the slow response of memory foam – Latex responds quickly, which is a great advantage for sleepers who like to change positions at night. It also tends to be more temperature neutral than traditional memory foam.
Or you can see our top list of beds here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This mattress arrives at your door in a box, and white glove delivery is available for only $99 if you would prefer to have your bed completely set-up for you. The company recommends a firm, flat, and steady surface as a base to provide their signature feel. Luma also offers a slatted wood foundation, a free-standing wood foundation, and several adjustable base foundations.
A plush Tencel fabric cover envelops this mattress with a material that is breathable like cotton but has a silky-soft feel. The sustainable Tencel may offer luxury in an environmentally-friendly fabric that can be removed for spot cleaning if necessary.
Overall, there are three layers that stand 11 inches high.
- The first layer features 2 inches of exclusively natural latex foam purposed for comfort and uplifting support. This molded latex should provide instant conformance with buoyancy so you can easily move around. Unlike sinking into memory foam, this type of foam is designed to gently cradle your body on top of the mattress so you never feel stuck.
- The second layer offers 8 inches of over 1,000 individually pocketed QE Bolsa Coils which should offer support and minimizing motion transfer. This progressively supportive base was designed to actively respond to your body’s weight and sleeping position, relaxing muscles and providing proper spinal alignment.
- The third layer is one inch of high-density poly-foam for a durable and supportive foundation.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The Luma bed is available in three levels of firmness: plush, medium and firm. We scored each of these levels on our firmness scale out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. This company also offers a free “Comfort Guide” quiz to help you choose the right feel for you.
We rated the plush at 3.5/10 (soft), the medium at 6/10 (medium-firm), and the firm at 7.5/10 (firm) on our scale. Being able to choose your comfort level is a great feature this company offers so you can achieve your desired degree of firmness based on your individual sleep needs.
The luxury Tencel lyocell cover is soft and breathable, wicking away moisture and offering a naturally hypoallergenic option for those with sensitive skin. The open-cell structure of latex allows for better air-flow and may help to regulate temperature by removing excess heat and moisture.
Latex tends to offer better bounce and conformance without the sinkage that is often found in memory foam. The responsive surface of this model should make it easier for sleepers to reposition or move in/out of bed.
Side sleepers usually prefer a softer sleep surface so the plush model could be a good choice as the pocketed coils may help to relieve pressure on the hips and shoulders. This product is marketed as being ideal for side and multi-position sleepers because of the adaptive support this mattress offers.
Stomach sleepers often benefit from a more moderate degree of firmness to prevent arching of the spine during sleep. This mattress should work well for stomach sleepers because of the targeted latex that helps to elevate the hips and the zoned coil for better lumbar support.
For back sleepers, a firm surface may help to keep the hips and shoulders even for good spinal alignment while the supportive latex is designed to conform to the natural curve of the spine. This should also help with stabilization and even distribution of weight for overall comfort and support.
While the Luma offers three levels of firmness that should provide options for most body types, this company does not list a maximum weight for their beds. Those with heavier weight considerations may want to consider either the Hybrid or Latex Slumber System as these mattresses were designed to provide the extra support needed.
If you share a bed with a partner who likes to practice karate moves in their sleep, motion isolation will likely be an important factor for you to consider. Being woken by your sleeping partner’s every move can leave you feeling tired and run down the next day. For this reason, many mattress companies work hard to design beds that will reduce motion transfer.
While latex doesn’t offer as much motion reduction as memory foam, the individually wrapped pocketed coils do help to minimize motion transfer in the Luma mattress. If you are particularly concerned about motion isolation, you may want to consider the All Latex Slumber System which features movement dampening Dunlop Latex.
Many bed-in-a-box mattresses tend to sink when you sleep closer to the edge or use this space for sitting on. Foam and latex do not tend to offer the best edge support, but this model features pocketed coils in the support layer. This should help to maximize sleeping space and provide a firm enough surface to sit on as well.
- Multiple Firmness Options
- Trial Period – Luma offers a 100 night in-home trial period so you can try out this product and receive a full refund if you are not completely satisfied.
- Comfort Exchange – If you decide to purchase one of the two-piece slumber systems, Luma offers a one-year exchange program that allows you to swap the top comfort layer for a different level of firmness.
- Warranty – This company offers a 15-year warranty on all slumber systems and a 10-year warranty on Luma mattress.
- Shipping – Luma ships to all of the 48 contiguous United States as well as to Canada (at an added cost).
- Optional White Glove Delivery
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The polyurethane foams used in the mattress have been certified to meet or exceed environmental standards for chemicals and emissions.
- OEKO-TEX® Certified – The HD fabric cover and Talalay latex used in the comfort layer were tested for harmful chemicals and deemed safe for human use.
- eco-INSTITUT® Certified – The latex foam used in this product that received this third-party certification that includes rigorous emission and safety testing.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39" x 75" x 11.5"||$903|
|Twin XL||39" x 80" x 11.5"||$970|
|Full||54" x 75" x 11.5"||$1,237|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 11.5"||$1,371|
|King||76" x 80" x 11.5"||$1,638|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 11.5"||$1,772|
Overall, the Luma Mattress offers exceptional value at an affordable price to sleepers who want an eco-friendly option. The durability and supportive comfort of this model could make this an ideal choice for a variety of sleepers.
The Luma mattress offers an environmentally-conscious option that was designed to actively respond to your unique needs, helping you to stay cool, comfortable, and be well supported while you sleep.
As a company, Luma is committed to using products that are healthy and sustainable, being internationally recognized for their high-quality standards. For an option that combines luxury with comfort, the Luma may make a good option for an eco-friendly bed.