Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you dreaming of a mattress with memory foam but don’t believe you have the funds to make the purchase? LexMod, which is a company specializing in modern interpretations of mid-century furniture, is offering a line of beds-in-a-box that were designed to improve your sleep without overextending your budget.
Our in-depth review of the LexMod Sabrina will take you through all the modernizations to the company’s memory foam choice from the temperature control features to the softer latex surface that keeps it easy to reposition on. We’ll also look at key features like pressure relief and support that every mattress shopper should consider.
For more specific details, keep reading for our analysis, but if you’d rather skip ahead to the conclusion you may do so here.
You will love Sabrina if you:
- Are looking for memory foam without a lot of sinkage – More traditional memory beds can suck you in and leave you feeling trapped in the bed, but this mattress should keep you comfortably nestled nearer the surface of the bed, which can make it easier to roll around.
- Need a budget-friendly choice – Memory foam beds, especially modernized ones, can cost thousands in stores, but this online brand keeps things affordable, in part, by selling online and reducing overhead.
- Want motion isolation – Memory foam is a top-notch way to keep motion from traveling from one end to the other and waking up your partner every time you get up in the night. This mattress should keep you securely cradled, regardless of movements on the other side.
You might not like Sabrina if you:
- Prefer a traditional innerspring feel – This brand will feel very different from the bouncier old-fashioned innerspring mattresses, but once you get used to it, you should really enjoy the exceptional motion isolation and soothing pressure relief.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
LexMod’s all-foam Sabrina is delivered to your house after being compressed and rolled into a box, and after you remove the plastic, the mattress will slowly regain its full size. The brand is compatible with standard foundations and frames, including adjustable frames, but wooden slats should be less than 3 inches apart for optimum support.
The cover’s top is made out of polyester stretch knit that is fully removable as well as machine washable. The cover’s base is made from a polyester cotton blend that features a non-slip bottom, which is convenient for use with adjustable bases.
This product is built with four layers of foam, and the entire mattress stands 12 inches tall.
- The first layer is made from 2 inches of ventilated latex that was poured using the Dunlop process, which tends to be more energy efficient and simple than other latex processing methods. This quick-responding layer provides surface bounce and body conformance that helps to relieve pressure while allowing enough airflow to keep the surface cool.
- The second layer is a 1-inch Open Cell Air Memory Foam, designed to be slightly more breathable than traditional memory materials, and air flow should reduce its tendency to retain heat. This layer offers deeper level contouring to your curves for additional pressure relief and is slower-responding.
- The third layer includes 1-inch of gel infused memory foam that forms the transition between the comfort layers and the base layer below, that should provide some support and pressure relief.
- The fourth layer is the 8-inch layer of responsive base foam that provides structural foundation while working to support the sleeper’s spine in a neutral position. This layer provides a bit of push-back and bounce that can help with repositioning.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Looking at firmness, we score mattresses on a 1 to 10 scale where a score of 10 equals the hardest bed and a 1 is the softest. This brand comes in between a 6.5 and 7, which is slightly firmer than Medium. Mattresses that fall in this range typically satisfy a wide majority of sleepers with their ability to suit multiple sleep positions and different body shapes.
Lying down, you should notice how responsive the top latex layer is and how it quickly conforms to your bodies’ shape to wipe away the pressure that can build up on a resting body. The layers beneath the surface will be a bit slower to respond and may feel firm at first as they activate and envelop you in a gentle cradle.
The bounce in this mattress is likely to be heavily counteracted by the surface layers of memory foam, but the responsiveness in the top layer and the base’s firm support should make navigating much easier than what you may have experienced in traditional memory materials. Combination sleepers who switch between lying on their side, back, and stomach should appreciate this ease of repositioning.
Most back sleepers should enjoy the contour of foam in their lumbar curvature and the feel of the foams supporting their spine in a neutral position.
Most side sleepers should feel the curves of their hips and shoulders sink into the foam while the base works to keep their spine in a straight position. Because the majority of the body’s weight is resting on a smaller surface area, sleepers in this position should be mindful of pressure points. Those who need extra pressure relief or those who are significantly lighter than average may prefer a bed that is a touch softer.
Most stomach sleepers should be particularly well served by the firmness of this mattress that should keep their hips resting level with the rest of their body and preventing any uncomfortable overarching of the spine.
A majority of sleepers will be pleased with the brand’s versatility and should feel great in this bed. The manufacturer recommends a weight limit of 800 pounds for this product or 400 pounds for each side, a consideration for folks who are significantly heavier than average.
Memory foams are rarely outdone in this category due to their ability to isolate vibrations and prevent them from racing across the mattress to disturb a sleeping partner. This bed’s bounce is minimal, and even light sleepers should enjoy a peaceful and restful sleep regardless of a potentially more restless partner.
Brands that arrive compressed in a box typically use materials that are more easily roll-packed and, as such, don’t perform exceptionally in this category. This brand’s performance was overall average for the industry for online bed-in-a-box brands. There’s some compression when sitting on the side, but sleeping on the edge, your body should rest securely.
You may have never considered your mattress’ edges before, but it’s something to think over if you or your partner like to spread out on your mattress’ surface.
- Trial Period – LexMod allows you to try the mattress for 30 days to make sure that it’s the right fit for you or you may return it for a full refund.
- Warranty – This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Every item from LexMod ships for free within the United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams used to build this mattress have all been tested to meet third-party safety standards that guarantee that levels of chemicals like formaldehyde and mercury are within acceptable limits.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$307|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$446.75|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$520|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$647|
With the Sabrina, LexMod offers customers a modernized memory foam experience that was designed to keep you cool, well-supported, and never stuck!
LexMod’s commitment to modernization has been brought to the memory bed with this interpretation of a classic experience. You should never dip too deep or wake up in a pool of sweat, two common complaints with more traditional materials.
Layers of memory, latex, and poly foam are strategically laid out to keep you gently cradled near the mattress’ surface while pressure dissolves away from your tired joints. The bed’s impressive 8-inch base provides plenty of support to keep most spines comfortably aligned.
The best news is that all of these features don’t come with a price tag that will be prohibitive for those with tight budgets. LexMod’s commitment to value has extended to their line of bed-in-a-box products, offering a unique feel for different individuals and their budgets.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.