Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Do you dream of a hybrid’s balanced mix of coils and foam but think it’s out of your price range? LexMod, a wholesaler of modernized mid-century furniture, has recently branched into bed-in-a-box mattresses that are available at competitive price points compared to in-store brands.
Our in-depth look at the LexMod Elysse will be reviewing the company’s hybrid choice that mixes a memory foam feel with a coil unit for a unique blend of classic feels. We will go through all the highlights from support to pressure relief and cooling to see if this might be the bed you’ve been looking for.
Jump ahead here if you want to get right to our assessment or read on for more specific details to help you with your decision.
You will love Elysse if you:
- Need a budget-friendly choice – LexMod reduces overhead costs by selling online and can pass on significant savings to their customers, and the Elysse is available for significantly less than similar retail store brands.
- Shopping for a hybrid – A hybrid offers a unique blend of the advantages of foam and innerspring mattresses, helping you to achieve the pressure relief you want while receiving the unique feel and support of innersprings that let air flow through the mattress, which should keep it cool.
- Are a combination sleeper – The balance of support and comfort in this bed should work great for multiple sleep positions and be easy to reposition on, which is the ideal combination for those who like to change up their position throughout the night.
You might not like Elysse if you:
- Have higher weight considerations – This mattress was built to support up to 600 pounds total, so individuals or couples with higher weight considerations may want to look for a bed with some additional support. In that case you can see our top picks for heavier people.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The LexMod Elysse is a 12-inch hybrid mattress built with a mix of coils and foam. It arrives at your door vacuum-packed into a box that can be carried to your room for easy installation. The mattress is suitable for use with standard frames and foundations, including platforms, wood slats less than 3 inches apart, and adjustable bases.
The fully-removable diamond-quilted cover is made from a polyester blend that is machine washable. The fabric is stretched tightly around four layers that stand 12 inches tall.
- The first layer is made from 0.75-inch slower responding gel memory foam that provides pressure relief while helping to reduce heat retention at the surface of the bed.
- The second layer provides a 2-inch layer of memory foam for added pressure relief and deeper level contouring.
- The third layer is made from a more responsive support foam that measures 1 inch and helps to align to spine and provide a transition between the softer comfort foams and the base level coil unit.
- The fourth layer is built with 6.25-inch coils that are pocketed to help reduce motion transfer while forming the base of the bed’s structure that helps keep the sleepers’ spine in a neutral position.
- The fifth layer is a 1-inch layer of base foam that creates a foundation for the coils.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our firmness scale evaluates mattresses out of 10 where 10 is the firmest possible. This bed is a 6.5, which is in the Medium-Firm range that tends to be popular because of its versatility among body types and sleep position preferences.
Lying down on this mattress, you should experience a slow sink into the first three inches of memory foam that should gently cradle your shape while supporting it with the more responsive foam and coils. There may be some deep level bounce from the support system but this is neutralized by the memory materials on the surface.
Because you sleep closer to the surface of the bed, repositioning should not be difficult and the Medium-Firm feel should feel great in multiple positions, meaning that combination sleepers should be able to take full advantage of this bed’s experience.
Most back sleepers should notice the feel of the memory foams contouring to their lumbar while their back is held in a neutral position and weight is evenly distributed.
Most side sleepers should enjoy the pressure relief available in the comfort foams of this mattress while the coils hold their spine in alignment. Side sleepers especially need pressure relief because their weight is concentrated on a smaller area.
Stomach sleepers should feel secure and straight on this mattress as well and the firmness of the support system should hold their hips level with the rest of their body while the rest of their shape is gently cradled.
A majority of body types and shapes can enjoy this mattress, but remember that firmness is subjective and those lighter than average tend to experience beds as firmer than what we have described. Likewise, if you are someone who has significant weight considerations, note that the manufacturer has established a 600-pound weight limit for the entire mattress.
Memory beds typically excel in this category and this mattress is no exception to that rule despite the bounce in the coil unit. The individually wrapped coils assist the memory materials in isolating motion at its source before it can disturb a light sleeping partner.
Bed-in-a-box brands do not always perform exceptionally in this category because the materials they use must be compressed into a smaller shipping container. This bed defied expectations for hybrids in this space, and you should feel secure sleeping on the side of this bed or when sitting close to the edge.
You may have never considered edge support before, but firm edges can increase the amount of space you have to share with a partner.
- Trial Period – You can try the furnishings from this company for 100 days and return it if you are not satisfied.
- Warranty – This product is covered by a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – The mattress ships for free within the U.S.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams in this mattress have been thoroughly tested for potentially harmful chemicals and meet consumer standards set by a third-party laboratory.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$254.50|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$366.75|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$411.00|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$500.75|
The budget-friendly LexMod Elysse Hybrid offers a versatile blend of comfort and support that blends a classic memory bed experience with pocketed innersprings that isolate motion and provide good edge support.
If you have been looking to blend the classic features of memory materials with a modernized innerspring unit, you may have run up against some pretty high prices in stores you’ve visited. By going with an online brand like LexMod Elysse, you may be able to save a lot of money while still getting the sleep you’ve dreamed about.
The first layer of memory foam is infused with gel to keep the surface from overheating, while the second layer’s memory foam contours to your shape for great pressure relief in a variety of positions. The individually wrapped coils reduce motion transfer while supporting your spine in a straight and neutral position.
A great night’s sleep on a brand new hybrid doesn’t need to break the bank, and this mattress might make a great addition to your bedroom without putting unnecessary stress on your finances.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.