Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Can a “smart bed” really help me sleep better?
Eight Sleep believes the best way to optimize comfort is with technology. The company's Sleep Cover allows customers to connect their bed straight into their home and into their phone, as it is compatible with today’s most popular home automation systems and smart devices.
The brand’s Jupiter Mattress is a memory bed that combines traditional comfort with modern smart technology. The Sleep Tracker records their sleep habits and health, and a matrix of hidden sensors can even keep you warm.
Our in-depth overview of the Jupiter mattress is based on our scoring system that looks at features such as comfort and support, and in the case of Jupiter Mattress, smart bed technology.
Read our analysis to know more, or if you are in a rush just peruse our scoring and summary of this product.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Want smart technology – Eight’s Sleep Tracker embeds this product with an array of features that should keep any tech guru or individuals into home automation ecstatic for years to come. It not only monitors you while you rest, but you can set it to communicate with your coffee machine so your cup of Joe is already brewing before you can make the bed. Its capabilities will only expand as home automation continues to grow.
- Need temperature regulation – The smart tech in this mattress has the ability to help you control the temperature of not only the Jupiter’s surface but of the entire room.
- Want a memory foam feel – The Jupiter hugs like foam, slowly contouring to your curves and keeping you well supported throughout the night.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Are not tech savvy – Technology constantly changes and it can be hard to keep up with the latest trends and gear. Additional products like the Amazon echo and Google Nest are required to get full use of this product’s features, but it is fully functional without any of the tech features. This is still an affordable and comfortable option without ever plugging in the smart cover, but it is there if you feel ready to take sleep to the next level.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Knock, knock, knock – Your brand new mattress has arrived at your door compressed in a box. Setup is relatively simple, but it is recommended that you have two people present to install the mattress onto its foundation.
Eight discourages placing your mattress directly on the floor or using solid wood foundation. They do recommend that the Jupiter be placed on a breathable box spring, breathable base, or an adjustable base. If using a slatted foundation, the slats should not be more than 3 inches apart.
The smart capabilities in this bed come from the Eight Sleep Tracker, a polyester knit cover with embedded tracking technology that is made from plastic and copper wiring. This material is soft and breathable, some exceptionally sensitive sleepers may feel the wiring through the cover as they lay on it, but the majority of sleepers should sleep unaware. The tracker monitors a load of different sleep behaviors and connects directly into your smart home.
Sanding at 10 inches tall this product contains four different layers that aim to help you rest both comfortable and supported.
- The first layer is 2 inches of Reactive Memory Foam. This responsive foam has been designed to contour to the body’s curves like memory foam and react to pressure in the same way latex would. This should leave you resting in a gentle cradle that provides easing comfort to all your nagging pressure points.
- The second layer is 2 inches of Contouring Memory Foam. This layer should foster mid-surface level support for the shoulders and hips. Most people should experience a sensation of it hugging the body and adapting to its anatomy to provide optimal comfort for those more curvy areas.
- The third layer is 2 inches of Supportive Transition Foam. This layer was designed to minimize movements across the surface of the bed. This firmer layer can help bridge the gap between the top two comfort layers and the thicker and firmer base by easing the heaviest parts of your body into the bottom layer of the mattress.
- The bottom layer is 4 inches of High-Density Support Foam. This foundation influences good body support and overall stability.
Smart Technology (Features & Connected Apps)
The Eight Sleep Tracker is an automated cover that connects directly into your smart home or phone. This piece of tech tracks over fifteen factors about sleep health including, heart rate, respiratory rate, REM sleep, and deep sleep.
The cover offers some tech that benefits both hot and cold sleepers. For those that rest cold, the cover includes tech that warms up the sheet. For you hot folks, Google Nest, when purchased and installed separately, can connect with the bed and blast AC when the cover senses that you are heating up.
The cover senses when you are in light sleep in the morning, triggering your alarm during this phase so it is easier for your body to wake up.
The tracker also connects to Amazon echo and Hue lighting automation, allowing this bed to perform a handful of additional features. We recommend contacting the manufacturer for a complete list of what systems this bed can connect with.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest, we scored the Jupiter at a 6. This puts this mattress in the medium range. Firmness is subjective and can be felt differently depending on your bodies shape, size, and just based on your personal preferences (you can learn more about our firmness rating and our scale here).
When first hopping into this bed you will likely notice that you sink down into the comfort layers. The Jupiter conforms to your body and you should be able to feel support coming from those deeper layers. Because of the unique latex-like memory foam in this mattresses’ top layer and the firmer deep foams, this bed has a moderate bounce, above average for this type of bed.
The responsiveness of the foams makes it fairly easy to move around without getting that stuck in the mud feeling that some memory foam beds deliver. This is great for people who like to rest in multiple positions.
Back sleepers should feel the comfort layers conforming to the areas between their hips and shoulders. This design designed provides comfort while the deeper layers support the lumbar region and render correct spinal alignment.
Side sleepers often love a softer bed because it takes the strain off areas that experience higher resistance during the night due to the increase in pressure over a smaller surface area. The top foams are designed to provide surface-level comfort while the deeper layers help cushion the increased pressure that can develop in areas like the hips and shoulders.
Stomach Sleepers, this mattress is just firm enough that you should find yourself well supported and comfortable. The hips feel well supported and aligned with the shoulders when lying face down. Some folks may find that they prefer a firmer option as they might find this mattress softer than other individuals, especially if they are heavier than average.
This bed supports a large range of preferences and anatomies. This product supports up to 500 pounds or 250 per side, so the majority of individuals should find a comfortable nights rest on this product.
A mattress with good motion isolation can keep you from waking up when your partner gets in or out of bed. Memory foam beds typically do very well in this category and the Jupiter does not disappoint. The foams in this mattress anchor motion at its source, so little to no movements should be waking you from your deep slumber.
Foam beds that are compressed into boxes do not typically score as well in this category. This is not important for everyone, but might be if you share a bed or are a wider individual who needs to maximize the surface area on your mattress.
There is some compression when sitting on the edge, but when dispersing your weight over the edge as you lay down the sides should remain supportive. This bed performs comparably to the industry standard, so you should never feel like you are going to tumble off the edge.
- Trial Period – The brand’s 100-night trial permits customers to try out this bed for the allotted time and if they are not happy with their experience they can request a full refund.
- Warranty – A 10 Year Warranty comes with every purchase of this product.
- Shipping – This product ships to the mainland 48 United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This third-party organization determined that the foams used in this product were free of ozone depleters, heavy metals, and other harmful or potentially dangerous chemicals.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$999|
|Queen||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,099
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,299
The Jupiter Mattress by Eight Sleep uses its smart technology to help monitor and improve your sleeping habits so you can sleep more comfortably.
The Jupiter is an excellent and affordable option for folks who want to expand their smart home or for individuals who just want memory foam, with the added bonus of tracking and influencing sleep health and habits.
Both comfort technology and smart technology work well together in this product, and This should leave most people feeling well rested. As knowledge of home automation and smart technology transition from science fiction and into modern society, products like the Jupiter Mattress will only continue to grow. This bed may an initial ripple in the wave that carries mattresses into the future.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”