A new mattress is a wise investment, and just like any significant purchase, you want the bed to feel amazing from night one and keep you resting comfortably for years to come.
The team at IDLE Sleep builds upon their expertise in the mattress industry with the development of IDLE Hybrid. This dual-sided mattress can be flipped and rotated depending on whether you prefer a luxury firm feel or medium firmness. This convenient capability could help reduce sagging and maximize long-term durability.
In our in-depth review of the IDLE Hybrid, we will take you through all the precise details of this bed, including its design and who will benefit the most from this mattress.
Continue reading for all the details, or if you prefer, you can jump to the end to read our overall assessment of this hybrid mattress.
The following video features a mattress with the previous cover design.
Excellent Matches For Idle Hybrid
- Undecided sleepers – The IDLE Hybrid combines an innerspring build and foam to create a perfect two-in-one product. You will experience the bounce of the coil springs, combined with the pressure relief and body contouring of foam, for a well-rounded sleep experience.
- Shoppers seeking longevity – This brand stands by their hybrids with a lifetime guarantee and claims that the flippable dual-sided construction helps extend the life of the mattress.
- Hot sleepers – The company has included several innovative features to help keep you sleeping cool. From the cover’s temperature-adjusting materials to their specially-made Cooling Buoyancy Foam, this bed is designed to help prevent you from waking up sweaty.
Possible Idle Hybrid Considerations:
- There’s no memory foam – The foams that make up this mattress are designed to provide optimum comfort and support. Although the bed is not equipped with traditional memory foam, that shouldn’t deter you from considering this product. IDLE Sleep has developed its own Buoyancy Foam, which offers as much as 400 percent more support than regular memory foam. Not only is their custom foam made with cooling capabilities, but the company claims it reacts even faster than memory foam for excellent contouring. Despite the lack of memory foam, the IDLE Hybrid offers an appealing upgraded design of this popular foam.
Idle Hybrids can support significant weight, but the Idle brand website doesn’t state a specific weight limit. Hybrids are better than memory foam models for supporting heavier bodies due to the innerspring design, which offers a more robust lift.
Considering the materials that make up the mattress, the design, and how it’s constructed, individuals under 230 pounds should not have a problem finding comfort on the Idle Hybrid with a medium firmness option. Most larger individuals will need a denser mattress to feel comfortably supported because the heavier a person is, the further they will sink. Heavier sleepers over 230 pounds should feel gently cradled by the Idle Hybrid Firm option. We’ve found that only side sleepers above 230 pounds seem to enjoy the medium option. Heavier folks who sleep in all types of positions, however, should enjoy the firmer model.
Construction: What’s inside Idle Hybrid?
The Idle Hybrid is a mix of performance foam and coils to provide a bed that has both buoyancy and conforming capabilities. It was designed to work well with many different frames, from platforms to slats to adjustable bases.
The cover is made with an advanced Thermocool™ fabric that helps maintain a comfortable temperature while you’re asleep. It is both soft and cool to the touch and is stretched to cover the 14-inch thick mattress.
- Below the cover is a fire-resistant barrier, free of carcinogenic chemicals and other hazardous gases or toxins.
- The initial comfort layer is 1 inch thick and is made from IDLE contouring foam that is quilted into the cover for plushness and comfort.
- Going deeper, the second foam layer contains 2 inches of Cooling Buoyancy Foam that has been specially formulated to provide 4-times better pressure relief than traditional memory foam while having a quicker response time and less heat retention.
- The support layer is 1 inch of transitional foam before the coils.
- The innerspring unit builds the support system with 6 inches of Quantum Edge-to-Edge pocketed coils that can reduce your experience of motion transfer while keeping your spine resting straight.
- The bottom repeats the initial five layers beginning with the transitional foam and ends with the Thermocool fabric cover.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The mattress comes to your house rolled into a box for easy transport to your bedroom, where you can unpack and unfold it onto the bed frame of your choice.
The cover feels cool to the touch, and lying down on the mattress feels plush and soft due to the layer of contouring foam quilted into the cover. Followed by highly responsive foams that hold your body in a deeper cradle, the IDLE Sleep Hybrid shouldn’t make you feel stuck in one position.
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10 (Medium) 8.5/10 (Luxury Firm)
When you lie down, you should feel excess pressure in different body parts, hence the term ‘pressure points’. These might include your hips, back, and shoulders. In some cases, that pressure becomes painful, which is why it’s essential to seek out a mattress specifically designed to relieve pressure.
The top foam layers of the Idle Hybrid are constructed with this in mind. The initial 1-inch foam layer is quilted into the cover, enabling the mattress to have a plush feel. That soft comfort should help ease aches and pains throughout your joints.
Followed by that is a 2-inch layer of custom-blended IDLE Cooling Buoyancy Foam, which is where this brand stands out. While many consumers may seek out popular memory foam, Idle Sleep assures that its unique take on the responsive foam can provide sleepers as much as 400 percent more pressure relief than regular memory foam.
This bed’s hybrid construction allows it to not only excel at providing pressure relief but also has a top-quality supportive base to promote good spinal alignment. Proper spinal alignment while you sleep is crucial because this can help alleviate back and neck pain.
The third layer of foam on this mattress is a transitional layer for added support. However, the bed’s main supportive feature is the 6-inch Quantum Edge-to-Edge wrapped coils. According to Idle, these coils offer “world-class support” to those who use this mattress.
For heavier sleepers over 300 pounds, the Luxury Firm Idle Hybrid will provide the most support.
Multiple Firmness Options
There are two firmness options you can choose from Medium and Luxury Firm. You can also choose to have a dual-sided option, with Medium-firm on one side and Luxury Firm on the other, so you can flip it whenever you like.
Idle’s signature Cooling Buoyancy Foam and Thermocool fabric are designed to keep you feeling comfortable throughout the night.
Exceptional Edge Support
Because bed-in-a-box brands are rolled up, their edge support does not always excel. However, the Quantum coil unit and 14-inch height play a large part in making the edges of this hybrid secure whether you are lying down or sitting on the side. If you share your mattress and want to maximize the space you both have to spread out, you will want a sleep space with excellent edge support.
The Idle’s innerspring unit and buoyancy foam allow it to have some bounce, which can be beneficial to sleepers who move around frequently. Couples who are sexually active may also find this preferable.
Adjustable Base Compatible
For your convenience, the Idle Hybrid is compatible with an adjustable base.
Handcrafted in the USA
This bed is CertiPUR-US® certified, which indicates that a third-party organization has tested the materials. In addition, the materials used have passed safety standards that check for chemicals like formaldehyde and lead.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - The brand ships free of charge throughout the continental U.S. and return shipping is free as well.
- White-Glove Delivery - The company provides an optional White Glove Delivery Service to help you get set up with your new mattress. White-Glove Delivery incurs an additional charge of $299, but the service is temporarily unavailable due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Trial - If you are unsure about your purchase, you can try this product for 548 nights to see if it works for you and your partner. If not, you can send it back for free.
- Warranty - This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$1,999|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$2,099|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$2,799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$3,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$3,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$3,799|
|Split King||80” x 76” x 13”||$3,998|
Idle Hybrid vs. Casper Wave Hybrid
The Idle Hybrid and Casper Wave Hybrid both offer excellent relief for achy pressure points and quality support for spinal alignment. The Idle Hybrid is Idle Sleep’s bestseller, and for a good reason. The supportive coils and foams work together to provide buoyant lift without sacrificing pressure relief.
The Casper Wave is a strong competitor in almost all categories against the Idle, except for the price. Casper’s Wave Hybrid model is significantly higher. However, The Casper Wave offers superior motion isolation, but not by much. The Idle Hybrid is still strong in this category, but the Casper Wave is the winner.
The Idle Hybrid does an excellent job cooling warm sleepers. The coils benefit not only sexually active couples but help with temperature as well. The innersprings allow air to flow freely throughout the bed, keeping it cool.
The Casper Wave also helps warm sleepers and has considerable cooling qualities. We don’t discount this mattress in this category; however, the Idle beats Casper regarding cooling capabilities. Idle’s innovative Cooling Buoyancy Foam paired with the Thermocool fabric helps keep hot sleepers from overheating in the middle of the night. In contrast, the Casper Wave Hybrid is overtaken by its brand’s own Casper Wave Hybrid Snow in temperature control.
The Idle Hybrid is a luxury mattress perfect for sleepers who prefer a combination of foam and innerspring. The two different firmness options should accommodate a wide variety of sleepers.
The curves of side sleepers should feel gently accommodated by the soft foams of the Medium model. These sleepers shouldn’t enjoy soothing pressure relief by the soft layers. Sometimes discomfort occurs in this position from the body’s weight being concentrated on a narrower surface area. The coils beneath the foams should also help maintain spine alignment.
Back sleepers should enjoy how the softer layers conform to their lumbar region while the coils in the support layer hold their spine in good alignment. Keep in mind, this brand is available in a Luxury Firm if you prefer something harder or carry extra weight and require additional support.
Side sleepers need to ensure that their hips, which tend to be heavier, remain even with the rest of their body, and if the surface is too soft, they might find their spine is not perfectly aligned. Lighter and more average-weight stomach sleepers should feel fine on the Medium. Still, many who stick to this position exclusively may feel better served by the Luxury Firm, especially if they carry more weight in their middle.
The Idle Hybrid’s versatility makes it an excellent choice for sleepers who change positions throughout the night, as combination sleepers often struggle with softer beds. The Medium firm feel is the ideal middle ground for those different sleep positions, while the bed’s Quantum coil unit minimizes motion transfer so that frequent movement is less likely to become a nuisance.
The bed’s Medium feel, which is great for all sleep positions, coupled with the combined features of a hybrid, makes it an excellent choice for couples with differing sleep styles and preferences. Couples should also prefer the bed’s ability to minimize motion transfer, as constant tossing and turning may keep your significant other up at night.
Heavier sleepers over 300 pounds need added support from their bed. The Idle Hybrid’s Luxury Firm option is an excellent choice for heavier folks who need a stronger mattress to accommodate their weight and provide them with a comfortable sleep space. This bed provides a top-notch support system with its coil unit and transitional foam layer.
Sleepers who weigh much lighter than average and lie on their side may prefer another model with a more plush feel. However, light-weight sleepers who rest on their back or stomach should do reasonably well on this bed’s Medium-firm option, but it’s not what we recommend for lightweight sleepers.
With a reversible design, combination foam, and innerspring construction, plus innovative technology like the Cooling Buoyancy Foam, Idle provides consumers with multiple perks in one product. While some beds may not last as long as preferred, the company says its dual-side design should extend the product’s life, adding to its overall value.
This bed scores highly in many categories for a variety of bodies and sleep positions. Minus the fact that it’s a bit on the pricier end of the competition, the value is worthwhile, and the firmness options come in handy.
Side sleepers weighing 130 to 230 pounds should feel great on the mattress, as well as back and stomach sleepers weighing over 230 pounds when buying the firmer model. Couples who are sexually active should find this bed virtually silent with excellent edge support, and the springy feel allows individuals to reposition with ease.
Finally, Idle’s Cooling Buoyancy Foam and Thermocool fabric help keep hot sleepers comfortable.