A new mattress is a smart investment, and just like any major purchase, you want the mattress to feel amazing immediately and keep you resting comfortably for years to come.
The team at IDLE Sleep is building upon their expertise in the mattress business with the development of the IDLE Hybrid, a dual-sided mattress that can be flipped and rotated depending on whether you prefer a luxury firm feel or medium firmness. This convenient capability could help reduce sagging and maximize long-term durability.
In our in-depth review of the IDLE Hybrid, we will take you through all the specific details of this bed, including its design and who will benefit the most from this mattress.
Continue reading for all the details, or if you prefer, you can jump to the end to read our overall assessment of this hybrid mattress.
The following video features a mattress with the previous cover design.
Excellent Matches For Idle Hybrid
- Undecided sleepers – The IDLE Hybrid combines an innerspring build and foam to create a perfect two-in-one product. You will experience the bounce of the coil springs, combined with the pressure relief and body contouring of foam, for a well-rounded sleep experience.
- Shoppers seeking longevity – This brand stands by their hybrids with a lifetime guarantee and claims that the flippable dual-sided construction helps extend the life of the mattress.
- Hot sleepers – The company has included several innovative features to help keep you sleeping cool. From the cover’s temperature-adjusting materials to their specially-made Cooling Buoyancy Foam, this bed is designed to help prevent you from waking up sweaty.
Possible Idle Hybrid Considerations:
- There’s no memory foam – The foams that make up this mattress are designed to provide optimum comfort and support. Although the bed is not equipped with traditional memory foam, that shouldn’t deter you from considering this product. IDLE Sleep has developed their own Buoyancy Foam, which the company says offers as much as 400 percent more support than regular memory foam. Not only is their custom foam made with cooling capabilities, but the company claims it reacts even faster than memory foam for excellent contouring. Despite the lack of memory foam, the IDLE Hybrid offers an appealing upgraded design of this popular foam.
Construction: What’s inside Idle Hybrid?
The Idle Hybrid is a mix of performance foam and coils to provide a bed that has both buoyancy and conforming capabilities. It was designed to work well with many different types of frames, from platforms to slats to adjustable bases.
The cover is made with an advanced Thermocool™ fabric that helps maintain a comfortable temperature while you’re asleep. It is both soft and cool to the touch and is stretched to cover the 14-inch thick mattress.
- Below the cover is a fire-resistant barrier that is free of carcinogenic chemicals and other hazardous gases or toxins.
- The initial comfort layer is 1 inch thick and is made from IDLE contouring foam that is quilted into the cover for plushness and comfort.
- Going deeper, the second foam layercontains 2 inches of Cooling Buoyancy Foam that has been specially formulated to provide 4-times better pressure relief than traditional memory foam while having a quicker response time and less heat retention.
- The support layer is 1 inch of transitional foam before the coils.
- The innerspring unit builds the support system with 6 inches of Quantum Edge-to-Edge pocketed coils that can reduce your experience of motion transfer while keeping your spine resting straight.
- The bottomis a repeat of the initial five layers beginning with the transitional foam and ends with the Thermocool fabric cover.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The mattress comes to your house rolled into a box for easy transport to your bedroom, where you can unpack and unfold it onto the bedframe of your choice.
The cover feels cool to the touch, and lying down on it, the mattress feels plush and soft, due to the layer of contouring foam quilted into the cover. This is followed by highly responsive foams that hold your body in a deeper cradle without making you feel like you can not move around.
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10 (Medium) 8.5/10 (Luxury Firm)
When you lie down, you should feel excess weight pressure in different parts of the body, hence the term ‘pressure points’. These might include your hips, back, and shoulders. In some cases, that pressure becomes painful, which is why it’s important to seek out a mattress specifically designed to relieve pressure.
The top foam layers of the Idle Hybrid are constructed with this in mind. The initial 1-inch foam layer is quilited into the cover, which enables the mattress to have a plush feel. That soft comfort should help ease aches and pains throughout your joints.
Followed by that is a 2-inch layer of custom-blended IDLE Cooling Buoyancy Foam, which is where this brand really stands out. While many consumers may seek out popular memory foam, Idle Sleep assures that its individual take on responsive foam can provide sleepers as much as 400 percent more pressure relief than regular memory foam.
This bed’s hybrid construction allows it to not only excel at providing pressure relief, but it also has a top-quality supportive base to promote good spinal alignment. Proper spinal alignment while you sleep is crucial because this can help alleviate back and neck pain.
The third layer of foam on this mattress is a transitional layer for added support, however, the bed’s main supportive feature is the 6-inch Quantum Edge-to-Edge wrapped coils. According to Idle, these coils offer “world class support” to those who use this mattress.
For heavier sleepers over 300 pounds, the Luxury Firm Idle Hybrid will provide the most support.
Multiple Firmness Options
There are two firmness options you can choose from: Medium and Luxury Firm.
Idle’s signature Cooling Buoyancy Foam and Thermocool fabric are designed to keep you feeling comfortable throughout the night.
Exceptional Edge Support
Because bed-in-a-box brands are rolled up, their edge support does not always excel. However, the Quantum coil unit and 14-inch height play a large part in making the edges of this hybrid secure whether you are lying down or sitting on the side. If you share your mattress and want to maximize the space you both have to spread out, you will want a sleep space with great edge support.
The Idle’s innerspring unit and buoyancy foam allows it to have some bounce, which can be beneficial to sleepers who move around frequently. Couples who are sexually active may also find this preferable.
Adjustable Base Compatible
For your convenience, the Idle Hybrid is compatible with an adjustable base.
Handcrafted in the USA
This bed is CertiPUR-US® certified, which indicates that the materials have been tested by a third party organization and have met safety standards that check for chemicals like formaldehyde and lead.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - The brand ships free of charge throughout the continental U.S. and return shipping is free as well.
- White-Glove Delivery - The company provides an optional White Glove Delivery Service to help you get set up with your new mattress. This is an additional charge of $299, but the service is temporarily unavailable due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Trial - If you are unsure about your purchase, you can try this product for 548 nights to see if it works for you and your partner. If not, you can send it back for free.
- Warranty - This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$1,228|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,285|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,570|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,856|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,142|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,142|
|Split King||80” x 76” x 13”||$2,498|
The Idle Hybrid is a luxury mattress that’s perfect for sleepers who prefer a combination of foam and innerspring, and the two different firmness options should accommodate a wide variety of sleepers.
Side sleepers should feel their curves are well accommodated in the soft foams of the Medium and shouldn’t experience any uncomfortable pressure points that sometimes occur in this position because all of the body’s weight is concentrated on a narrower surface area. The coils beneath the foams should also help maintain spine alignment.
Back sleepers should enjoy how the softer layers conform to their lumbar region while the coils in the support layer hold their spine in good alignment. Keep in mind, this brand is available in a Luxury Firm if you prefer something harder or carry extra weight and require additional support.
Side sleepers need to ensure that their hips, which tend to be heavier, remain even with the rest of their body, and if the surface is too soft, they might find their spine is not perfectly aligned. Lighter and more average weight stomach sleepers should feel fine on the Medium, but many who stick to this position exclusively may feel better served by the Luxury Firm, especially if they carry more weight in their middle.
The Idle Hybrid’s versatility makes it a great choice for sleepers who change positions throughout the night, the calling card of combination sleepers. The Medium firm feel is the ideal middle ground for those different sleep positions, while the bed’s Quantum coil unit minimizes motion transfer so that frequent movement is less likely to become a nuisance.
The bed’s Medium feel, which is good for all sleep positions, coupled with the combination features of a hybrid, make it an excellent choice for couples who may have differing sleep styles and preferences. Couples should also prefer the bed’s ability to minimize motion transfer, as constant tossing and turning may keep your significant other up at night.
Heavier sleepers over 300 pounds need added support from their bed. The Idle Hybrid’s Luxury Firm option is a great choice for heavier folks who need a stronger mattress to accommodate their weight and provide them with a comfortable sleep space. This bed provides a top-notch support system with its coil unit and transitional foam layer.
Sleepers who weigh much lighter than average and lie on their side may prefer another model with a more plush feel. However, light-weight sleepers who rest on their back or stomach should do well on this bed’s Medium firm option. We do not recommend the Luxury Firm for light-weight sleepers.
With a reversible design, combination foam and innerspring construction, plus innovative technology like the Cooling Buoyancy Foam, Idle provides consumers with multiple perks in one product. While some beds may not last as long as preferred, the company says it’s dual-side design should extend the product’s life, adding to its overall value.