Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
When you hear air mattress you probably think, guest room or the type of thing that rolls away into a closet. This is not that kind of air mattress.
IDLE’s best selling mattress, the Idle Sleep Hybrid gave sleepers a flippable firmness option. Their new bed offers even more customization, as it not only gives sleepers a choice of latex or memory foam in the comfort layer, this mattresses air chamber can be adjusted to fix sleepers with their preferred firmness.
Our In-Depth IDLE Air Mattress overview goes through each of the layers of the bed, evaluating features such as pressure relief, comfort, and support.
Keep around for all the details or feel free to skip to the end for our scoring and summary.
You will love IDLE Air if you:
- Want customization – There are two separate customizations in this mattress. First the air chambers in the base let you change the firmness of each side of the mattress independently. Second, the comfort foams can be swapped for a different feel up top.
- Need temperature regulation – This bed incorporates several features that help keep the sleeping surface temperature regulated. Both the foams and fabrics are incorporated with temperature control.
- Want pressure relief – The foams in this product are designed to be highly conforming, hugging those curves that have constant strain. Additionally, the air chambers allow sleepers to better target their pressure points with firmness adjustment.
You might not like IDLE Air if you:
- Love an innerspring feel – Unlike many mattresses on the market, this bed does not have the springy sensation you may be used to. The support system is topped with comforting foams provided that similar feel and support that coils provide, though there may be noticeably less bounce than an innerspring model.
- Want a wireless remote – This bed only has a wired remote that attaches directly to the pumps. A benefit to this is customers never have to worry about losing their remote control.
Or you can check our other top rated mattresses to get the most perfect option for you.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This product ships to customer’s homes roll compressed inside of a box. It works well with platform frames, adjustable bases, box springs, or slatted foundations. The brand sells its own bases, including an extra sturdy foundation that they recommend.
Unlike many other beds of this style the IDLE Air is pretty much ready to go right out of the box, minimal setup is needed to get customers to sleep.
The cover is a chenille, Pillow Flex fabric. It is an ultra plush Euro style pillow top that was designed to be incredibly soft and pressure relieving. This material is a temperature neutral fabric that was designed to stay breathable all night long.
This mattress stands at 14 inches tall and has 6 layers beneath the cover.
- The first layer is double-sided. Simply unzip the euro top cover to unveil the natural latex on one end and proprietary Memory-Cell material on the other. This can be flipped so your preferred material is right beneath the pillow top. The memory material fosters more of a slow responding, close contour while the latex delivers a faster response and gentle cradle.
- The second layer is a multi-zoned foam that targets the sleeper’s anatomy by providing varying levels of support in 6 different sections. This layer should help sleepers maintain better spinal alignment.
- The third layer is a foam material designed to contour to the body and uniformly distribute weight over the surface of the mattress.
- The fourth layer is a thin sheet that functions as a moisture barrier, protecting the internal features to provide a healthier and longer lasting sleep experience.
- The fifth layer is a 1-inch 5 Zone Anatomic support layer. This is a dense polyfoam with 5 zones that target further support and pressure relief.
- The sixth layer presents the customizable features. These airbeds were designed to contour to the shape of the sleeper and can be manually adjusted to the firmness of your liking. Simply use the remote to pick a feel anywhere between feather soft to extra firm.
- The perimeter that encases the mattress is a Memory Weaved wrapped Power Edge support foam. This design significantly increases durability and support along the sides.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rate beds on a ten point firmness scale, with 1’s being soft as air and 10’s like a rock. With the adjustable firmness, this mattress is anywhere between a 4 and 7.5 on that scale. This makes this a versatile option for all kinds of body types and sleeping positions.
When lying down the cover should feel cool and extra plush, because of the soft furnishing on top. Beneath this are several cushioning foams made to hug the sleeper’s curves. These materials are pretty responsive, though if you flip the comfort layer to the memory side, it may respond slightly slower near the surface.
Overall this product has a moderate bounce that is helped out by the air chambers, though this is mostly reduced by the foams on top. Still, there is plenty of responsiveness that helps repositioning sleepers at night.
Back sleepers have a wide range on what type of feel that they like. Some like an extra soft sleeping surface, while others prefer something more on the firm side. The IDLE allows these folks to adjust the mattress so they get the feel that fits their comfort needs.
Side sleepers typically enjoy a softer sleeping surface that cushions their pressure areas. These individuals often experience strain in their hips and shoulders because these areas cover a smaller surface area with increased pressure. Side sleepers might consider flipping the comfort layer over on the memory foam side.
Stomach sleepers will often enjoy a firmer mattress. How firm this is will often vary and these sleepers will likely enjoy how they can adjust the IDLE to get their ideal feel.
This mattress truly benefits all sleeping positions and body types as sleepers have so much customization with this product.
This is important to think about if you share a bed with a partner. A mattress that has minimal motion transfer, keeps movement from trickling from one side to the other. So, say your partner frequents the restroom at night, a mattress with good motion isolation will keep you from feeling each and every time they get out of bed.
Apart from the air bladders in the base, this is an all foam bed, so motion transfer should be top of the line. Foam materials typically do well under motion tests, so unless your partner is jumping in and out of bed each night, they really shouldn’t disturb you too much.
This can be a category where bed-in-a-box brands struggle. These types of products are built to compress, so sturdy edges are not always an option.
This bed sports extra dense foam along the sides, making this product an excellent pick for edge support. Whether you are sleeping or sitting along the perimeter, you should experience a whole lot of support and very little compression.
- Adjustable Firmness – Each sleeper can adjust their firmness with a remote control that is attached to the mattress. This ranges from extra firm to feather soft.
- 120-night trial – Customers can try this product in their home for 120-night, and if they are not happy with their experience, they can return their purchase for a full refund.
- Lifetime Warranty – This product is covered by a Lifetime warranty to protect each customer’s purchase.
- Free Shipping – This product typically ships for free within 10 business days to anywhere in the contiguous United States and parts of Canada. This also applies to shipping fees for returned purchases.
- Optional White Glove Delivery – For an additional charge, a delivery team will deliver your new bed, set it up, and remove your old mattress.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certifies that the materials in this product have been tested by a third party for safe levels of harmful chemicals, ozone depleters, heavy metals, and more.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||$1,624|
|Queen (Single Chamber)||60” x 80” x 14”||$2,524|
|Queen (Dual Chamber)||60” x 80” x 14”||$2,584|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$2,774|
|Split King (two Twin XL’s)||39” x 80” x 14” (x2)||$3,248|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$2,774|
The IDLE Air rivals other air adjustable mattresses with quality comfort and outperforms their competitors in affordability.
The IDLE Air is not the first adjustable air bed on the market but it is one of the first that comes to shoppers at an affordable price. If you are looking for great customization that leaves you sleeping in the perfect feel, the IDLE Air might be your bed.
If you are unsure of what you want in a bed, then the IDLE Air could still be a great choice. This option allows sleepers to adjust their bed until they find the fit that works for them.
Still on the fence? Remember it has a 120 Night sleep trial, so you can test it out worry-free.