Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Hyphen wants you to “live life at your peak” and believes that begins with the healthiest night’s sleep possible.
Unlike some startups, this brand is a bed-in-a-box backed by over 70 years of mattress expertise. Their parent company, Diamond Mattress, has been in the sleep business since 1946. Hyphen’s aim is to help people live more active and vibrant lives by improving their rest.
Our in-depth Hyphen mattress review will walk you through the performance layers of this all-foam mattress and score it based on features like cooling, motion transfer, and support.
Read on for a close-up look at the layers and feel or forge ahead for our summary section and overall score.
You will love Hyphen if you:
- Are looking for pressure relief – This mattress offers comfortable pressure relief, and this is especially important for side sleepers who sometimes develop pressure points in their hips and shoulders. The bed also does a great job of isolating motion so you can rest undisturbed by restless partners or pets.
- Sleep hot – Temperature-regulating features have been incorporated into both the foam and the cover. In fact, the whole design was engineered to promote airflow that helps keep the bed from overheating, a common occurrence with foam. Also, you should not nest deep inside this mattress, and with more of your body exposed to the air, your body temperature should be better regulated.
- Want a healthier sleep – Both the cover and top layer were specially designed with antimicrobial and hypoallergenic materials such as copper to resist dust mites, bacteria, and mold that can cause illness. The cover is also machine washable.
You might not like Hyphen if you:
- Prefer an innerspring feel – The high-density base and buoyant second layer deliver a medium-level bounce that helps you move around on this mattress without getting stuck, while the foams isolate motion and prevent it from disturbing your partner. That said, it will not have the same feel and high level of bounce and airflow that most beds with innersprings can deliver (see our top picks).
Do you want to explore more options? We just updated our Top Overall Mattress picks for 2020.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Hyphen is an all-foam product compressed into a box and delivered from your door directly from the company’s own factory. It can be placed on most frames and foundations with flat, firm surfaces, like platforms, slats, box springs, and adjustable bases. The company also offers a selection of foundations for its mattress on their site.
The zip-off cover made from a polyester and spandex blend was designed to be antimicrobial, breathable, and hypoallergenic. Though the cover is machine washable if necessary, the company recommends spot cleaning whenever possible to prevent shrinkage or changes to the fit.
The mattress is 10 inches tall and made with 3 distinct layers.
- The first layer is the 2-inch comfort layer of soft and aerated Custom-Formulated Foam that was designed to blend qualities of latex and memory materials and provide pressure relief and motion isolation. An infusion of naturally antimicrobial copper helps to conduct heat away from the body and keep the foam clean.
- The second layer is 2 inches of Buoyant Transition Foam that was designed to evenly distribute weight and provide bounce.
- The third layer is a 6-inch Orthopedic Support Layer that forms the foundation and is a source of its durability, as well as support for the sleeper.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our firmness scale (learn more here), the Hyphen scored at a 5.5 to 6 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. This places it right in the Medium range, which should comfortably accommodate a variety of individuals.
Beyond the soft cover, one of the first things you will notice is how responsive the foam is and how easy it is to move around on top. Hyphen’s proprietary materials seek to find the best balance between memory and latex to provide both pressure-relieving contouring and mid-level bounce.
As you settle in, the foam will gently cradle all points of the body for what the company calls “variable support,” which means the foam conforms to your whole body while providing support at your heaviest points. This uniformity helps to keep the spine well-aligned.
This bed’s placement in the middle of the firmness range makes it an ideal choice for combination sleepers who like to change things up with their positions. These individuals should also not have any problem moving from one position to the next.
Most back sleepers will feel cradled by the foams but still receive enough support to keep their spine straight.
Side sleepers should not feel stress through their hips or shoulders where their weight tends to concentrate in this position. The uniform contouring and the supportive base helps keep the spine straight.
Stomach sleepers tend to require slightly more support to keep their spines straight and their hips from dipping too low.
Everyone experiences firmness differently and a lot of your experience on a mattress will depend on your body weight and shape. A majority of people will appreciate the balance of comfort and support of this bed, but significantly heavier individuals who lie on their back or stomach may want something slightly firmer.
One of the advantages of foams in mattresses is that most work really well to absorb bounce and vibration, thereby isolating motion. Movement on one side of the bed will not disturb someone sleeping on the other side. Hyphen performs exceptionally in this category, as it is an all-foam construction. If you or your partner are an exceptionally light sleeper, motion transfer is something you may want to consider.
Hyphen performs as expected for an all-foam bed, which typically do not have exceptional edge support. Comfort layers were designed to conform to your weight rather than prop it up, and this may be noticeable sitting on the side with all of your weight concentrated in a small area.
While there is some compression when you are seated on the edge, you should still feel supported when lying down on the side with your weight more evenly distributed.
If you sleep solo, edge support may not concern you, but those who share will need to occupy more of their bed’s surface area and may want to consider their bed’s edge support.
- Trial Period – You can try this bed for 100 nights to make sure it is right for you or return it for a full refund.
- Warranty – Each sale comes with a 20-year warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping and returns are available within the United States. Free shipping is available to Hawaii and Alaska, though returns may incur a small shipping fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams in this mattress were independently tested and found within safe limits of heavy metals, specific chemicals, and ozone depleters.
- Charity Initiatives – The company donates to a variety of charitable organizations that help people get a better night’s rest. In 2017, they gave 1,000 beds to help victims of Hurricane Harvey.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 74” x 10”||$575|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$675|
|Full||53” x 74” x 10”||$800|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$950|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,095|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,095|
Hyphen’s all-foam mattress was designed to be cleaner and healthier, delivering a cool and comfortable feel backed by 70 years of experience from Diamond Mattress.
Hyphen brings the years of expertise of Diamond Mattress to the online space and has created a product that caters to the active lifestyle. The mattress has great pressure relief and comfort with enough bounce that it does not hamper maneuverability.
High-performance foams and the latest mattress innovations, such as conductive copper, adaptive temperature technology, and proprietary foams, will keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night. The company’s special attention to hypoallergenic and anti-microbial materials will help you have cleaner and healthier nights. Because Hyphen owns its own factory, they are able to pass on significant value and cost savings to their customers.
According to the brand, the best and most vibrant life begins with restorative sleep, and they are giving you 100 free nights to see if you find it with Hyphen.