Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Based out of Arizona, Brooklyn Bedding’s local showrooms deal with their fair share of customers who sleep hot. Beds with incorporated cooling tech are a big deal for people who wake up in a pool of sweat. This is one of the reasons the company has emphasized temperature control and cooling in several of their models.
Freya is the company’s coolest model to date, surpassing some of their other top rated products. Not only is it their coolest option, but the company also claims that this is the coolest mattress ever made.
Our in-depth overview of the Freya bed dives between the layers see how their claim holds up. This analysis is based on our scoring system that looks at features such as cooling, comfort, support, and overall product value.
Don’t want to miss every detail on this cool bed? Keep reading for a full report, or if time is short feel free to skip on down to our summary and conclusion to see how we scored this bed.
You will love Freya if you:
- Sleep hot – This product was designed to keep sleepers nice and cool. It includes an impressive number of features that make it one of the top cooling beds in the industry. With a useful combination of gel, phase change technology, copper, and a breathable coil layer, sleeping hot should be a fear of the past.
- Want a great mix of comfort and support – The company has included several different materials that foster a good balance of comfort and support. The top foam layers really help cradle the body’s curves while the pocket coils should provide deeper level cushioning and stability that keeps the body properly aligned.
- Are a combination sleeper – This Medium firmness should be great for people who rest in any position. It is soft enough to provide pressure relief for side sleepers and plenty firm to keep stomach sleepers’ hips from sinking in too deep. Back sleepers should enjoy the conforming foams and support provided by the base layers.
You might not like Freya if you:
- Desire an all foam bed – People feel snug and secure laying in a memory foam mattress. It provides excellent contouring and comfort that many other beds simply lack, but where some of these beds fall short is their ability to administer enhanced support and temperature regulation. What makes hybrids like the Freya Mattress so special is their ability to include a strong coil support and temperature control while maintaining a comforting memory foam feel.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
A carrier drops the Freya at your door compressed in a box so you can take it right inside your home and begin setup of your brand new mattress. The bed has two handles for convenient moving and setup. The manufacturer indicates that this product is compatible with just about any sturdy base, including adjustable bases.
The cover is a cotton top with poly foam and embedded technology known as phase change thermo knitting. This regulates body temperature by keeping the mattress cover at 88 degrees, which according to the brand is the optimal sleeping temperature.
This bed has a vertical height of 13.5 inches.
- The first layer is 2 inches of perforated visco-elastic memory foam with TitanCool™. This slow responding foam contours to curves while drawing heat away from the body.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of CopperGelEnergex™ foam with TitanCool™. A second layer infused with TitanCool™ enables this bed to remain cool throughout the night. It provides targeted pressure relief and contouring. This responsive foam supplies this mattress with a mid-level bounce that makes it easier for you to reposition.
- The third layer is a 1-inch transitional foam that eases the body’s weight into the innerspring coils beneath.
- The fourth layer is 8 inches of Quantum edge encased coils. These equip the Freya with reinforced edges and provide a support system that should work for most people.
- The base is a 1-inch foam that cushions the coils, forming the bed's foundation.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the Freya between a 4.5 and 5 on our firmness scale which rates mattresses on a scale from 1 to 10 with a ten being the firmest.
For more info you can check out full firmness scale and scoring system here.
The cover feels cool to the touch and you should actually be able to feel a difference in temperature between your body and the mattress. You should sink into the top slow responding foam layers and feel comfortably encased in a deep hug.
This bed gains most of its bounce through the pocket coil system near the base of the bed. Adjusting should be fairly simple as all you need to do is push through the soft foams and the coils underneath help you to do the rest.
Back sleepers should find an enjoyable nights rest on this mattress as the comfort foams envelop the gaps between the shoulders and hips. You should never feel stuck in this position as the coils underneath make it a breeze to adjust.
Side sleepers are typically all about pressure relief and this is why they often prefer a softer mattress. Heavier areas, such as the hips and shoulders, sink deeper into a mattress and can often cause discomfort and strain for people that rest on their side. This bed is considered a Medium, but we scored it on the softer side of medium, so side sleepers really should enjoy how they rest on this mattress.
Stomach sleepers often stray away from a softer mattress because of the tendency their hips have to sink in too deep. This bed delivers contouring in the comfort layers while the former middle layers help to keep stomach sleepers aligned, allowing them to experience a soft bed that should also provide the support they need. Significantly heavier stomach sleepers committed to their sleep position may dip a bit more and might like a firmer mattress.
The Freya should benefit the majority of folks, but the manufacturer does have a weight limit of 900 pounds for this product.
Memory foam is the king of managing motion transfer. Many couples flock to the material because of its ability to isolate motion to one side of the bed.
The Freya incorporates the motion isolation powers of memory foam with pocket coils. Pocket coils are wrapped and separated so limited motion can transfer across the bed. This product scores pretty well in this category, so if motion isolation is a factor in your mattress choice, this might be an option worth considering.
Edge support is a tricky subject for online mattress manufacturers because they have to compress and ship their beds in a box without ruining the materials inside. The Freya solves this problem by implementing an edge-to-edge spring system with reinforced coils that run along the perimeter. You should be able to sit, stand, or sleep on the edge of this bed without ever feeling like you might tumble off.
- Trial Period – The product has a 120-night trial that allows customers to return their purchase for a full refund.
- Warranty – When purchasing this product, customers are given a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the mainland United States. Products can be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii or Canada for an additional fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foams in this product have been certified free from harmful amounts of toxic materials and ozone depleters, including but not limited to, lead, mercury, and other dangerous metals.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,449|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,899
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5”||$2,399|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13.5”||$2,399
Sweaty sleeping is a thing of the past with Freya’s state of the art cooling technology that should leave you feeling great underneath the covers.
Hybrids often offer the best of both worlds. The Freya allows sleepers to get that traditional innerspring feel while sleeping in the comfort of memory foam.
The thing that really makes this mattress shine is its ability to keep you resting cool. Tired of sleeping hot? This might be the bed for you!
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.