Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Dromma wants to “reinvent the mattress industry” by building a more eco-friendly bed that reduces your carbon footprint without breaking the bank.
The company is working to replace petroleum-based foams with soy-based alternatives, which they say contain fewer chemicals, are more sustainable, and overall better for the environment. The company also oversees the entire production process from pouring foams to assembling the beds in the Carolinas, which helps them ensure high standards while still passing savings on to their customers.
Our in-depth Dromma review will take you inside the layers to see how this bed delivers on comfort and hopefully answer all your questions about how it feels, transfers motion, or handles heat retention.
Take a minute to read our comprehensive analysis or skip ahead for its summary and final score.
You will love Dromma if you:
- Want a memory feel without getting stuck – Memory materials in this mattress are positioned below the surface, which provides great pressure relief for your joints without making you feel trapped because quicker-responding foams up top make repositioning easier than it can be with traditional memory materials.
- Want to minimize motion transfer – If you sleep light and share your bed with a partner, a child, or a large pet, you will love how well this mattress isolates motion. There is very little disturbance that travels from one end to the other.
- Want a cleaner sleep – This company has incorporated proprietary antimicrobial properties into their top layer of foam, all of the foams are CertiPUR-US® certified, and the fully-removable cover is machine-washable. The company has also replaced some of the petroleum-based materials with soy-based materials that are more sustainable.
You might not like Dromma if you:
- Want a lot of bounce – The memory materials are designed to absorb your weight and hug to your body, and there is some good surface-level bounce that helps to ease repositioning, but there is not the deep-level pronounced bounce you will often find in mattresses that contain coil units.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Dromma is an all-foam bed-in-a-box option manufactured in North Carolina. You can take your pick of most foundations, including bunkie boards, platforms, adjustable bases, or even straight on the floor. A foundation designed by the company is also available for purchase.
The fully-removable cover is made from a soft polyester and lycra blend that is durable and stretchy. Unlike the covers of many competing bed-in-a-box models, it is completely machine washable.
Dromma measures 12 inches tall and is composed of 3 layers of American-made foam that is up to 30% soy-based.
- The first layer is a 1.5-inch Adapt Ultra-Responsive Performance Foam layer that contours to your curves for pressure relief. This layer is antimicrobial and breathable (with an open cell design), which helps promote airflow and keep the surface cool and clean. Its quick-response time and surface-level bounce help to ease repositioning.
- The second layer is 2.5 inches of a Preserve VG Visco Elastic Gel Memory Foam with an added infusion of cooling gel that aids in temperature regulation. It provides deep level contouring for pressure relief and is made predominantly with more eco-friendly soy-based materials.
- The third layer is 8 inches of what the company calls poly memory foam, and this forms the foundation and gives shape to the product. The layer’s flexibility is designed to be comfortable for multiple sleep positions while providing deep-level support. Part of its formulation is soy-based, as well.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Generally, a medium-firm comfort level is the most popular because it works with so many different sleeping positions and body types. We scored Dromma at a 6 out of 10 on our scale, with 10 being the firmest, which is between a medium and medium-firm.
The cover is soft and inviting, and as you settle into the bed, you’ll notice how the top layer of foam quickly adapts to your shape as the gel memory foam layer slowly wraps around your curves for a gently cradled feeling. You probably won’t sink as low as you might in more traditional memory beds. Instead, you should feel like you are floating on top of it, and you will notice some springiness in the top layer and a medium overall bounce.
Because you should sleep closer to the surface, more of your body is exposed to the circulating air that can regulate your body temperature. The makers of Dromma have also positioned the memory foam, which has a reputation for trapping heat, away from your body and infused it with gel to conduct heat away and keep you cool.
The quick-responding top layer will allow you to move around easily, and because the medium-firm comfort level is so accommodative to different sleeping positions, this mattress would be a good choice for combination sleepers.
Back sleepers who appreciate contouring in their lumbar region can enjoy the light cradling of this mattress that has enough deep-level support to keep their spines resting straight. How does that work? We made a page dedicated to back sleepers here.
Most side sleepers will be accommodated by the adaptive and conforming top layers that cradle their pressure points that tend to develop when weight is more concentrated on smaller surface areas. You can read more about their preferences here.
Most stomach sleepers who tend to require a firmer bed to keep their hips well supported and even with the rest of their body should be comfortable on this mattress. Why do they need firmer support? You can learn more about that here.
According to the company, there is a 400-500 pound weight limit for the entire surface of Dromma, so that may be something to think about if you and/or your partner have significantly higher weight considerations.
Memory materials generally do an exceptional job of absorbing vibrations so they are not felt by a sleeping partner. Though there is a very small transfer of movement in Dromma’s more springy top layer, most of this is dampened by the second layer of high-quality motion isolating memory foam, and motion transfer in the bed overall is minimal.
Memory beds that can be compressed and rolled into a box do not have the sturdiest edges on average, and Dromma performed as expected for a bed-in-a-box all-foam brand. You can expect your weight to compress the softer top layers, but your weight should be supported by the denser base layer. Lying down on the side, you should experience the same supportive cradle as you do in the center.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – All of the foams used in this product have met the rigorous standards of a third party organization that tests for harmful levels of chemicals, ozone depleters, and heavy metals like mercury.
- Charitable Initiatives – During special events and programs, Dromma arranges to donate one mattress for every mattress sold through their Give a Dream initiative. In the past, they have partnered with Beds for Kids, the Red Cross, and other organizations.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
Dromma is making strides to provide a cleaner, more eco-friendly world, one restorative sleep at a time.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
Dromma represents a great value in the eco-friendly mattress space and is packed with high-quality materials that will provide a comfort for many different types of sleepers at a good value.
Its design minimizes motion transfer while delivering on comfortable pressure relief that shouldn’t leave you feeling stuck. Antimicrobial materials and a washable cover will help you maintain a cleaner sleep space. For those looking to reduce their carbon footprint, Dromma has made an effort to replace up to 30% of their petroleum-based foams with soy materials.
Dromma believes their product can beat any other memory bed on the market, and not only will you be securing a fantastic sleep for yourself, you will also help provide for others through the company’s charitable initiatives.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”