Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Why choose when you can have it all?
Brentwood Home’s Ojai mattress is a hybrid bed packed with all the bells and whistles. Latex, memory foam, and zoned coils come together to create a versatile mattress that should work for most side, stomach, or back sleepers. Which is exactly what the company intended when they set out to create a more affordable luxury hybrid.
This in-depth overview of the Ojai bed will present you with assessments based on cooling, quality, and many more important mattress-buying features. We’ll also give you an idea of who this item should work best for.
Keep scrolling for our comprehensive analysis of this bed. Or jump to the end for our overall impression and final scores.
You will love the Ojai mattress if you:
- Want a versatile hybrid experience – This mattress packs a punch by combining a little bit of everything. Memory foam, latex, and zoned coils should offer optimal support or pressure relief for any type of sleeper. The overall medium to medium-firm feel should be comfortable to most shoppers who are looking for a new bed.
- Sleep hot – Gel infused into the foam, along with a breathable cover, temperature-regulating wool, and individually pocketed coils should promote airflow and cooling for this bed.
- Are looking for an affordable luxury product – Ojai is intended to be an affordable Brentwood Home item that should still provide a comfortable and luxurious high-end feel at a lower cost.
You might not like the Ojai mattress if you:
- Prefer a traditional memory foam experience – Buyers who prefer memory materials often like the deep hug and body-contouring such beds can provide. The Oceano Memory Foam Mattress Topper could provide that classic sinking feeling.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This bed-in-a-box hybrid features coils, foam, and latex. Any solid surface can be used with this mattress, including adjustable frames and box springs. The company recommends for slatted bases for slats to be 5 inches or less apart so that the mattress is properly supported.
The Tencel cover is hand-tufted to reduce the need for adhesives, helping to create a more natural product. This stretch-knit material should feel soft and breathable. A layer of New Zealand Wool beneath the cover helps to further regulate temperature to prevent overheating.
The total height of this bed is 12 inches.
- The first layer consists of a 1.5-inch Flo Foam. This material should be responsive while still conforming to the body. Shoppers should experience pressure relief as they lie on this material.
- The second layer holds 1.5 inches of Gel Memory Foam. The gel should promote cooling and prevent shoppers from feeling overly hot despite the contouring effect of the upper layer. This material should further provide pressure relief, along with motion isolation and even weight distribution.
- The third layer contains 1 inch of Dunlop Latex. This should add a deep level of responsiveness that aids in repositioning.
- The fourth layer is made up of Individually Wrapped Base Coils standing 8 inches in height. These coils are wrapped in order to absorb energy, which should help minimize motion transfer. Quantum Edge Combi-Zone Coils are placed in specifically chosen areas throughout the bed to allow for a zoned effect that should provide extra support or relief for the shoulders, back, and hips.
- The final layer contains a thin layer of foam to provide stability to the overall mattress system.
- The perimeter features a reinforced feel all the way around the edges of the bed to provide consistency and support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The combination of soft foams and firm springs should combine to create a medium to medium-firm comfort level. On our 1-10 comfort scale, this would be recognized as a ranking of 5-6. This system sees 1 as the softest feel and 10 as the firmest.
Shoppers should find themselves floating on top of the mattress, with minimal sinkage that results in a gentle cradle. Pressure relief and lumbar support should be evident in the slightly contouring foam. The coils and latex should provide more stability that fosters neutral spinal alignment.
The memory foam should be dense with little bounce and a slower response time. Combination sleepers should have no trouble changing positions thanks to the ample bounce and quick response of the latex.
Most stomach sleepers should experience a neutral spine as the gentle cradle and enhanced hip support should prevent too much sinkage.
Back sleepers should enjoy both pressure relief and support, especially in the lumbar region as the materials contour slightly to fill the negative space in the lower back. This should provide even weight distribution allowing for a more comfortable sleep experience.
Side sleepers often prefer a softer comfort experience. Though this mattress should offer a medium to medium-firm experience, the memory foam should prevent too much pressure from building up in the shoulders and hips. If a softer feel is required, the Salton 2” Soft Gel Topper should do the trick while further preventing overheating.
The company recommends a weight limit of 400 pounds per person, so most individual shoppers should be well-support by this product. There is a combined weight limit of 660 pounds for co-sleepers.
While this bed does have quite a bit of bounce from the latex and coils, the memory foam and fabric encasement around the coils should reduce motion transfer. This should allow light co-sleepers to enjoy fewer disruptions from restless partners.
Reinforced springs that stand rigid and firm are placed around the edges of this product to provide stable edge support. This should allow the sleep surface to feel solid all the way across the mattress. Sleeping along the edge should feel stable without fear of rolling off the bed.
- Charitable Donations – Following a customer donation, Brentwood Home will craft a relief bed to be given to a shelter serving those in need.
- Eco-Friendly Manufacturing – To ensure the manufacturing process creates less waste, leftover materials are used in other proprietary products.
- Trial Period – Shoppers are granted a full year to test out their new mattress.
- Warranty – This product is covered by a 25-year warranty.
- Shipping – This item ships for free within the continental United States.
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certification indicates this mattress contains low and safe levels of chemicals, heavy metals, or VOC emissions.
- OEKO-TEX® Certified – The wool beneath the cover is certified to have low levels of additives and low VOC emissions.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified – This is a second certification promising safe levels of items such as nickel, lead, or formaldehyde.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$795|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$849|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$995|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,195|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,495|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,495|
|Split King||39” x 80” x 12” (x2)||$1,698|
Any position preference should find something to love about the Ojai thanks to zoned coils and a mixture of pressure relief and support.
If you’re in the market for an affordable item that feels high-end, Brentwood Home’s Ojai is definitely worth a look. This latex, foam, and coil hybrid should appeal to most shoppers thanks to the zoned springs and medium to medium-firm feel. Sturdy springs around the edges and enhanced motion control should appeal to couples as these should maximize the usable sleep space while reducing motion transfer.