Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Weighted blankets were specially designed to help you fall asleep and stay asleep using deep pressure touch therapy. Essentially, sleeping with evenly distributed weights can simulate human touch and help slow heart rate, steady breathing, and minimize tossing and turning. So combining the science with a soft cooling color and optimized weight range, BlanQuil, sold by the trusted brand in bedding, Nectar, created a quilt that hugs you back.
Our comprehensive BlanQuil weighted blanket overview will go through the product specs to let you know who this blanket is great for, what makes it unique, and what you might like about it. Or skip to the end and see our final score.
You will love BlanQuil if you:
- Sleep Hot – BlanQuil was designed with breathable cotton and microfiber polyester to circulate air well. So though it’s heavy, this blanket should be feasible in all seasons even if you sleep hot.
- Want a More Eco-Friendly Option – BlanQuil uses natural glass microbeads as opposed to plastic, making this material eco-friendly, and less clumpy at the same time. As these beads are smooth and small, they should conform perfectly to your body.
- Want A Quilt Hybrid – It’s all in the name. BlanQuil was created to be a convenient quilt/weighted blanket hybrid that can keep you comfy and cozy while providing calming weight properties that shouldn’t get in the way of relaxation.
You might not like BlanQuil if you:
- Don’t Like to Feel Restricted – The weights in these blankets are designed to feel like a calming hug, but if you don’t like to be touched, that might not be your thing. While many prefer the extra weight, you could order the lighter blanket if you’re worried about it being too restrictive.
- Like to Share – These weighted blankets are made to fit one person at a time, so if you want to cover the whole bed, Nectar recommends getting two blankets. If you tend to move around a lot, don’t worry too much, BlanQuil should help minimize movement in your sleep, so it shouldn’t go anywhere.
In that case, you might want to check our list of other highest rated blankets.
How it Works
Weighted Blankets are often recommended for those with mental health concerns that can get in the way of sleep. In some studies, weighted blankets have helped ease anxiety and depression through deep pressure stimulation, which could elevate serotonin and melatonin levels without requiring a person or a pill. Though it may seem too good to be true, these blankets are popular for a reason, and we encourage you to try it for yourself.
The ideal weight percentage varies depending on who you ask, but Nectar recommends picking one between 8 and 15 percent of your body weight. As BlanQuil weighs 20 pounds, this should fit within that range for most sleepers.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This blanket is good for eco-friendly folks as the weights are made from glass microbeads. This means they should move and conform to your body for the ultimate embrace of natural materials. If you’ve ever wished your dog or partner could cuddle with you all day, this blanket could make that happen without throwing off anyone’s schedule.
The quilted cover is made from a plush polyester velvet which should be easy to clean in a machine, and hypoallergenic. You can even sleep without the cover in the warmer months if you sleep warm, as the inner blanket is made from soft, breathable cotton.
Feel (Support & Feel)
With an ultra-soft velvet cover, this blanket should help lull you to sleep comfortably without restricting movement too much as you’re getting comfortable. As this blanket is heavier than many other brands, it has a luxury feel that should stimulate deep pressure, guiding you into a deeper REM cycle according to Nectar.
Because of its cooling efforts, this blanket shouldn’t be too hot, but you could always remove the plush cover without affecting the weight or comfort benefits.
As the inner material is made from glass beads, there might be some noise as you shift that resembles moving sand. As these beads tend to be resistant to clumping, there should be a fine and smooth texture to the blanket, which shouldn’t disrupt sleep as the blanket uses eight connection points to perfectly distribute weight across the body and keep the beads in place.
- Warranty – This blanket comes with a 5-year warranty from Nectar
- Shipping – BlanQuil ships free from Nectar in the US with free returns for unopened products within 50 days of purchase.
- Machine Washable – The removable plush BlanQuil cover is machine washable and dryable, but the inner blanket and beads are spot-clean only.
|Size||Weight (lbs)||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||20lbs||74” x 47”||$169|
BlanQuil is a great reasonably priced option for those looking for a heavier luxury weighted blanket with some eco-friendly and cooling properties. Made with glass beads and a removable cover, the product uses specific measures to help deepen REM cycles through deep touch stimulation, without causing you to overheat.
With eight connection points to reduce bead shifting, this ultra-soft blanket should stay in place all night. So whether you need to take a midday breather on the couch or just need help winding down for bed, BlanQuil should help get the job done.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.