Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Bellabed strives to put the needs of others first. The customer by offering a premium feel for a low price, and the community as a whole by doing their part for charity and the environment. Has the company achieved their goal of creating a product and customer experience that can satisfy eco-minded people of all sleep preferences?
That’s what our in-depth review of the Bellabed mattress aims to find out. By poring over statistical data and keeping up with ever-changing sleep health trends, the company has put together their ideal product that should offer a quality experience to everyone regardless of budget concerns.
Both Soft and Firm comfort levels are available on this double-sided mattress, which gives you the option of a gel-infused memory foam or latex feel. We’ve rated the Firm option for everything from comfort to motion control.
Read through for a thorough look at this product’s qualities, or skip to the end for a comprehensive overview.
You will love Bellabed if you:
- Want versatility – Multiple comfort levels and the ability to sleep on the latex side or “in” the memory foam layer should provide a variety of sleep experiences to suit your needs. (To see picks for even more needs, check out our list of great beds.)
- Need a lot of motion control – Either side should provide enhanced motion control. This is ideal for co-sleepers and those who share their bed with pets.
- Are on a tighter budget – Shoppers looking to keep the price of their bed down on a budget should be happy with this hybrid’s Full and Queen options that shouldn’t break the bank.
You might not like Bellabed if you:
- Are concerned with easy repositioning – The Softer side of this product does hinder movement a little bit, but it is not necessarily a deal breaker as most should still be able to move freely. Those with heightened concerns in this area could find the Firm option to their liking, though they might experience less pressure relief using this comfort level as opposed to the Soft.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Bellabed is a Contouring Gel Memory Foam and Breathable Latex hybrid that ships compressed in a box. Most frames should be compatible with this product, including adjustable frames. The company recommends a platform or box spring be used on a metal frame with 5 legs, and at least 5 slats are present in wooden frames, for extra support.
The knit cover is made by hand in North Carolina.
There are 4 layers that stand a combined total of 11 inches.
- The first layer is made up of a Breathable Latex, that should help to circulate air and wick moisture and heat away from the sleeper.
- The second layer consists of High-Density Support Core that is designed to be flexible and durable. This should allow for support of the heavier areas of the body, which should keep the spine well-aligned.
- The third layer repeats the Breathable Latex in the top layer. Those opting for the Firm option aren’t likely to push through the first two to feel this, but those on the Soft side will enjoy its enhanced pressure relief.
- The fourth layer is comprised of Contouring Gel Memory Foam that should help customize the sleep experience to keep you warm or cool as needed (you can learn more about cooling in our top mattress list here). This is the comfort layer for those lying on the soft side.
Note: Full specifications for the inner layers are not available online.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We’ve given the Firm option an 8 on our Firmness scale, where 1 is feather soft, 5 would land as a medium feel, and 10 would be rock-hard. Those who prefer enhanced support should enjoy this level of comfort. We rate the Soft side more of a Medium-Soft, giving it a 4.
Using the Firm comfort level, consumers shouldn’t notice any significant sinkage and should remain on top of the mattress with their spines in a neutral position. Those that do prefer a deep hug should find the Soft option suits their preferences. This deep hug may make repositioning a little more difficult, so Firmer feel may be preferable for those who regularly struggle with movement.
There is a little more bounce using the Firm option, but there is minimal bounce on either side of the mattress. The latex responds quicker, so it should help the surface reform quickly, providing for ease of repositioning. The memory foam has a slower response time, but this should also help it form to your body, which could provide enhanced pressure relief.
Bellabed recommends that back sleepers use the Firm side, as particularly heavier sleepers may find their hips sink too deeply using the Soft comfort level. Those without these weight concerns may choose to enjoy the deeper hug this side provides. The Firmer side should keep you feeling well-supported with very little sinkage for enhanced pressure relief.
Heavier areas of the body may sometimes experience more tension as they push into the bed, causing soreness or pain. Most side sleepers should be satisfied with the deep hug of the Soft option, which helps to relieve pressure from these areas, like the hips and shoulders.
Most stomach sleepers will likely opt for a Firm comfort level, which should keep them lying flat with their spine well aligned. They should also experience pressure relief in the knees and shoulders, preventing these areas from getting sore overnight.
According to the company, it should be able to sustain up to 600 pounds.
The hybrid combination of latex and memory foam should help to absorb energy, keeping motion transfer to a minimum. You should find you and your partner (or co-sleeping pets) remain relatively undisturbed by others’ movements.
Using the Firm level for reference, sleepers may notice compression when sitting at the edge of the bed, but this is not uncommon for all-foam or latex products. There may be less compression on the Firm side when lying down, and this applies to the edges as well.
Edge support may be important to co-sleepers and those who wish to make the most of the entire mattress surface, but most sleepers should not find this of much concern.
- Multiple Comfort Levels – Bellabed provides both a Soft and Firm feel on this double-sided mattress.
- Trial Period – You’ll be able to test this product for 100 days and return it if it’s not right.
- Warranty – This brand offers a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – This product currently ships within the continental United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foam is made without formaldehyde or heavy metals such as lead or mercury.
- OEKO-Tex Standard 100 Class 1 Certification – This certification means that the latex is safe for children under 3 years old and is free of potentially harmful materials like cadmium and nickel.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
- Community Minded – Bellabed will work with you to donate the bed should you decide to return it. The company also asks that customers recycle the box used for shipping.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$670 |
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$690 |
From solid support and minimal sinkage on one side, to a deep hug and enhanced pressure relief on the other, sleepers of all kinds should find something to love about the Bellabed.
Overall, this product contains a lot of value for the price. All sleeping preferences should be satisfied thanks to its double-sided comfort options and varying levels of sinkage. Co-sleepers may be particularly impressed with the mattresses’ high level of motion control.
With a budget-conscious price point and certified materials, consumers may feel as though they are purchasing a high-end product for an entry-level cost.
Bellabed’s emphasis on recycling, donating, and providing the most bang for your buck shows a dedication to giving back. Community-conscious buyers should feel confident in choosing this eco-friendly mattress.