Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
No one likes waking up in a pool of sweat, but you do not want to get cold at night either. One of the newer entries to the online mattress world seeks to create a balance with a comfortable temperature equilibrium.
Launched in 2016, 4Sleep comes from a husband and wife team with decades of experience designing memory foam products, though this memory bed is their first foray into the online mattress space. They are looking to provide perfect temperature control and edge-to-edge support.
Our in-depth look at the 4Sleep mattress will explain how it stays cool, how much support it provides and how much comfort, as well as more features like bounce and motion isolation.
Read ahead for more details, but those who are ready for our overall assessment can go ahead and click to the end.
You will love 4Sleep if you:
- Need temperature regulation – This brand includes phase change materials in both the cover and the first layer of memory foam, which are designed to keep a constant temperature of around 87 to 90 degrees. Those who sleep hot should not overheat, but it should still be cozy for those who tend to get cold.
- Want pressure relief without feeling trapped – The top comfort layer will conform nicely to your shape and relieve pressure, but the more supportive foams beneath should keep you from sinking too deep and getting stuck.
- Prefer stronger edge support – Unlike some all-foam constructions, this design includes reinforced high-density rails on the sides so you will not roll off if you like to sleep on the edge.
You might not like 4Sleep if you:
Want a classic memory bed feel – Though it contains three layers of memory materials, you should not sink deeply into the layers for a deep hug associated with traditional memory beds that can leave some people feeling trapped. The thick base and resilient inner layers help maintain a more cloud-like experience of floating on the top of your bed.
Want to see more options? See our complete list of mattress reviews here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
4Sleep is a bed-in-a-box memory brand delivered directly from the company’s factory in Georgia. Because it is an all-foam construction, flatter surfaces like platforms, frames with closer slats, or newer box springs designed for foam beds work the best.
Its Cooling on Demand cover is a breathable, moisture-resistant blend of polyester, viscose, and lycra, which is integrated with phase change materials to maintain a constant comfortable temperature by wicking heat away when you are hot and releasing it again when you get cold. It is also fully removable and can be spot cleaned or machine washed on cold.
The combined layers stand 11 inches tall.
- The first layer has 1.5 inches of Temperature Responsive Gel Memory Foam that contours to your shape for uniform pressure relief. Like the cover, this material is infused with phase change materials that maintain a constant temperature equilibrium and a gel that will whisk away excess heat and carry it deeper into the mattress.
- The second layer has 1 inch of memory foam that is quicker-responding for easier repositioning but still contains properties that help isolate motion and relieve pressure.
- The third layer contains 1.5-inch Resilient Foam called Energex, a special formulation that blends properties of latex and memory materials, which cradles your body with quick-responding materials without letting you sink too deep.
- The fourth layer consists of 7 inches of high-density base foam that is built for flexible comfort and orthopedic support while shaping the mattress and providing a long-lasting foundation.
- The perimeter of the second and third layer includes high-density foam rails that help boost edge support, which helps ensure you are secure, even close to the side.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Brands in the Medium to Medium-Firm range tend to be the most versatile and provide the right balance of comfort and support to accommodate individuals in different positions. We scored 4Sleep right in this range at a 6-6.5 on our firmness scale out of 10 (learn more), with 10 being the firmest.
The cover is soft and thin enough that you can interact with the comfort layer beneath, and as you settle into the bed, the memory materials and phase change technology will slowly begin to activate and contour to your body while keeping the surface of the bed at a constant temperature of about 87 to 90 degrees.
You should sink into the comfort layers a few inches at your heaviest points, but the more resilient middle layers and the firm base will support your body closer to the surface, giving you a gently cradled experience on top that will not make you feel stuck.
Settling in closer to the surface provides two advantages: cooling and repositioning. Resting more exposed to circulating air pairs well with the phase change materials to help keep you cool. You should also expend less effort changing positions if you do not have to struggle to escape a deeper hug, and the overall response time of the bed is quick, which helps as well.
Though there is little surface bounce, a deeper-level bounce from the base and Energex transition layer will also help you easily navigate the surface. This is great for combination sleepers who can also appreciate the versatility of this mattress’ Medium-Firm comfort level as they change positions.
Most back sleepers (read more) will like how the comfort layer conforms to the natural shape of their back while the supportive materials provide good alignment for their spines.
Most side sleepers (full guide) will experience good pressure relief along their hips and shoulders where their weight tends to congregate as they rest with their spines properly aligned.
Most stomach sleepers (learn more) will appreciate the support of the Medium-Firm comfort level under their hips which helps keep the back in a comfortable position.
Size and body shape can have a significant effect on how each individual experiences a bed. For example, those who are significantly thicker through their midsection and sleep exclusively on their stomach may find their hips dip too low for good spinal alignment. If you are substantially heavier and rest exclusively on your side, your weight may push through the comfort layers without experiencing as much pressure relief.
Note that the weight limit for this brand is 450 pounds for the entire bed, so those with weight requirements that are significantly higher (read our full buyer's guide) may want to go a different direction.
All-foam beds with memory materials excel in this category because of their ability to capture vibration at its source and absorb it so it does not shake the whole mattress. If you share this mattress with a restless partner, you most likely will not have to worry about motion transfer and disturbance like you might with a traditional innerspring mattress.
This brand really does a great job with edge support, especially compared to some other all-foam brands in the bed-in-a-box market. This is due mostly to the thick high-density support layer and the reinforced high-density rails that form its perimeter.
If you and your partner share a size Queen or smaller, a mattress with great edge support will help increase the surface area where you can comfortably sleep. There is some small compression when seated on the edge, but the support is consistent edge-to-edge when lying down.
- Trial Period – You can try this product for 100 nights before committing to keeping it. If it is not the best choice for you, the company will come and pick it up and issue a full refund.
- Warranty – The company offers a 10-year warranty with this mattress.
- Shipping – Free shipping within the continental U.S. and Canada. Returns are free in the U.S., but Canadian buyers will be charged a small return fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – Foams in this mattress have been tested for harmful levels of substances such as ozone depleters, lead, or heavy metals and found to be safe for consumer use.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||$549|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$649|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$899|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$999|
4Sleep memory bed delivers a comfortable balance of support and comfort, as well as a constant cozy temperature that many will enjoy.
Some sleep hot while others get chilled. If you and your partner have struggled to compromise on temperature, this husband and wife team proposes an alternative that may help you both rest comfortably.
High-performance fabrics and foams integrated with phase change technology help to keep the mattress at a constant temperature, and the medium-firm feel of the mattress works well with a variety of preferences. Strategically ordered layers of memory foam work to support your weight edge-to-edge while still relieving pressure.
4Sleep believes the best rest should not be a compromise. With the versatility and balance of this mattress, you will only have to argue over the blanket.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.